• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Saiatz variant docs

caminka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
see signature
I have mostly decided on my next camino(s) project and it is very likely going to be spanish mountain routes, starting with via de baiona from bayonne or irún, I haven't decided yet. (I blame all the wonderful live posts here on the forum :). and the pictures O.O.) weather permitting, I will be taking the saiatz variant of the route (hills, views and less asphalt, so an easy decision for me) and made these two documents to that effect.

one is the description from hernaní to zegama and the other is an accommodation list (wip).

if anyone who have walked the route has anything to add or comment, it would be very welcome. or if you have any recent info on services and prices, also.

several possible accommodation options in the accommodation list are marked blue. if anyone can gather or provide more info on these - if they would accept pilgrims for one night, for example, and for what price, is there a kitchen or if there are eating options, when are they open - it would be really really helpful. I am especially hopefully looking in the direction of @Mendizale here :).

I tried to find any possible accommodation options, going as far as using public transport where possible, but this route is still tough for a starter route if you are on a budget. I prefer under 20km days for the first 4-6 days, to get me started properly.

thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Camino description BAIONA 4 variante de saiantz.pdf
    405.3 KB · Views: 9
  • accommodation BAIONA.pdf
    393.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, @caminka, true to form, planning the next camino moments after getting home!

The correct spelling for the alternative is Saiatz, and you may find some more posts here on the forum than what you have seen.

I walked with a camino buddy, and we spent our first night in Lasarte-Oria in a one-star nondescript hotel, and the second night about two km off camino (and straight DOWN) in a very lovely little hamlet called Errezil at the Casa Letea. Next night in Ormaiztegui in a pensión and then end of the alternative in Zegama.

Are you planning to walk soon or is this for next year? Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, @caminka, true to form, planning the next camino moments after getting home!

The correct spelling for the alternative is Saiatz, and you may find some more posts here on the forum than what you have seen.

I walked with a camino buddy, and we spent our first night in Lasarte-Oria in a one-star nondescript hotel, and the second night about two km off camino (and straight DOWN) in a very lovely little hamlet called Errezil at the Casa Letea. Next night in Ormaiztegui in a pensión and then end of the alternative in Zegama.

Are you planning to walk soon or is this for next year? Buen camino, Laurie
eeeeer, yes, even before I started on this year's wikilocs 😇. I can't help myself! 🫣

noted, I will correct the spelling.

I've read your reports, of course. you walked before covid, when prices were still reasonable. it's gone crazy afterwards. and it's also always easier on the budget if there are two people.

did you follow the road all the way down to errezil? lower down I found a lane that might be a little shorter to a hotel which is located a bit higher then casa letea.

hopefully next year but it totally depends on my financials.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
did you follow the road all the way down to errezil?
Well, for whatever reason, I can’t find my Wikiloc trails for the Vasco. I know I recorded them, but I have no idea what happened. I remember, I think, that we started down on a trail and then somehow got over onto a road. It was a very untraveled small road, but it somehow looped around and brought us into Errezil from a different direction than I had assumed we would come in. It was a very steep descent, my knees were hurting for days until Alun gave me some tips on stretches which helped tremendously.

I have mostly decided on my next camino(s) project and it is very likely going to be spanish mountain routes, starting with via de baiona from bayonne or irún, I haven't decided yet. (I blame all the wonderful live posts here on the forum :). and the pictures O.O.) weather permitting, I will be taking the saiatz variant of the route (hills, views and less asphalt, so an easy decision for me) and made these two documents to that effect.

one is the description from hernaní to zegama and the other is an accommodation list (wip).

if anyone who have walked the route has anything to add or comment, it would be very welcome. or if you have any recent info on services and prices, also.

several possible accommodation options in the accommodation list are marked blue. if anyone can gather or provide more info on these - if they would accept pilgrims for one night, for example, and for what price, is there a kitchen or if there are eating options, when are they open - it would be really really helpful. I am especially hopefully looking in the direction of @Mendizale here :).

I tried to find any possible accommodation options, going as far as using public transport where possible, but this route is still tough for a starter route if you are on a budget. I prefer under 20km days for the first 4-6 days, to get me started properly.

thank you in advance!
Hello @caminka !! Haven't visited the forum for a while, I'm sorry not responding earlier 🙏. The Saiatz alternative has a real limitation consisting in its poor accomodation offer. So what I have recommended to fellow pilgrims in this forum is first to look accommodation in Hernani, (if you are thinking to do the Saiatz, don't do at Astigarraga Santiagomendi, it would be a too long walking day), and after doing the stage n1 Hernani -Bidania, to go down to Oria valley and sleep in Tolosa. Much cheaper than the 5 stars hotel in Bidania. Public transport, bus, works perfectly in Gipuzkoa province and in this case Bidania is well connected to Tolosa. When writing the threads, I put the timetables on the thread. But can I send it to you if needed. On the next stage, in my thread, I recommended to do Bidania -Beasain, as its pilgrims hostel is so popular and the summits around, Murumendi and Usurbe summits are perfect Miradors to the valley and the Basque Highlands region, Goierri. Invite yo to check my threads.
@Ena Nova did this Bidania-Beasain trail in end April, I'm sure she could tell you something also from her experience there. Bye!

Last edited:
Hello @caminka !! Haven't visited the forum for a while, I'm sorry not responding earlier 🙏. The Saiatz alternative has a real limitation consisting in its poor accomodation offer. So what I have recommended to fellow pilgrims in this forum is first to look accommodation in Hernani, (if you are thinking to do the Saiatz, don't do at Astigarraga Santiagomendi, it would be a too long walking day), and after doing the stage n1 Hernani -Bidania, to go down to Oria valley and sleep in Tolosa. Much cheaper than the 5 stars hotel in Bidania. Public transport, bus, works perfectly in Gipuzkoa province and in this case Bidania is well connected to Tolosa. When writing the threads, I put the timetables on the thread. But can I send it to you if needed. On the next stage, in my thread, I recommended to do Bidania -Beasain, as its pilgrims hostel is so popular and the summits around, Murumendi and Usurbe summits are perfect Miradors to the valley and the Basque Highlands region, Goierri. Invite yo to check my threads.
@Ena Nova did this Bidania-Beasain trail in end April, I'm sure she could tell you something also from her experience there. Bye!
That's totally fine, I have periods of disappearance due to RL taking over too. :)

I took into account all of your advice already mentioned on the forum. 🙏 However, as I am more or less limited to the most budget accommodation I can find, I will most probably stay in Santiagomendi (the panoramic sunsets don't hurt either). That's already 7km before Hernani and that's why I was researching any other possible accommodation options before Bidania. And that's how I came upon casas rurales in Zazkarate, Siasoro (this one 2km off route) and Santa Marina (plus Mutiloa further on but I do plan to take the alternative of the alternative down to Beriain).

I was hoping that someone with more direct access to these locations (on a nice weekend hike perhaps 😇) could inquire directly on possible options for pilgrims. A negative answer is okay too, at least we will know there is no accommodation option. There is no rush.

I was also puzzled because I couldn't find any bus schedules that would pass by Andazarrate, at least not with that name so I could identify it. There is a bus stop there on the GI-2631 road. This would also be a possible option for a shorter stage. Do you know if there are buses? Could be in either direction if the connections to Donostia or Zarautz could be made in a reasonable manner.

My tentative plan for the stages based on known accommodation is currently this:

Bayonne - Guéthary c.16.5km
Guéthary - Irún c.26.5km
Irún - Santiagomendi c.19.5km
Santiagomendi - Lasarte-Orieta 12.5km + train to either Irún, Donostia or Zarautz
Lasarte-Orieta - Bidania c.26km + bus to Tolosa
Bidania - Beasain c.18.5km
Beasain - Zegama c.18.5km

What I would prefer my stages to be:

Bayonne - Guéthary c.16.5km
Guéthary - Irún c.26.5km
Irún - Santiagomendi c.19.5km
Santiagomendi - Zazkarate c.23.5km
Zazkarate - Santa Marina c.16.5km
Santa Marina - Beasain c.13km (incl. Murumendi)
Beasain - Zegama c.18.5km

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
incidentally, would the restaurant in Zelatun be interested in opening up a room with two beds for a passing pilgrim? or a couch? I can totally sleep on a couch.

Hello again, I have been looking at the rural accommodations you mentioned, as well as the possibility of taking a bus in Andatzarrateko Gaina. The truth is that there is no bus line that connects Villabona with Aia, so at most they go as far as Asteasu village. On the other hand, rural accommodations are houses that usually attract large groups of local people, and in summer Catalan or Spanish tourists fleeing the heat and looking for a mountain environment. They are not cheap options. You will find that any " pensión"in a town located in the valley is cheaper. So if you stick to the decision to stay in Santiagomendi, in my opinion you have two options: 1) one would be to sleep in Santiagomendi, go down to Astigarraga and take a buses/trains to Lasarte - Oria. 36 minutes going down Urumea valley to Donostia -San Sebastian center and then taking the train in Estación de Amara to Lasarte Oria. Then walking from there to Bidania. A bit complicated, but easily doable. I still think that the best option is to look for a guest house in Hernani. 2) The other option would be to sleep in Santiagomendi and walk up the river valley to Tolosa. Sleep there and the next day take the bus to Bidania and walk through the mountains to Beasain. The places in Zelatun that you refer to, Antonioren Borda and Agirretxe Borda, are only open at weekends and are well-known places where local mountaineers go to have a drink or eat. They do not offer accommodation. Greetings and a good start to autumn.

Last edited:
taking a bus in Andatzarrateko Gaina. The truth is that there is no bus line that connects Villabona with Aia, so at most they go as far as Asteasu village.
But there is one? From Asteasu there are regular buses down to Tolosa, so that would be a good option that could also be used as an escape route in bad weather too. The bus stop looks pretty new and is full of letter boxes but no bus schedule that I could see on 2024 google maps. Is it for a school bus then?

On the other hand, rural accommodations are houses that usually attract large groups of local people, and in summer Catalan or Spanish tourists fleeing the heat and looking for a mountain environment. They are not cheap options. You will find that any " pensión"in a town located in the valley is cheaper.
That was my guess but sometimes casas rurales are willing to accommodate pilgrims, maybe in shoulder seasons, so that is what I wanted to have checked. Even if the price would be too high for me, it can be an option for other pilgrims.

So if you stick to the decision to stay in Santiagomendi, in my opinion you have two options: 1) one would be to sleep in Santiagomendi, go down to Astigarraga and take a bus to Hernani (both in the Urumea river valley). From there a train to Andoain (already in the Oria river valley) and from there a bus to Lasarte - Oria. Then walking from there to Bidania. A bit complicated, but easily doable. I still think that the best option is to look for a guest house in Hernani. 2) The other option would be to sleep in Santiagomendi and walk up the river valley to Tolosa. Sleep there and the next day take the bus to Bidania and walk through the mountains to Beasain.
But the route goes right through Lasarte-Oria, yes? There would be no need to ride buses there. For me at the start of a camino, it's too long from Hernani to Bidania in one day, that's why my planned stage is Lasarte-Oria (with trains).
Another option would be to walk from Santiagomendi to Andoain and from there go up into the mountains at Arazolako lepoa on a red trail marked on mapy.cz as Andoain/Usurbil. The distance looks to be about the same as from LAsarte-Oria. Hmm. I'll look into this and add it to the description.

The places in Zelatun that you refer to, Antonioren Borda and Agirretxe Borda, are only open at weekends and are well-known places where local mountaineers go to have a drink or eat. They do not offer accommodation.
I guessed so. That post was meant more for fun then anything else. :)
But if someone would want to pitch a tent there, there looks to be a nice forest next to those huts.

Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I guess that I have a different view on accommodation. Maybe I understood wrong... Mountain hotels or agrotourism are usually family businesses and therefore the benefit is their way of life. Trying to get a better price because you are a pilgrim, in my opinion, is forcing the situation and putting these families in a position to give a negative response. That is what pilgrim hostels are designed for. Think of it as playing with their way of life. You pay the stipulated price and everyone is happy.
Sorry if my writing sounds too direct, English is not my mother tongue, it is only one of the four languages I speak and not at a native level, obviously. I wish you the best.

Maybe they can help you find the answers you are looking for at the tourist information office in the Tolosa region. They will surely speak English and French as well as Basque and Spanish. Good luck!

Last edited:
I guess that I have a different view on accommodation. Maybe I understood wrong... Mountain hotels or agrotourism are usually family businesses and therefore the benefit is their way of life. Trying to get a better price because you are a pilgrim, in my opinion, is forcing the situation and putting these families in a position to give a negative response. That is what pilgrim hostels are designed for. Think of it as playing with their way of life. You pay the stipulated price and everyone is happy.
Sorry if my writing sounds too direct, English is not my mother tongue, it is only one of the four languages I speak and not at a native level, obviously. I wish you the best.

Maybe they can help you find the answers you are looking for at the tourist information office in the Tolosa region. They will surely speak English and French as well as Basque and Spanish. Good luck!

Oh, that was a total misunderstanding. I didn't mean it at all in the sense that they would need to make a special price for pilgrims (although it is appreciated if they do) but more in the sense, are they willing to rent out one room for one night only. I know casas rurales are geared towards weeks and groups and whole houses, but some also rent out on a room basis.

for example. casa rural Saskarate has a reservation thingy on their site and I can start a process for a reservation for one person in a double room for two nights for €64 (€32 per night, minimum two nights). my question would then be if they would be willing to make an exception for pilgrims for one night only. for a price €32 that is a good deal and it doesn't require any special prices. and if it includes at least a kettle, even better.

I have added the link from Andoain to the Saiatz variant and polished some mistakes and other tidbits. this makes these beginning stages much more to my liking.

Bayonne - Guéthary c. 16.5km
Guéthary - Irún c. 26.5km
Irún - Santiagomendi c. 21.5km
Santiagomendi - Andoain c. 19.5km (with all my alternatives avoiding asphalt)
Andoain - Bidania c. 23km + bus to Tolosa
Bidania - Beasain c. 18.5km
Beasain - Zegama c. 18.5km (with the climb to Zerain then back down)

Attachments

• Camino description BAIONA 4 variante de saiantz.pdf
    419.6 KB · Views: 0
  • accommodation BAIONA.pdf
    409.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It could be of your interest that the historic farm Zarateko Benta / Venta de Zarate (recovered patrimony and closed. 800 metres before reaching Saskarate) has an attached refuge for mountaineers, open all year round and of course free of charge. Two tables and no beds, but one could spend the night there with the appropriate equipment sleeping on the floor.

I share another Wikiloc route uploaded by a pilgrim in 2013 Santiagomendi to Zarateko Benta - Venta de Zarate. 22 km. @caminka That pilgrim spent that night in Saskarate (try to contact them 0034 679 80 83 73 if it's still available to spend only one night I think they'll do some English, at least at a written chat on WhatsApp), that pilgrim also comments the possibility of spending the night in Zarateko Benta, it is well marked on the trail.In his Wikiloc trail the pilgrim described his impressions. I am of the same opinion that with a stormy or heavy rain weather forecast it is better to go by the valley.

Saiatz is a very panoramic and old Camino, but with fog, strong rain... You wouldn't appreciate it taking in count that is a very lonely trail, you won't cross almost no one.

Last edited:
Zarateko Benta and it's refuge for montainers.

Attachments

• IMG_20240913_092528.jpg
    IMG_20240913_092528.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240913_092500.jpg
    IMG_20240913_092500.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It could be of your interest that the historic farm Zarateko Benta / Venta de Zarate (recovered patrimony and closed. 800 metres before reaching Saskarate) has an attached refuge for mountaineers, open all year round and of course free of charge. Two tables and no beds, but one could spend the night there with the appropriate equipment sleeping on the floor.

I share another Wikiloc route uploaded by a pilgrim in 2013 Santiagomendi to Zarateko Benta - Venta de Zarate. 22 km. @caminka That pilgrim spent that night in Saskarate (try to contact them 0034 679 80 83 73 if it's still available to spend only one night I think they'll do some English, at least at a written chat on WhatsApp), that pilgrim also comments the possibility of spending the night in Zarateko Benta, it is well marked on the trail.In his Wikiloc trail the pilgrim described his impressions. I am of the same opinion that with a stormy or heavy rain weather forecast it is better to go by the valley.

Saiatz is a very panoramic and old Camino, but with fog, strong rain... You wouldn't appreciate it taking in count that is a very lonely trail, you won't cross almost no one.
I have seen mention of this refuge, but wasn't sure if it's still operating. good to know.

I'm not sure if I am already at a point where I can sleep comfortably without the safery of a house or a camping (and the shower and the toilet 😜). camping this year was new to me, but surprisingly welcome.

that is very cool news about saskarate! I can do spanish (but no euskara, sorry).

I agree about the bad weather. I am not worried about being solo, I do most caminos that way. I am working on both routes, with of course the mountain route the preferrable route if possible.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back