• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Run the Camino from Ponferrada to Santiago

Giacomo83

Time of past OR future Camino
Run from Ponferrada to Santiago
Hello everyone,
I’m Giacomo from Italy, and I’m excited to join this community!I’ve been running almost every day for years now, though typically for shorter distances. Recently, I’ve been inspired to combine my love for running with a new challenge: running the Camino de Santiago.
Here’s the plan I’m working on:
  • Day 1: Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo – 23 km
  • Day 2: Villafranca del Bierzo to O Cebreiro – 30 km
  • Day 3: O Cebreiro to Triacastela – 20 km
  • Day 4: Triacastela to Sarria – 24 km
  • Day 5: Sarria to Portomarín – 22 km
  • Day 6: Portomarín to Palas de Rei – 25 km
  • Day 7: Palas de Rei to Arzúa – 29 km
  • Day 8: Arzúa to Santiago de Compostela – approx. 40 km
While I’m well-trained and confident in my endurance, I’ve never tackled anything like this over consecutive days, especially with the variable terrain of the Camino. I’d love to get some feedback from experienced runners who’ve done the Camino, particularly about:
  • Pacing: How did you balance running and walking, especially on more challenging sections like O Cebreiro?
  • Recovery: Any tips on maintaining energy and avoiding injury over consecutive days of long-distance running?
  • Logistics: Did you rely on luggage transfers, and what essentials did you carry with you on each run?
I’m looking forward to hearing your experiences and any suggestions you might have. I’m eager to make this journey not just a physical challenge, but also an enriching experience. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
Grazie mille,
Giacomo (from Italy)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome to this forum, Giacomo!
You sound very enthusiastic and I hope you will hear from some very fit and energetic long distance trail runners. Many of us on this forum "wear" trail runners on the Camino, but the majority only walk it.
I hope you will get some helpful suggestions, and good luck with your endeavor.🏃

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
@Giacomo83 those are normal walking stages / distances for many pilgrims. If you run them what are you intending to do with the rest of your day other than wait for your luggage to catch up with you?
I expect dome of it will be spent resting and recuperating from the long run. I know I often need some time to rest and recuperate from a 30km walk. I expect the need would be even more after running that distance.

I expect dome of it will be spent resting and recuperating from the long run. I know I often need some time to rest and recuperate from a 30km walk. I expect the need would be even more after running that distance.
David, I appreciate your interpretation. As many here will know, or guess, my optimum activity at the end of a days walking is to find a decent bar / meson and replenish vital fluids, replace proteins and absorb some carbohydrates against the next days challenges. Vital as those activities are to me I am not going to run anywhere just so I can do them sooner.

My lovely neighbour Ron runs five miles everyday. Chatting one afternoon I mentioned that I walk between five and ten miles everyday. Ron's response was "Why?"

I'm sure the OP will have fun and, perhaps, in those long afternoons when nothing much happens in those towns along the Way he could go for a nice jog or something...

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Up THAT hill? Running... and 30 KM????

Good Luck, Buen Camino - and above all ULTREIA!!!!
But it’s a perfectly comfortable walk for most people. It’s only 30km, there is fair elevation gain but it’s scarcely mountaineering. Doable in 8 hours with a sensible lunch break. I would advise against trying to run the walkers’ route but the cycle route would be fine and it only adds a couple of km to the distance and removes most of the risk of a busted ankle or knee.

Hi Giacomo,

I did the CP coastal a few years ago in fastpack style. Your plan seems very reasonable. I don't your experience in running (road or trail), but I find running flat a lot more strenous than trail.

I went "stage race" style : as fast as felt comfortable without taking risks for the coming days. Also, the area is so beautiful that I took time for admiring, taking photos and a café leche break.

I didnt't use luggage transport, I went super light and still ended up with some stuff that I didnt use. I used a Ultimte Direction Fastpack which was great. I didn't have a sleeping bag which I regretted only once, and although uncomfortable, I survived.

As for recovery, I took attention to eat and drink enough (race style: I tried to eat and drink on the hour), a little nap upon arrival and a walk around town and a good meal after.

My regret were my shoes, I had trailrunners, when most of it was road or path and I would have been better off with a more road running or mixed shoe.

Anyway, I love big projects; go for it!! Great stuff!

Kindly,
Mo

Hello everyone,
I’m Giacomo from Italy, and I’m excited to join this community!I’ve been running almost every day for years now, though typically for shorter distances. Recently, I’ve been inspired to combine my love for running with a new challenge: running the Camino de Santiago.
Here’s the plan I’m working on:
  • Day 1: Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo – 23 km
  • Day 2: Villafranca del Bierzo to O Cebreiro – 30 km
  • Day 3: O Cebreiro to Triacastela – 20 km
  • Day 4: Triacastela to Sarria – 24 km
  • Day 5: Sarria to Portomarín – 22 km
  • Day 6: Portomarín to Palas de Rei – 25 km
  • Day 7: Palas de Rei to Arzúa – 29 km
  • Day 8: Arzúa to Santiago de Compostela – approx. 40 km
While I’m well-trained and confident in my endurance, I’ve never tackled anything like this over consecutive days, especially with the variable terrain of the Camino. I’d love to get some feedback from experienced runners who’ve done the Camino, particularly about:
  • Pacing: How did you balance running and walking, especially on more challenging sections like O Cebreiro?
  • Recovery: Any tips on maintaining energy and avoiding injury over consecutive days of long-distance running?
  • Logistics: Did you rely on luggage transfers, and what essentials did you carry with you on each run?
I’m looking forward to hearing your experiences and any suggestions you might have. I’m eager to make this journey not just a physical challenge, but also an enriching experience. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
Grazie mille,
Giacomo (from Italy)

Good Luck! The night before I started the Frances I had dinner with a chap who was running all the way to SDC. In fact when I left the following morning he ran passed me. I sadly never got his contact details but I was in no doubt he would achieve it. To meet him was a great start to my walk, he was very impressive in every way. In many ways he put me at ease. If he could run it, in 15 odd days then I could surely walk it, and so it proved!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Giacomo,

I did the CP coastal a few years ago in fastpack style. Your plan seems very reasonable. I don't your experience in running (road or trail), but I find running flat a lot more strenous than trail.

I went "stage race" style : as fast as felt comfortable without taking risks for the coming days. Also, the area is so beautiful that I took time for admiring, taking photos and a café leche break.

I didnt't use luggage transport, I went super light and still ended up with some stuff that I didnt use. I used a Ultimte Direction Fastpack which was great. I didn't have a sleeping bag which I regretted only once, and although uncomfortable, I survived.

As for recovery, I took attention to eat and drink enough (race style: I tried to eat and drink on the hour), a little nap upon arrival and a walk around town and a good meal after.

My regret were my shoes, I had trailrunners, when most of it was road or path and I would have been better off with a more road running or mixed shoe.

Anyway, I love big projects; go for it!! Great stuff!

Kindly,
Mo

Hi Mo,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with fastpacking! Your insights and tips are incredibly helpful.

If you don’t mind, I’d love to know more about your training. How did you prepare for the trip, and what was your average daily mileage? Any additional details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, and best of luck with your future adventures!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I'm starting the camino on sept. 27 in Leon. I'm a bit apprehensive to start the journey alone. Are any other ladies going to be starting then also and want to walk that first leg? OR, are there...
Hello all, Been reading all your very valuable posts and advice for a few weeks now in anticipation of starting tomorrow! Can only get a portion of Francés done on this trip (probably as far as...
Hi. I'm starting at SJPDP on Thursday 12 September. Quite nervous as the weather has been rainy and misty and my biggest concern is spotting the signs.
Hi Pilgrims! I am planning on starting the Camino Frances between Oct 10-13 and I was hoping to get input about a couple specifics: What's the weather trend for this year? Am I a fool to not...
Hi everyone - so glad to find this forum. have 4 weeks approx and intend on taking the walk handy enough!! to Santiago, onwards to Finisterre and Muxia. looking forward to it, and meeting some...
September 19, @FallCamino2024, (SJPdP) ✅

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back