Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Royal Pantheon, Nájera.

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
There is a tomb in the Royal Pantheon in the monastery of Santa María la Real on which is inscribed "Reina Doña Clara Huraca Mujer de Rei Don Sancho". I can't find anything about a queen named Clara. I have found that the wife of King Sancho II of Pamplona was Urraca Fernández. I suppose that Huraca is a variant of Urraca, in Basque or Navarrese or some other dialect. Assuming that this Urraca, wife of Sancho II is the one buried in the monastery, why. in all the scholarly posts on the internet, does nobody call her Clara?DSCN0212.JPG

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You always find such intriguing historical questions @Bert45 !

I am ignorant to the history but appreciate trying to learn more. I wonder if "clara" was an adjective, not her proper name. She had also been the wife of two previous kings (of Leon) who died, so maybe her name was disambiguated to be "clearly" the queen of Sancho II?

Here is a source for you to dig into; if you do a search for "clara" you will find references to Queen Urraca, wife of King Sancho II, which are copied below.

a) Titulatio:
"Ego humilis et seruus seruorum omnium Domini ultimus et tamen gratia Dei,
Sanctius rex et Ranemirus rex, seu cum clara Urraka regina (...)"
("yo, humilde y último siervo de todos los siervos del Señor, y sin embargo, por la
gracia de Dios, Sancho el rey, y también el rey Ramiro, y asimismo con la clara
reina Urraca,...")

Subscriptio:
"(...) regnante (...) Sanctione rex in Nagela et in Pampilona, et sub eius imperio
parendo rex Ranemirus in Uekaria (...) Sanctius serenissimus rex, cum prolis
Garseani, hunc testamentum manu propia confirmans (signum); Ranemirus
frater ipsius regis confirmans; domna Urraka clara regina confirmans (...)"
("reinante...Sancho rey en Nájera y en Pamplona, y bajo la dependencia del
imperio de éste el rey Ramiro en Viguera...Sancho, rey serenísimo, con su hijo
García, confirmando este testamento con su propia mano; Ramiro, hermano de ese
rey, confirmándolo; doña Urraca, clara reina, confirmándolo..."

I wonder if "clara" was an adjective
@lalaone, look at the lines of the transcription from the document dated 14 July 972 as well as the comment that follows: Inclita domna Urraca which the author translates as contemporary Spanish ilustre. He even draws the reader's attention to it, saying that en otros diplomas de documentos de otras procedencias se le adjudican epítetos similares. This is 10th century Latin vocabulary and style. The "label" on the sepulchre is 16th century Spanish and style. Those who designed the label may have had access to 10th century originals and taken interpretation and inspiration from them or, more likely, they may have relied on later chronicles and all that this brings with it.

Help keep the Camino clean. Join us in 2025 for the Camino Cleanup Program & Retreat
why. in all the scholarly posts on the internet, does nobody call her Clara?
for the same reason that nobody calls J.Robert Oppenheimer Jules :)
I worked with plenty of people who do not like to be called by their 1st name and use their middle for most of the time (I have a distant cousin whose name was Janet and she did not like that or her middle name so she decided to go by Net)
I think another reasonably good example would be one Princess Sophie Augusta Frederica von Anhalt-Zerbst who was known as Fricke ;)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Another possibility is the consort of this king:

Sancho García IV of Peñalen (1054-1076).
At the age of 14 he was proclaimed King in the same field of Atapuerca, where his father died, receiving the kingdom of Navarre relegated to its former borders. He was an excellent King who was called The Noble. He married Doña Placencia, Clara or Blanca de Normandía.

That was from this webpage:

The epithets Clara or Blanca may mean pure. See:

THE QUEENS OF ARAGON
THEIR LIVES AND TIMES
BY E. L. MIRON

The name Urraca, of pure Arabic meaning, signifying "brilliant in colour," was a common one in Castile,
So Clara or Blanca can make sense applied to the name Urraca.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Inclita domna Urraca
@lalaone, I've gone through the other relevant transcriptions in the linked document.

So we have clara Urraka regina; domna Urraka clara regina; regina Urraca preclara; and inclita domna Urraca. These are all found in 10th century documents. They are not narratives about this queen but legal documents that she herself and the king himself and others signed, mostly with the dates of their signatures in the years between 970 and 980.

I can't see who the author is who put these transcriptions of documents from the 10th century together but he appears to understand his business. He describes these words as epitetos dedicated to the queen, i.e. descriptive terms, and they all mean more or less the same.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Perhaps a helpful tip. Leaving Saint Jean Pied de Port until say Puente La Reina or Estella, your backpack is finally packed and arranged properly for daily use, feels good on your back, your...
Well friends, I can happy and proudly said that I'll start my sixth time volunteering in St. John the Babtist albergue in Gañon from next October the16th, to October the 31th. If you decided to...
Has anyone stayed in ventosa? Can you give some advice on what the accommodation was like please?
Does anybody have any experience with Huellas del Pelegrino in Porto-marin? Lone pilgrim, i am a bit anxious about sleeping top bunk. Recommendations accepted. Thank you.
Anyone been to this one and have comments on it? https://alberguessantabrigida.com/albergue-san-bol/ No neighbors, 260 meters south of the francés, turn off about 4½ kilometers east of Hontanas...
Today and tomorrow are our New Year celebrations, so for all Jewish pilgrims on any Camino Happy New Year!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back