• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Robotic Hiking Pants!

terryenroute

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances '13, VDLP '16, Salamanca to Santiago/Finesterra/Muxia '17, Madrid/San Salvador '19.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
No Thank you!
seems made from the same cloth as driver-less cars (and we've seen the effect of that - ahem - benefit!)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I came across this article in my daily reading yesterday. The subject of mechanical assist methods for doing a Camino comes up from time-to-time. In that context, I thought this might be an interesting development, and of general interest to the members of the forum.

BEFORE you read the article, consider that, at least IMHO, the SOLE / ONLY use for this on the Camino should be for a disabled person, with a mobility limitation, to overcome that limitation by using a device such as this, much in the way they would use a wheelchair or walking assistive devices. While this does offer a motorized assist for hiking, the wearer must still stand and walk to make this work. The exo-skeleton cannot move forward on its own.

Any use of this device by someone with full use of their legs ought to be disqualifying for a Compostela, it represents a 'cheat' in my view. Of course, it could be used anywhere, on any route. But, to qualify for a Compostela if you have full use of your legs - no. Feel free to disagree with me. But, if this is not nipped in the proverbial bud, what is the end-point?

The technology is fascinating. Yes, the current price is very high. But, over time, technology always becomes more accessible and affordable. I imagine that we will see sub USD 2,000 pricing in a year or so. Also, consider that you also get the pants thrown in, as the system is integrated to the pants (sic).

One wonders how it would fare in the rains of Galicia? I do not know if the apparatus is water-resistant.

Also, I wonder if and when our own DaveBugg will be asked to test this piece of gear, as he does gear testing as a profession?

Hmmm?

Hope this helps a dialog,

Tom

While i think the product in this stage is far from being practical... still impressive and i guess in some years we will see them in the wild. Like with smartphones, drones and whatnot. The first ones were expensive and of not much practical use, now its a whole different matter.

As to weather it should disqualify for a compostela... i disagree. Since pack transport does not (it also "makes you lighter"), since using a super light kit does not, since pre booking does not, since having a van follow you does not.... you get what i mean? For all i care they can make print a home compostelas for everyone donating a few bucks to the cathedral. Those wanting to have the experience of a pilgrimage to Santiago will still do it in their own means. Maybe this would also reduce a lot of the 100km-circus-groups.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I came across this article in my daily reading yesterday. The subject of mechanical assist methods for doing a Camino comes up from time-to-time. In that context, I thought this might be an interesting development, and of general interest to the members of the forum.

BEFORE you read the article, consider that, at least IMHO, the SOLE / ONLY use for this on the Camino should be for a disabled person, with a mobility limitation, to overcome that limitation by using a device such as this, much in the way they would use a wheelchair or walking assistive devices. While this does offer a motorized assist for hiking, the wearer must still stand and walk to make this work. The exo-skeleton cannot move forward on its own.

Any use of this device by someone with full use of their legs ought to be disqualifying for a Compostela, it represents a 'cheat' in my view. Of course, it could be used anywhere, on any route. But, to qualify for a Compostela if you have full use of your legs - no. Feel free to disagree with me. But, if this is not nipped in the proverbial bud, what is the end-point?

The technology is fascinating. Yes, the current price is very high. But, over time, technology always becomes more accessible and affordable. I imagine that we will see sub USD 2,000 pricing in a year or so. Also, consider that you also get the pants thrown in, as the system is integrated to the pants (sic).

One wonders how it would fare in the rains of Galicia? I do not know if the apparatus is water-resistant.

Also, I wonder if and when our own DaveBugg will be asked to test this piece of gear, as he does gear testing as a profession?

Hmmm?

Hope this helps a dialog,

Tom
Think I will just wait for the Tele Transporter , beam me up Scotty Roncesvalles please.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Again, there is way too much money in this world for people who have so much they love to throw it away, as they need more and more things to entertain themselves with,
PS for those who without the support of something like this (Just like a person in a wheelchair, who I have met a few times on caminos and are inspiring to say the least), these advances are a godsend.

Last edited:
Somebody else posted this in another thread. Don't remember if it is the same product or just similar.
at least IMHO, the SOLE / ONLY use for this on the Camino should be for a disabled person, with a mobility limitation, to overcome that limitation by using a device such as this, much in the way they would use a wheelchair or walking assistive devices.
I agree with this assessment. It is absolutely cheating just like an ebike is. To me it is ridiculous that a person on an ebike can receive a compostela. But if they can get one, why not someone using this device. It is basically at the point of showing up 100/200 k from Santiago and get your trophy. La de da.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
While i think the product in this stage is far from being practical... still impressive and i guess in some years we will see them in the wild. Like with smartphones, drones and whatnot. The first ones were expensive and of not much practical use, now its a whole different matter.

As to weather it should disqualify for a compostela... i disagree. Since pack transport does not (it also "makes you lighter"), since using a super light kit does not, since pre booking does not, since having a van follow you does not.... you get what i mean? For all i care they can make print a home compostelas for everyone donating a few bucks to the cathedral. Those wanting to have the experience of a pilgrimage to Santiago will still do it in their own means. Maybe this would also reduce a lot of the 100km-circus-groups.
I get what you mean. I am sure a great deal of the motivation by those that are the keepers of the compostela is economic. The more resources that are made available to people who really do not want a physical experience broadens the economic base for those across many caminos to benefit.
Walking a camino like the VDLP, or the Vasco to name just a few there is no opportunity for people to utilize the conveniences you have mentioned.
Not caring about the value of a compostela? That is a personal opinion that can't be challenged. It is what you believe and as I said I completely get what you are saying.
The compostela has real meaning for me. I give my compostelas to close family and friends to share a little of my experience with them. This year it will even mean more to me as I will be walking for my dear college roomate. We have been friends for 52 years. He passed away in February. He was all set to walk with me when he was diagnosed with a very rare and aggressive form of cancer. I will give my compostela with his name to his wonderful wife. She was the rock of the family during his ordeal.
So yes the Compostela means alot to me. Every time I see another "Convenience" like this or an ebike I may stay silent (or semi silent), as I know it is out of my control, and for a time it does bother me. This is why I walk less traveled caminos now. The caminos without ebikes, and contraptions like this one, and luggage service and Michelin star restaurants, tours and luxury hotels. (Can't escape that in the cities of course). But I do know it is a matter of time before even these caminos are taken over also. Just my opinion and in the great scheme of life, the powers that be will not be seeking me out to ask my opinion.

You might check out the other thread on this issue - I posted it earlier this morning,. Apparently, I overlooked this one. Sorry for any inconvenience.

[Moderator note: Link removed as threads have now been merged]

The moderators may wish to merge the two threads before it gets unwieldy.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Not caring about the value of a compostela? That is a personal opinion that can't be challenged. It is what you believe and as I said I completely get what you are saying.
I guess that is where you misunderstand me. But it might also have to do with the fact that to this day i have not been able to properly formulate it for myself.

The compostelas i have all hold value for me. Even as a non-catholic. What holds absolutely no value for me is the completely made up hype of having to walk 100km for it. I even find it - again very personal and questionable opionion bordering on breaking forum rules - contrary to what a pilgrimige can and/or should be. Thus my kinda cynic remark of having print-at-home compostelas.

But best not to have this debate here. We can continue, if you want, in private conversation without taking this thread offtopic.

Like Wallace and Gromit's The Wrong Trousers?

I must admit, that is where my mind first went with the title of this thread.
Just posted a short Youtube clip. That was the first thing I thought of when Bad Pilgrim asked, "what if they go berserk?"

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I’m so out of shape, I’m waiting for a drone big enough to carry me the whole distance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is a similar concept for skiing called ski-mojo.
There is a subset of people out there whose spirit wants them to be out skiing, long distance hiking or Camino walking, but whose body says NO. I am one such person. I have walked from SJPD to Santiago and most of the 800km was in agony with 20 days of severe tendinitis with swelling like an egg on my shin.
Last year, I walked half of the Podiensis from Le Puy to Cahors with 10 of those days in agony with tendinitis. Later that year I then did the Kumano Kodo, also in agony with two very sore and swollen knees that became sore in the training and physio treatments in the lead up to the walk.
I have now booked 3 weeks in Europe for walking and I have 2 weeks booked in Japan for skiing. Yesterday I went skiing and found that my sore knee made skiing painful and I could only manage a half day.
Now I am in a huge dilemma. Do I try to finish Podiensis? Or do I give up long distance walks and Caminos? Do I try to ski in Japan or give up skiing? Perhaps with ski-mojo and Arc'teryx pants it might be possible to continue to do the adventures that I love but as it is, I feel that I can't face such dreadful pain and the feeling of holding back my travelling companions and being a burden on them.
Is that cheating to use methods available that enable someone to continue an activity that they might have had to retire from?

Did I, (who walked 800km using a booking agent to book my accommodation and a baggage transfer to move our bags but who walked with a day pack of 5kgs and 20 days of severe pain but who turned up each day and walked every painful step each day with joy in my heart and a positive attitude, who didn't complain and felt that at the end I had learned so many valuable lessons about who I was when under duress), did I not deserve or had earned my compostella? Were my efforts any less than a super-fit, strong walker who walked with no injury carrying a slightly heavier pack than mine that was well within the weight that was comfortable for them and sleeping like a log in a bunk room because they were the ones who snored and would sleep through a hurricane.
I even think that doing 800kms on an e-bike would still be a sufficient challenge for some people and would possibly exceed the challenge that an experienced road bike rider would have over the same distance.
No-one is cheating anyone but themselves. If they do a Camino and fulfil the official requirements that let them get a Compostella and they feel proud of their efforts then whose business is it but theirs and Gods if they used bus support or baggage support or skipped stages or stayed in a parador. Those who felt in their hearts that they deliberately cheated, who got the stamps but didn't walk and didn't put in the effort when they could have, they will not look at their Compostella and feel pride, but again, whose business is it but theirs.
I am sorry for the long reply but I am rather sick of being told that my efforts are not enough, or not proper because I am not some stringy, super fit, strong athlete who only needs a toothbrush and a spare pair of socks and jocks in his super light pack and who sleeps in a dorm because 'This is the Way'. We are not all so blessed. I am a 60 year old, over weight woman with body and health issues and I will use what means that I can if that enables me to continue doing what I love, and at the end, I know in my heart that I have expended every ounce of my being and more to get to my room each day. That I have called on 100% of my strength and will power to reach the edge of town and then dug deeper to find an extra 20% to get me to my room.
Now I am off to find those Arc'teryx pants? Podiensis, here I come!

Most read last week in this forum

For the past six years, I have used a 33 L Osprey backpack, which has been fine, but it is always fully packed. I thoroughly understand that nature abhors a vacuum, so any available space in a bag...
Hi all The time is finally nearly here. On Sept 15th I'll be arriving in SJPDP to start the Camino. At the moment, the only thing I have to sleep in is a liner. Now that's it's getting a bit...
Hey everyone. My wife and I are flying next Saturday and starting the Ingles on Tuesday. We think we've got everything we need. I'm posting this here to see if there are any glaring mistakes in...
Good evening fellow pilgrims. I've been searching for an embroidered patch of a Camino symbol to add to my hat. Just looking for either a simply scallop shell or arrow only without any writing ...
I will be walking the CP Coastal from Matosinhos to Vigo later this month. From what I read and see much (maybe most) of the walk will be on boardwalk and paved surfaces, which may affect my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.