• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Riddle Me This Book!

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
So, after a long day on trail, we, after first showering and laundering, are now looking forward to a late afternoon snoozy rest on our comfy bunk. After assuming the required horizontal position the need arises for an interesting easy read, anything else being simply heretical.
After a suitable time these reading/resting sessions are usually terminated by friendly pilgrims suggesting it is indeed "drinkies time", the only thing ever taking precedence being the search for the correct way in which to exit the village the following morning.
Experience will inform as to how important that is.

Anyway, may I suggest downloading, to a sutable device, the highly regarded book from which the following is a selection, slightly abridged in order to remove obvious clues.

Put your riddle brain on then and here we go!

The sail in the distance was a barkantine, three points on the weather, bow hull down. Then came the night.
My ship was sailing along now without attention to the helm. The wind was south; she was heading east. Her sails were trimmed like the sails of the nautilus. They drew steadily all night. I went frequently on deck, but found all well. A merry breeze kept on from the south. Early in the morning of the 15th I was close aboard the stranger, which proved to be La Vaguisa of Vigo, twenty-three days from Philadelphia, bound for Vigo. A lookout from his masthead had spied us the evening before. The captain, when I came near enough, threw a line to me and sent a bottle of wine across slung by the neck, and very good wine it was. He also sent his card, which bore the name of Juan Gantes. I think he was a good man, as Spaniards go. But when I asked him to report me "all well" (we having passed him in a lively manner), he hauled his shoulders much above his head; and when his mate, who knew of my expedition, told him that I was alone, he crossed himself and made for his cabin. I did not see him again. By sundown he was as far astern as he had been ahead the evening before.

When you have de-riddled the riddle you will find my suggested book is available free, or close enough to it, on Amazon US. AU, UK, and probably others.
If possible try to download an Enotated version, wherein strange nautical terms, of which there are quite a few, are underlined, as above. Tapping on these will magically produce an explanation of their meaning.
Regards and ruminating restings,
Gerard

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yep, found it. Won't spoil the puzzle for others ...

p.s. - not free on Amazon for those of us in Oz, but only $1.54 all the same ...

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Sorry, but my last post printed the entire name, so i quickly deleted it! Not familiar with that book at all - should I be? It’s also available at ibiblio.org

Sorry, but my last post printed the entire name, so i quickly deleted it! Not familiar with that book at all - should I be? It’s also available at ibiblio.org
Its a fine, a worthwhile read.
In its day, a worldwide best seller. And that is saying something, as it's day was in 1901.

Regards,
Gerard

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh it comes as an audio book too.
I like those when I can't sleep.
I dose off listening........... (with ear buds!)

Off on a tangent!
Laurence of Arabia as an audio book was great.
The voice seemed just right.

I'm drawing a complete blank*. If it's that good a book surely it should be shared with those of us not familiar with it?

*caveat - I'm on camino so my intellectual brain is working at say 50% 😂, I always get a bit brain slow down after a week or so!!!

I'm drawing a complete blank*. If it's that good a book surely it should be shared with those of us not familiar with it?

*caveat - I'm on camino so my intellectual brain is working at say 50% 😂, I always get a bit brain slow down after a week or so!!!
It's a puzzle!
Those who work it out will get to feel pleased with themselves for having solved the riddle, and for being a smarty-pants.
Every single person who reads the selection gets the pleasure of dipping into a world famous, highly regarded, entertaining book and sampling its quality.
You will see from the above posts that some delight in not spoiling the pleasure others will receive in solving the puzzle.

We'll keep you in suspenders for a day or so others enjoy the search, after which,
WE SHALL REVEAL ALL !
As long as some nitwit doesn't let the cat out of the bag before the big reveal.

Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was going to surreptitiously suggest that his name begins with S. But then just spent a few second confirming that on ChatGPT.;)

I was going to surreptitiously suggest that his name begins with S. But then just spent a few second confirming that on ChatGPT.;)
And here's me thinking it was the name of his means of transportation that started with an S.
Damn. Now I'll have to download ChatGPT, learn how to work it, then investigate its omniscience.
That's a BIG Riddle!
Regards
Gerard

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello all, Been reading all your very valuable posts and advice for a few weeks now in anticipation of starting tomorrow! Can only get a portion of Francés done on this trip (probably as far as...
Hi Pilgrims! I am planning on starting the Camino Frances between Oct 10-13 and I was hoping to get input about a couple specifics: Ticket's are bought and I decided to start on the holiday -...
Hi all, Maybe some can give some advice/helping words for me to actually be able to go do it. I am feeling the need to walk the frances (i originally planned and wanted to do the primitivo for...
Hi everyone - so glad to find this forum. have 4 weeks approx and intend on taking the walk handy enough!! to Santiago, onwards to Finisterre and Muxia. looking forward to it, and meeting some...
I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong group. Feel free to move my post. I have walked 7 caminos, always in Spain (well, max 50k in France), the country I love. At the end of october/start of...
September 19, @FallCamino2024, (SJPdP) ✅

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back