• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Renfe - help with translation

thewalkingkat

eat. walk. sleep. repeat.
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo [2024]
Hi all,

I'm in the process of booking train tickets for my way home after I finish the Primitivo in August.

Generally, I'm okay navigating the Renfe website, but am looking for help from the Spanish speakers regarding an alert I am getting in the booking process. I can read enough Spanish for booking tickets and getting around in general, but this is a bit specific and I want to make sure I understand it correctly.

I'm looking at a train from Ourense to San Sebastian with one change in Miranda de Ebro. I understand that there's construction work on that day between Ourense and Monforte de Lemos (first train, Alvia 00621) as well as between Miranda de Ebro and San Sebastian (second train, Intercity 00282). "Transbordo por carretera" means that the train is not running and there is a bus service instead, am I getting that correctly?

ALVIA 00621
Con motivo de obras de mejora en la infraestructura, se realizará transbordo por carretera entre las estaciones de Ourense y Monforte de Lemos. En este trayecto no se admiten animales domésticos ni bicicletas. El tren circula desviado entre Miranda de Ebro y Castejón de Ebro no pasando por las estaciones de Vitoria/Gasteiz, Pamplona/Iruña y Tafalla.

Intercit 00282
Con motivo de obras en la infraestructura los clientes con destino Vitoria, Alsasua, Zumárraga y San Sebastián se encaminarán por carretera desde la estación de Miranda de Ebro. No se admiten animales domésticos ni bicicletas.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Google says yes, bus between the points mentioned, no pets and no bikes

not passing thru the stations mentioned ...

ALVIA 00621
Due to infrastructure improvement works, road transfers will be carried out between the stations of Ourense and Monforte de Lemos. Pets and bicycles are not allowed on this route. The train runs deviated between Miranda de Ebro and Castejón de Ebro, not passing through the stations of Vitoria/Gasteiz, Pamplona/Iruña and Tafalla.

Intercit 00282
Due to infrastructure works, clients traveling to Vitoria, Alsasua, Zumárraga and San Sebastián will travel by road from the Miranda de Ebro station. Pets and bicycles are not allowed.

Google says yes, bus between the points mentioned, no pets and no bikes

not passing thru the stations mentioned ...

ALVIA 00621
Due to infrastructure improvement works, road transfers will be carried out between the stations of Ourense and Monforte de Lemos. Pets and bicycles are not allowed on this route. The train runs deviated between Miranda de Ebro and Castejón de Ebro, not passing through the stations of Vitoria/Gasteiz, Pamplona/Iruña and Tafalla.

Intercit 00282
Due to infrastructure works, clients traveling to Vitoria, Alsasua, Zumárraga and San Sebastián will travel by road from the Miranda de Ebro station. Pets and bicycles are not allowed.
Thanks!

The translation I got was a bit funky, so I wanted to make sure. Don't mind the no pets/no bikes part as I don't plan to take either. ;)

Not thrilled about bus travel, I guess I'm going to see if taking a different route would be an option.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We took bus for between Monforte de Lemos and Ourense this spring in the opposite direction. Despite delays in the trains, the operation was very well run by the Renfe staff and we were pleased how well it went. I would put it in the category of "minor hassle". For what it is worth, the bus passes through some very beautiful countryside along the river.

The Renfe website was already mentioned in Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy somewhere between two of the infamous circles of hell.

What I understand is, your trip will have two disrputions and, as somebody mentioned above, such diversions are well managed by a bus service. Not the same, but they do work. A different story is regarding arrival times in your final destination, but considering the train stops precisely in the station where you are changing trains, Miranda de Ebro, you should be all right.

In fact, there is a possible workaround; since one of the two legs on bus is precisely the starting segment, you might also consider finding your own way to Monforte and get to know that area, it is an interesting place, a historical town, worth the visit!
Then, just get the train from Monforte to San Sebastian, and let Renfe manage the segment between Miranda de Ebro and San Sebastián.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well done for getting ths far with the Renfe website! I too had a good experience with a rail replacement bus service on this line earlier this year, though a long delay leaving Ourense meant my train was very late arriving in Santiago. Make sure you are able to get into your accommodation if you arrive when reception is closed.

Despite being a regular train traveller to and in Spain I rarely use the Renfe website as it's much easier to pay a small booking fee and book through www.raileurope.com or www.thetrainline.com as advised by www.seat61.com.

The Renfe website was already mentioned in Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy somewhere between two of the infamous circles of hell.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Well done for getting ths far with the Renfe website! I too had a good experience with a rail replacement bus service on this line earlier this year, though a long delay leaving Ourense meant my train was very late arriving in Santiago. Make sure you are able to get into your accommodation if you arrive when reception is closed.

Despite being a regular train traveller to and in Spain I rarely use the Renfe website as it's much easier to pay a small booking fee and book through www.raileurope.com or www.thetrainline.com as advised by www.seat61.com.
I agree it's often easier to get a ticket from one of the secondary sellers. Unfortunately for that ticket to have any real value it requires RENFE to actually run the bl**dy train

Haha, I‘m sure everyone who has ever used it agrees with that!

Thanks all for your suggestions! Since my return journey already is two days on different trains as I don’t fly, I‘m not too keen to include buses into the equation.

I tried some different options and it seems like going via Madrid and Marseille (not via Ourense and Irun as I originally intended to) could be a bit of a smoother option. Bit too much construction work in the San Sebastián/Irun area for my taste.

Always fun to navigate the trains of three countries on my way back home (and I kind of actually mean that as I enjoy planning journeys :D).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We took bus for between Monforte de Lemos and Ourense this spring in the opposite direction. Despite delays in the trains, the operation was very well run by the Renfe staff and we were pleased how well it went. I would put it in the category of "minor hassle". For what it is worth, the bus passes through some very beautiful countryside along the river.

I agree it’s only a short distance and I know people that done it and did not found it difficult, and the arrival was on time .

Most read last week in this forum

I'll be starting my first, short Camino in Ponferrada on a Monday, and have some flexibility prior to that. I'll have spent a few days in Madrid upon arrival in Spain—I'm there often and know the...
Is there any way I can send my backpack with a service like Jacotrans to an albergue if I’m staying in a different place? Is that considered bad form? My problem is that Jacotrans doesn’t offer...
Hi, I am flying into Bilbao end of July. Have 2 nights booked, but have not decided among my Camino Route options. Wondering how easy it will be to get a bus to Irûn or perhaps a bus to Oviedo or...
I was walking from Porto in May with a backpack, not planning to use a backpack service. On day 3 I injured my knee when I pulled some ligaments plowing through a heavy section of sand when the...
Hi all, I'm in the process of booking train tickets for my way home after I finish the Primitivo in August. Generally, I'm okay navigating the Renfe website, but am looking for help from the...
I searched but didn’t find the answer to this one. I’m only gong as far as Leon this time. I was going to send a suitcase from sjpp to Leon via correos but obviously they aren’t in France...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back