• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Recommended timing for Camino Frances

DandT

Time of past OR future Camino
spring 2025
Hello,

A friend and I are planning to walk the Camino Frances, beginning in St Jean Pied de Port, in the spring of 2025. Of course, the weather is unpredictable, but we hope to begin when the likelihood of snow is minimal. We also hope to avoid the biggest Easter
crowds. We're thinking of beginning around 24 April. Does that seem like a reasonable time to avoid significant snow? Thanks for advice!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I have walked that week twice.
You may have some snow, and you may not.
One time I walked there was 'some' snow, but bright blue skies.
Second time no snow, but near the top, low cloud with under 100m visibility, driving rain and high wind.
..........no one can predict.
If there is significant snow, the pass will likely be closed and you can walk via Valcarlos.

We're thinking of beginning around 24 April. Does that seem like a reasonable time to avoid significant snow? Thanks for advice!
I can't tell whether you will encounter snow towards the end of April or not. It's not really predictable. Though you can always change to walk via Valcarlos instead of walking via Col de Leopeder, if it's snowing. The Pilgrim Office in SJPdP will advise accordingly.

But: You will probably meet a lot of pilgrims who will also start in SJdPP around your planned start date. Because Easter is very late next year.

Easter Sunday is on April 20th and therefore close to First of May 2025. That's Labour Day in Europe, a public holiday in Germany, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Austria, Belgium, parts of Switzerland and many other European countries.

This timeslot is therefore ideal for many Europeans to start walking the Camino, as they can save days of holiday due to the public holidays. Towards the end of May there is Ascension Day, which is a total of 4 days, i.e. almost a week off due to public holidays (at least here in Germany). I guess, many people will therefore take the opportunity to start then.

Considering this it will probably be a good idea to book your accommodations early, especially for the first couple of days,.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello,

A friend and I are planning to walk the Camino Frances, beginning in St Jean Pied de Port, in the spring of 2025. Of course, the weather is unpredictable, but we hope to begin when the likelihood of snow is minimal. We also hope to avoid the biggest Easter
crowds. We're thinking of beginning around 24 April. Does that seem like a reasonable time to avoid significant snow? Thanks for advice!
The only place you may get snow on the Frances with a late April start is crossing the Pyrenees (I experienced snow and freezing rain at the top on May 1, 2018). After that it should be smooth sailing (with rain a distinct possibility, of course). So take a long sleeve wool t-shirt, a will beanie and a pair of gloves or glove liners and go for it.

Because Easter falls on Sunday 20 April in 2025, the Camino Frances will experience a surge in pilgrims starting the following week. In a typical year, there is a surge in pilgrims starting the previous weekend - Palm Sunday - leading into Holy Week - Semana Santa. The week following Easter Sunday, is also very popular.

This surge will create challenges for accommodations in the first week or two.

The best way to manage the surge and its affects on demand for beds is to be somewhere else during that two-week period. There are a lot of threads here, and online resources to help you make plans and reservations.

Because of the dates this year, I advise making reservations at least from Saint Jean Pied de Port through Pamplona. Once you personally assess conditions on the ground, you can adjust your accommodation planning accordingly.

Many people make reservations for the next three-four or so nights in front of them. Then continue this pattern on a rolling basis.

As regards snow, the "official" policy is that the Napoleon Pass is CLOSED to pilgrims until April 1. That is a local government preogative, in both France and Spain, to protect the pilgrims as conditions can get treacherous.

But this date could be pushed back if there is still significant snow on the route. This said, I have walked the pass TWICE during the last week of April and have hiked though ankle deep, wet snow. I have also encountered similar snow fall at Cruz de Ferro in mid MAY.

I observed, on my various Caminos, and later confirmed through weather sources, that altitudes above about 700 meters ASL (above sea level) can experience significant snow in Northern Spain until the end of May. Consider this when making your plans, and be flexible.

As others have said, if the Napoleon Pass is closed due to snow, walk via Valcarlos.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, A friend and I are planning to walk the Camino Frances, beginning in St Jean Pied de Port, in the spring of 2025. Of course, the weather is unpredictable, but we hope to begin when the...
Hi All, after having followed this community for many month I finally signed-up. I am starting my 1st Camino next week and have about one month time. I have read a lot about all the different...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back