Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Bed sheets? Are they always available?

Anthony Coyne

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugal Coastal (2018)
I will be starting the full Camino Francés on 16th May 2025.
I cannot get a sense of whether sheets/bedclothes are provided in all Albergues or not.
If not, I can see the logic of bringing a (light) sleeping bag or bag liner.

Can anyone advise please?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Usually you are provided bedsheets and pillow casings. Many times one-use plastic ones. Sometimes cotton ones. Sometimes cotton ones that are already on the bed and maybe not only for that very day.

Usually you can find some sort of blanket. Usually it is not freshly washed. Sometimes it is. Sometimes there is even a case for it. Sometimes that has also been freshly washed.

Personally, while i don't think there is a correlation between the "freshness" of the "linen" and the risk of bedbugs and the likes... i like to have my own liner and own sleeping bag.

Usually you are provided bedsheets and pillow casings. Many times one-use plastic ones. Sometimes cotton ones. Sometimes cotton ones that are already on the bed and maybe not only for that very day.

Usually you can find some sort of blanket. Usually it is not freshly washed. Sometimes it is. Sometimes there is even a case for it. Sometimes that has also been freshly washed.

Personally, while i don't think there is a correlation between the "freshness" of the "linen" and the risk of bedbugs and the likes... i like to have my own liner and own sleeping bag.
Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think these disposable bed covers are a terrible waste.
Are they recycleable at all, i doubt it?
Some albergues provide proper cloth sheets and covers.
I've stayed in albergue in Monreal recently, the disposable covers were optional for the cost of 1.50 e
Is it good for pilgrims to carry the disposable sheet with them to the next albergue and reuse it a few times to save waste?
I met one pilgrim who carried his own cotton pillow cover.

I met one pilgrim who carried his own cotton pillow cover.
A note to the OP: In case that you think that this is a good idea be aware that Spanish pillows are very long.

Is it good for pilgrims to carry the disposable sheet with them to the next albergue and reuse it a few times to save waste?
It probably is not a good idea to reuse these paper sheets because of the possibility of transporting bed bugs. We did reuse some but it was only a couple years later, on this forum, that I become aware of what I might be doing.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As stated no not always. On my CF I recall about 2 or 3 instances
Just bring a light sleeping bag or a bag liner
Good luck and Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
At albergues, you will usually be given a "fitted" or bottom disposable sheet and pillow case to cover the mattress and pillow or you may be given a cloth sheet and pillowcase that is laundered by the hospitalero. No top sheets. Blankets are not guaranteed so it is good to have a sleep sack of some kind (even if it just a silk liner bag.)

Yes, I also dont like the disposable sheet thing, however they do save water and electricity. In a small albergue that's several loads of linens to wash. In a big albergue thats LOTS of loads. If fortunate with weather, they can usually be dried outside as long as there are clotheslines. It they must be machine dried, that is even more electricity.

Drawbacks to both.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think these disposable bed covers are a terrible waste.
Are they recycleable at all, i doubt it?
I'm not sure if they are recyclable, but the instructions I was given by the previous hospitalera at the albergue I am currently at was to make sure the ones we give out go into the municipal paper recycling receptacles.

In the albergue in Salamanca, I was surprised to discover that the package of disposable sheets included a top sheet as well. Luxury!
Yuck! I can't imagine what it feels like to snuggle up in those!

I think some could be recycled per my reading. Not sure all can be. I have only volunteered where we laundered sheets or had only mats on the floor with no sheets though.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

In 2023 I walked the CF from SLPDP. In 2024 I walked the Vía de la Plata from Seville. For 2025 I was/am going to walk the next logical option - the Camino Portuguese. Seeing something different...
Did my 5th CF this past June. After the first two (2016 & 2018), I felt like that was enough. Then a few years later in 2021 I thought well maybe one more in 2022. When I got back from that one, I...
Update I haven’t posted in several days and stopped responding to comments because I’ve been simply too emotionally and physically exhausted and could not keep up. The Camino took every ounce of...
Can anybody tell me what the section of the retablo of the Chapel of the Birth Of the Virgin Mary (Capilla de la Natividad de la Virgen) represents, shown in the attached photo? Thanks.
My husband, Jim, and I have walked the Camino Frances twice from SJPP to Santiago, in 2014 and 2023. We are now retired in our mid-60's and would like to pilgrimage again in 2026. However, this...
Looking to book Camino Frances end of March. Good reviews for Walks in Spain but Pilgrim.es has quoted cheaper but can’t find any reviews. Any advice please 😊

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back