• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for which route?

IntlGuyJim

Time of past OR future Camino
Apr/May 2025
My wife and I (late 60's & early mid 70"s) are planning to walk just enough miles to earn the certificate. We've both had recent surgery that makes a longer trek seem too challenging (though hope to recover enough to take another stab someday....) We're both completely bilingual, she speaking Spanish as her native language, me as my second (since moving to latinamerica at age 7, and undergoing complete immersion.) I also can fake my way through some Portunol if needed.

My question is: Which of the three routes that make just over 100km is most recommended, and why? One factor is, we (especially my wife) will need to start the first few days with short distances, while we build stamina, so need plentiful options for lodging close together:

- End of French route, starting at Sarria;

- the English route, starting at Ferrol;

- the Portuguese route, starting at Tui

Thanks in advance,
Jim

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
All three routes could be good options for various reasons, but I would suggest the Ingles. It's a beautiful walk and you will have completed an entire camino.

You can easily break up the first two traditional sections in half to start.

Ferrol - Neda
Neda - Pontedeume
Pontedeume - Mino
Mino - Betanzos
The rest of the stages can be split also.

All three routes could be good options for various reasons, but I would suggest the Ingles. It's a beautiful walk and you will have completed an entire camino.

You can easily break up the first two traditional sections in half to start.

Ferrol - Neda
Neda - Pontedeume
Pontedeume - Mino
Mino - Betanzos
The rest of the stages can be split also.
Thanks! Any particular albuergas you would recommend?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I have just finished The Portugues da Costa. We were surprised to find that a number of pilgrims used apps. to find the shortest routes between A and B. This often meant they were...
Hello community, apologies if this has already been asked or if it is not relevant. I was thinking of doing a Camino (starting around end of November) and I am doing some research on which one...
My wife and I (late 60's & early mid 70"s) are planning to walk just enough miles to earn the certificate. We've both had recent surgery that makes a longer trek seem too challenging (though hope...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back