Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for newly married couple

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
First, congratulations newlyweds! I can think of no better thing to do together than walk a Camino!

Portugal and Spain are both beautiful, romantic countries. You will not have any difficulty finding the romance you’re looking for around nearly every corner.

Without knowing what type of accommodations you’re looking for, probably not bunk beds in an albergue, let me suggest that you 1) use Gronze.com to identify possible lodging at your planned stops, and 2) because your trip is not far off book ahead at least in Porto and Santiago.

I have now walked four Caminos with my wife. The very best thing about it is that you get to spend 4-6 hours together walking and talking. And then at the end of your walking day, you get to explore a new place every night and talk more about your day on the trail. It’s very special.

One hotel we very much liked in Santiago is the Hotel Rua Vilar. But again, it’s busy in Santiago so I would recommend booking a place as soon as possible. Bom Caminho!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Congratulations to you both have a wonderful walk together!
You don't say which route from Porto but i walked the Coastal Senda Littoral and Espiritual Variant this place below was wonderful and the owners were so kind and chatted in the garden by the pool!

Villa dos Corcéis​

Address:Rua do Ramalhão 7, 4740-364 Esposende, Portugal
Phone: +351 938 707 269
GPS Coordinates: N 041° 30.602, W 08° 46.259
And this one i have stayed in 3 timesCristina is fab and the double room spotless a short walk from the Cat hederal

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You don't say which route from Porto
It’s in the central sub-forum.

@Cristinabina, if you don’t know this already, Spain and Portugal both have a government tourism project that turns historic buildings into hotels, which can be very romantic and special places to stay. They are called Paradores in Spain and Pousadas in Portugal.

These are the official sites in English:

Spain | Portugal

Last edited:

@Cristinabina, if you don’t know this already, Spain and Portugal both have a government tourism project that turns historic buildings into hotels, which can be very romantic and special places to stay. They are called Paradores in Spain and Pousadas in Portugal.

Spain | Portugal
I was going to make the same suggestion, and also add that maybe you could drop some subtle hints to people who haven't yet gotten together to make an appropriate gift.

Search out casa’s. They are often family farm houses reimagined into hostels. Great housing and the families are all
Buen Camino and congrats

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Loved Porto--beautiful city and so much to explore on foot! A couple of highlights--crossing the river to the old section where the port wine tasting rooms are. There are several, such as Burmester and Grahams Port Lodge. It's been too long since I was there, but the tastings, at that time were either free or very low cost.

You HAVE to see a Fado (some similarity to Flamenco) performance. We prefer the small intimate places where the staff basically comes out from behind the bar or food counter and we are transported to another world, but some people might prefer a large stage. All is good.

I don't know which route you are taking, but if the interior, rather than the one along the coast, you might consider taking a day off and doing a boat trip up the Douro River through the vineyards. We were so consumed with the walking part that we decided to skip this day trip, and I wish we had taken some time out.
Congratulations on your marriage and enjoy your special honeymoon!

Hello! My husband and I are planning on walking this route starting July 16 from Porto to celebrate our honeymoon! I would love any of this community’s recommendations on romantic scenery, restaurants, and/or accommodations. We have until August 1 so I believe we can afford to go slowly and go on side adventures!
Congratulations. Get your luggage hooked up with a luggage transfer service. carry a lightweight day pack. Get a good Map and be prepared for big crowds. IT is HOT.. pay attention to footwear.. you will notice the affect of walking off road, on the road and cobblestones .. keep a good supply of electrolytes and sunscreen. Rest, eat and drink well , take a taxi .. every now and then.. IT IS your Honeymoon no need to have sour faces and bad attitudes.. you are just getting to know each other so be gracious and forgiving of each other. Don't let feeling override your journey.. Be open to experiencing what the Camino is in spirit and faith.. go to MASS... yes.. Go and sit and pray and be happy you have this amazing moment together... God Bless.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Spain | Portugal
Also, there are discounts for pilgrims (15%, I think) and for Amigos de los Paradores.

For Paradores - You will find that you can join as an Amigo on the official website (no cost involved). It gives you access to special offers and also you are usually offered a welcoming drink of wine or beer.

Loved Porto--beautiful city and so much to explore on foot! A couple of highlights--crossing the river to the old section where the port wine tasting rooms are. There are several, such as Burmester and Grahams Port Lodge. It's been too long since I was there, but the tastings, at that time were either free or very low cost.

You HAVE to see a Fado (some similarity to Flamenco) performance. We prefer the small intimate places where the staff basically comes out from behind the bar or food counter and we are transported to another world, but some people might prefer a large stage. All is good.

I don't know which route you are taking, but if the interior, rather than the one along the coast, you might consider taking a day off and doing a boat trip up the Douro River through the vineyards. We were so consumed with the walking part that we decided to skip this day trip, and I wish we had taken some time out.
Congratulations on your marriage and enjoy your special honeymoon!
Is there fado performances throughout Portugal or just big cities like Porto? I definitely don’t want to miss it - I worked for a year in Newark, NJ the U.S. “capital” for fado but sadly never got to go to a performance due to my commute.

I will keep that day trip in mind! Would you catch the river boat in Porto or elsewhere?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My husband and I are planning on walking this route starting July 16 from Porto to celebrate our honeymoon! I would love any of this community’s recommendations on romantic scenery...
Hi We are planning to do the Spanish section of the Portuguese Camino ( Tui to Santiago) at the end of August and are looking to pre book our bag transfer ( used Jacobean’s for Camino Francaise...
Hi, I will be walking from Coimbra ( or maybe from Agueda in case of a heat wave) and studying the map I saw that before Porto there are also wooden paths along the ocean like first few stages...
Here's something new that peregrinos on the Portuguese Central may want to look into-- Almost all the municipalities in the MedioTejo area have become part of a new e-bike network, where the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back