• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for a sunhat which doesn’t make my head sweat.

BarbaraW

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019/22, Portuguese 2023, Ingles 2024
I am fortunate in having feet which barely sweat, so seem immune from most of those foot problems so thoroughly discussed in this forum. Unfortunately, my head is a different matter. Even my late lamented Tilley Airflo, which I lost earlier this year, left me with hair that looked like it had just come from the shower.

I’m looking for a replacement with a good brim, lightweight, that can be obtained in the UK.

Does anyone, perhaps with a similar problem, have advice on a replacement?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Barbara, I agree. The problem with "sun hats" is that they all tend to be a solid material (especially the heavy and hot Tilley!) so although they keep the sun off I find them terribly hot inside - so yes, sweat, lots of it, so I won't wear them.
Simplest answer is to go for a wide brimmed straw hat as the air flows through
or! go "full tropics" (this is my Camino hat now)

a proper pith helmet (not made of pith anymore) - superbly cool, no trapped heat or sweating, light.

Last edited:
I have the same issue with wearing hats while walking a lot as you do, so I've been experimenting with "sunbrellas" in lieu of a hat, and I've been very pleased with a carbon-fibre design by Six Moons. Weighs less than 200g, and of course allows complete airflow around my head. The bonus is that it provides shade for the entire upper half of my body, and I'm not nearly as "worn-out" after hours of walking. I seem to need less water, too. Oughta come in very handy on the Meseta.

The bonus of the sunbrella is that it can also be used during rain (as long as the wind isn't too terrible). Dual-purpose is good! Mind you, I'm still bringing a desert cap (basically a baseball cap with long side panels that cover the neck), but I'm hoping I won't need to wear it at all.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Columbia Bora Bora Booney hat is the best hat for ventilation that I have worn.

The crown is mostly a mesh - it's the only hat I have worn in which I can feel the breeze cooling my very hot bonce.

I usually wear a single skin merino beanie that I can pull right down over my ears and neck if needed. No brim to offer shade, but keeps me (fairly) warm in cold weather and (fairly) cool on hot days. Weighs about 20 grammes or something, washes out easily every day and dries fast.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am similar in that my feet don't sweat much and never swell, while my head sweats quite a bit and gets hot easily. I have light, short hair so I almost always need a hat.

I use a few from Sunday Afternoons. The Adventure hat which has a wider brim and longer back. The Sport hat which is like a medium version of the Adventure, and daytime for regular life and some hiking I use an Aerial cap.

All are very lightweight and breathable. My top choice for long walks and hiking is the Sport hat because it gives me more coverage than the cap. Sometimes the Adventure one is a bit much coverage, but for desert etc I will use the Adventure.

On hot walking days I will occasionally pour water over these hats and with the breathable material it makes for a nice cool down, especially if there is a breeze.

No idea if they are available in person in the UK but you could likely easily order them online.

I am fortunate in having feet which barely sweat, so seem immune from most of those foot problems so thoroughly discussed in this forum. Unfortunately, my head is a different matter. Even my late lamented Tilley Airflo, which I lost earlier this year, left me with hair that looked like it had just come from the shower.

I’m looking for a replacement with a good brim, lightweight, that can be obtained in the UK.

The only protection from the sun that doesn’t make your hair sweat is (imo)… an umbrella. My Tilley hat is useless in very high temperatures.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

What about a lightweight Legionnaires Hat? My wife wore one on the full CF last year and she will be wearing it again next year. Yes, it’s not the height of fashion but looks better than the Viet Cong style and is light and packable and UV resistant.

I am writing from New Zealand where sun is a major issue. I am walking SJPdP in September and I am bringing my very light Macpac sun hat. Wide brim all the way round, super lightweight (unlike a Tilley) with an extended back and a cord to prevent wind loss. Have a look at the link, perhaps you could find something similar or have one shipped to you. Buen Camino

I think the key point of the request may have been forgotten - it is about the head sweating when wearing a sun hat -

well, all solid material hats, whatever style or brand will make the head sweat as with the snug headband all round the head and the solid material above they make a closed barrier - sure, they keep the sun off, but not the heat, so the trapped air? head sweats..

the only hats that don't make the head sweat are those that allow air to pass through the hat - straw hat, whether soft or solid like the modern pith, the style of modern sunhat that is rigid mesh all round with an opaque top - everything else? nope.

Here is a 'no sweat' modern sunhat - allows the air to pass through - so would sort the OPs problem and is less than £5 on Ebay. They come in different colours - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375491934389

s-l1600.jpg

Has no one produced a hat with a small internal fan and a solar panel??

Oh! They have!! 😂

this-shade-hat-has-a-solar-panel-that-powers-a-fan-to-keep-your-noggin-cool-3804.jpg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have the same issue with wearing hats while walking a lot as you do, so I've been experimenting with "sunbrellas" in lieu of a hat, and I've been very pleased with a carbon-fibre design by Six Moons. Weighs less than 200g, and of course allows complete airflow around my head. The bonus is that it provides shade for the entire upper half of my body, and I'm not nearly as "worn-out" after hours of walking. I seem to need less water, too. Oughta come in very handy on the Meseta.

The bonus of the sunbrella is that it can also be used during rain (as long as the wind isn't too terrible). Dual-purpose is good! Mind you, I'm still bringing a desert cap (basically a baseball cap with long side panels that cover the neck), but I'm hoping I won't need to wear it at all.
I second the sun umbrella. I used the Gossamer Gear one on the Lana in May and it worked great. (I still carried a hat for in town, however) I’ve tried all sorts of hats, but none is the best of all!
Buen Camino.
IMG_8099.jpeg

Although my kids will not allow me to wear this hat in their presence I have worn this hat for years and I think it is great. It is cool, can cover almost everything from the neck up and if it is hot you can dunk it in water to cool off.

Although my kids will not allow me to wear this hat in their presence I have worn this hat for years and I think it is great. It is cool, can cover almost everything from the neck up and if it is hot you can dunk it in water to cool off.
This is the "desert cap" I referred to above; I own an earlier design, but it's still good. I recommend getting the lightest-coloured one available (white if it's in stock), as you want maximum reflection of the sun's rays away from your precious noggin. Unfortunately, even this design has one flaw: the flaps on the side cut down on airflow around your neck/head, so it still isn't as cool overall as a sunbrella, but it's definitely better than a plain ol' baseball cap. ;-)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is the "desert cap" I referred to above; I own an earlier design, but it's still good. I recommend getting the lightest-coloured one available (white if it's in stock), as you want maximum reflection of the sun's rays away from your precious noggin. Unfortunately, even this design has one flaw: the flaps on the side cut down on airflow around your neck/head, so it still isn't as cool overall as a sunbrella, but it's definitely better than a plain ol' baseball cap. ;-)
I usually buy a white one but when I had to get a new one they were out of white and the only one in my size was the blue one. It was fine. Unless the sun is really beating down on me I keep the flaps on the side open so I still get airflow. I usually do not have any issues with that as I walk later in the year. Even if it is overcast and colder I still wear the hat unless it is below freezing and I wear my beanie.

Rain or shine, everyday, I used the UV protective hands free trekking umbrella Ivar sells in the Forum Store. Very functional and durable ( even in strong wind) with a wide canopy. Loved it! I rarely wore my hat.

I've been wearing these hats for about a year and do not have a single complaint. They are lightweight, washable, packable, sweat wicking, have a small cutout in the back to accommodate a ponytail (!) and are the first hats I've worn that have never caused a breakout along my forehead. Unfortunately, the company is US based, so I'm not sure what their shipping policy is.

Rain or shine, everyday, I used the UV protective hands free trekking umbrella Ivar sells in the Forum Store. Very functional and durable ( even in strong wind) with a wide canopy. Loved it! I rarely wore my hat.
I have one of those Euroschirm umbrellas as well, and they are more durable than the Gossamer/Six Moons ones however it comes with a price: it weighs and costs nearly 2.5x as much. (16oz vs 6oz and $97 USD vs $39 USD).
I sacrifice a little durability for a big reduction in weight and cost.
If weight was no issue the Euroschirm are a nicer umbrella, however.

I got a good lightweight cap from Decathlon.

My son loves this same OR hat with its optional flaps for extremely hot, sunny sections. He purchased it after burning his cheeks, ears and neck in intense sun at high altitude on the John Muir Trail.
I have a lovely Tilley hat I never use, and usually wear a baseball style wicking fabric hat, or a Columbia wide brim floppy hat that can be folded up in my pack. That said, I do hate "hat hair",but it is what it is. I bring an umbrella, but for light rain and do not walk in summer heat.

As somebody who is hair lacking (see avatar) I always wear a hat in the sun or carry a reflective umbrella - once burned twice shy - but my Tilly can be too hot and my Senz brolly is a bit short in the shaft to clip on to the pack straps.
So why not look in a different direction - a 100% cotton bandana? Wear it pirate style and you have enough at the back to shield your neck, drench it at any fuente (potable or non-potable), mop your fevered brow, use it as a table cloth at picnics . . . . Much cooler than using a Buff (and I have several of those too). Carry a spare or two of different colours as well.
Eye patch optional.

So why not look in a different direction - a 100% cotton bandana? Wear it pirate style and you have enough at the back to shield your neck, drench it at any fuente (potable or non-potable),
My other son has done this, too, especially walking on the Meseta in total sun all day, tucked under his ball cap...works fine, especially for guys.

I like my Stetson. Unfortunately the model is very hard to get in Europe.
It is mesh from the sides and solid from the top to block the sun. Also quite robust.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi, I can recommend the wide brimmed hats from Decathlon. It has a good wide brim, it's adjustable and it folds up small to fit into the side pocket on my backpack.

I can get pretty sweaty too as I do wear an Army wide brim cotton Fatigue hat. But, to make it work, I normally fold up a bandana, soak it in cold water, any time I can, and tie it around my head, but mostly over my forehead. Bliss.

BREAKING NEWS: Aliexpress has some head coverings that cover head, forehead, ears and neck down past the shoulders. When this is soaked in cold water before putting on, it does an even better job...now thinking about one of these head rags, with the folded bandana and a tennis peak only hat to cover the eyes from the Sun. Take a look;

I can get pretty sweaty too as I do wear an Army wide brim cotton Fatigue hat. But, to make it work, I normally fold up a bandana, soak it in cold water, any time I can, and tie it around my head, but mostly over my forehead. Bliss.

BREAKING NEWS: Aliexpress has some head coverings that cover head, forehead, ears and neck down past the shoulders. When this is soaked in cold water before putting on, it does an even better job...now thinking about one of these head rags, with the folded bandana and a tennis peak only hat to cover the eyes from the Sun. Take a look;

1722796155318.png

If we get up early enough tomorrow we can make the Pilgrims' Mass in the cathedral . . .

(I bought a hand held VHF/UHF radio from AliExpress last month - now I keep getting suggestions for cute summer sun dresses and hair extensions . . . like I said, view the avatar!)

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Village Hats have some good offerings - I go there because I take a size 64cm and they can be hard to come by.

This looks quite good though the swastika like emblem would put me off

or this strange but probably quite practical number?

Last edited:
This looks quite good though the swastika like emblem would put me off
That is Columbia's logo for years...no big deal.
or this strange but probably quite practical number?
I have seen a few people wearing these before, but the semi-rigid back flap could be a nuscience if it would hit on the back of certain models of backpacks.

Hola, I can appreciate your dilemma, so it’s a two edged sword; keeping the hot Spanish sun of your face & neck or have a sweaty head. I use a Tilley brand hat. They are made in Canada and yes they are expensive but carry a lifetime warranty (not sure whose lifetime). Like some of the hats pictured it has a mesh band just below the crown that allows airflow on most days. Best of luck.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).

I bought a cheap canvas brimmed hat with mesh inserts from a surplus store. When it is hot I use a cooling towel underneath it. Works great. I also have a cooling towel on my neck as well. Keeps me comfortable whether gardening or hiking in 35* temperatures

Last edited:
<snip>

I use a few from Sunday Afternoons. The Adventure hat which has a wider brim and longer back. The Sport hat which is like a medium version of the Adventure, and daytime for regular life and some hiking I use an Aerial cap.

All are very lightweight and breathable. My top choice for long walks and hiking is the Sport hat because it gives me more coverage than the cap. Sometimes the Adventure one is a bit much coverage, but for desert etc I will use the Adventure.
<snip>
I also use a hat from Sunday Afternoons. My model is the Charter, with a wide brim, mesh ventilation below the crown, sunglass sleeves (front or back), adjustable chin strap for windy days, and even a little velcro pocket to tuck emergency euro bills in under the crown. During 3 Caminos in different months (CF Sep/Oct, CP Jun/Jul, VP May) it never felt hot to me. They do list international dealers on their website. This model is currently $58USD in the US, and there's a 15% discount offer on the site.

I also use a hat from Sunday Afternoons. My model is the Charter, with a wide brim, mesh ventilation below the crown, sunglass sleeves (front or back), adjustable chin strap for windy days, and even a little velcro pocket to tuck emergency euro bills in under the crown. During 3 Caminos in different months (CF Sep/Oct, CP Jun/Jul, VP May) it never felt hot to me. They do list international dealers on their website. This model is currently $58USD in the US, and there's a 15% discount offer on the site.

In the UK they are marketed by Village Hats

https://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk but at $70!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

That sounds like a GREAT hat. I will look for it in the US. Super light. Mine is not so light.

I knew I could rely on members of this forum to come up with helpful suggestions and good humour. The panama hats look perfect, but an unwise expensive purchase given my propensity to lose things. An umbrella would certainly do the job but too much additional weight for me as I think I'd still need to carry rainwear.

The Sunday Afternoon hats with mesh sides look like a good bet and may well be my ultimate choice. But first I will certainly explore the kerchief idea. I have actually made one for a friend which incorporates a visor at the front, so will revisit that. I may also run up a drape-over hood as suggested by Michelle
and see how it works for me.

I really liked David's no sweat modern sunhat with mesh sides, though it's polyester and only comes in one size. Which is probably large. It's cheap enough to try out.

Whilst searching myself, before posting, I found this. Which seemed like a good idea for a minute or two!

Thank you all.

Attachments

• 1722844472189.png
    1722844472189.png
    427 KB · Views: 17
Hi, I can recommend the wide brimmed hats from Decathlon. It has a good wide brim, it's adjustable and it folds up small to fit into the side pocket on my backpack.
Another vote for the Decathlon hats - I have a big head and the larger size comfortably fits my head and a ponytail with some room to spare: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/women...00-pale-green/_/R-p-302967?mc=8731355&c=green

It’s nice and lightweight and folds up easily to stuff into the top pocket of my rucksack when not needed. I lost mine on the last day of my recent Camino and will definitely be repurchasing!

My son loves this same OR hat with its optional flaps for extremely hot, sunny sections. He purchased it after burning his cheeks, ears and neck in intense sun at high altitude on the John Muir Trail.
I have a lovely Tilley hat I never use, and usually wear a baseball style wicking fabric hat, or a Columbia wide brim floppy hat that can be folded up in my pack. That said, I do hate "hat hair",but it is what it is. I bring an umbrella, but for light rain and do not walk in summer heat.
I too will never walk in the summer heat. I started the VDLP on about October 18 a few years back and it was 90+F every day for over a week. It was brutal for me, I will take 25F over 90F any day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I too will never walk in the summer heat. I started the VDLP on about October 18 a few years back and it was 90+F every day for over a week. It was brutal for me, I will take 25F over 90F any day.
I feel the same way as you do about heat and starting my camino to Santiago next March from Algeciras has me worried about the heat. I will be testing out the cool hat from the company, G-HEAT that carries not only cool hats but cool tshirts. Let’s hope they work.

I feel the same way as you do about heat and starting my camino to Santiago next March from Algeciras has me worried about the heat. I will be testing out the cool hat from the company, G-HEAT that carries not only cool hats but cool tshirts. Let’s hope they work.
I went to their website to check it out. I saw this hat and it is very similar to the hat that I referenced. I have no idea if the G-HEAT hat will keep you cooler than the Outdoor Research sun hat. The prices are about the same, The only advantage that I see with the OR hat is that you can take the neck and face flaps if you choose not to wear it. There is also a string that allows you to tighten the flap against your face to protect from the sun even more. I do not know about G-HEAT but the OR hat has a lifetime guarantee. I hope the G-HEAT hat is great for you.

That sounds like a GREAT hat. I will look for it in the US. Super light. Mine is not so light.
I've probably miscommunicated — the sunbrella I'm using isn't worn on your head like a hat, it's an umbrella that you carry by hand (or strap to your shoulder straps). I've tried thirty-dollar collapsible ones from Amazon etc., but their design makes 'em surprisingly heavy: after walking for an hour or so holding 'em by hand, my hand's really quite tired. The Six Moons sunbrella doesn't seem to fatigue me (I just checked my spreadsheet, my example weighs 179g [6.3 ounces]). Stupidly light!

'Cause I'm a Canuck, I used a Canadian website/company to buy mine.

This U.S. website (Garage Grown Gear) sells 'em here:

Picture attached:

Silver_Shadow_Carbon_2019_1800x1800_b91bad74-2e9c-4fb3-ad48-c27ae2966b23 copy.jpg

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

This is good to know. I've seen these online but wasn't sure if they'd be as cool as my other ones.
(Meaning "Cool" temp wise. The charter hat looks cooler, style-wise).

I went to their website to check it out. I saw this hat and it is very similar to the hat that I referenced. I have no idea if the G-HEAT hat will keep you cooler than the Outdoor Research sun hat. The prices are about the same, The only advantage that I see with the OR hat is that you can take the neck and face flaps if you choose not to wear it. There is also a string that allows you to tighten the flap against your face to protect from the sun even more. I do not know about G-HEAT but the OR hat has a lifetime guarantee. I hope the G-HEAT hat is great for you.

I will Be testing both products and will keep you advised.

I took a Six Moon umbrella with me on Camino last year and it was great! Lightweight and effective! I didn’t have the silver one (mine is blue) but it still reflected the sun and kept me cool. The only thing is that to save weight, it doesn’t collapse as much as some umbrellas (I think it is 24 in. long) but I found it easy to store when not using in a deep side pocket that my backpack had, so that wasn’t a problem. I loved how it snapped into the holder attached to my backpack strap, so it was totally hands free.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I took a Six Moon umbrella with me on Camino last year and it was great! Lightweight and effective! I didn’t have the silver one (mine is blue) but it still reflected the sun and kept me cool. The only thing is that to save weight, it doesn’t collapse as much as some umbrellas (I think it is 24 in. long) but I found it easy to store when not using in a deep side pocket that my backpack had, so that wasn’t a problem. I loved how it snapped into the holder attached to my backpack strap, so it was totally hands free.
Yes, the Six Moons ultralight carbon-fibre design has no collapsible centre section, so it's still a bit awkward to put in your pack for trans-shipping via checked baggage on airlines, plus carbon-fibre is very strong in tension but not in compression (i.e., the centre pole can be crushed by careless luggage handling staff). To overcome this problem, I'm using a heavy-duty shipping tube to pack the sunbrella on the flight(s) to Biarritz. After that, I'll jettison the shipping tube because of its weight. I don't care nearly as much if the sunbrella survives the return flights.

I use this rain or shine in my CF and CP. and it seems like it will last until my planned Del Norte + Primitivo. It is very cheap and lightweight.

David, how do you carry the hat when you're not wearing it? And have you ever seen a woman wearing one? I'm not too concerned about fashion, but I'm not enough of an eccentric old lady to wear "Viet Cong Army" style!
Clip it to the outside of your pack. And as you may know, anything goes on the Camino when it comes to fashion, and it's so refreshing to not care what we look like. You'll also strike up some fun conversations!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I wear a sun hat from a company called Personal Cooling clothing it is light, wide brim and the best I have ever owned. I own 3 one for home, car and motorhome

Attachments

• IMG_1740.jpeg
    IMG_1740.jpeg
    786.1 KB · Views: 13
You've hit upon one of my favorite topics: hats. I have several hats and all are "crushable"or "foldable". They each have their purpose (casual, picnics, knockabout etc) but they must be packable in carry-on or in a pack. For my Caminos, the customizeable wide brim straw hat (profile pic at Villalacazar de Sirga) worked great for sun block and kept my head, ears and neck from sunburn and the noggin did not get sweaty. The straw hat goes with me wherever it is hot (and humid). My wife now has more crushable straw hats while I only have only the 33 yo trusty Scala. That is value and longevity. Once at immigration in asia, the customs officer asked where he could buy the hat. Unfortunately, the hat was bought on a whim at a farmers market in downtown Portland, so I could not help him.

But here another type of straw hat one online: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1865604986...lp:2332490&itmmeta=01J519DWJSPD5NXD3ZJ1JW5NCY

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.