• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recent CPI experiences

paddypanda

Time of past OR future Camino
Inglés (22), Variante Espiritual (24), CPI (25)
Hello
I've read through a lot of the threads & conversations on here about the CPI. It looks so beautiful & as a slow walker I feel panicked by the "bed race" on busy-busy Caminos so the quiet appeals too.

I was wondering if anyone has recently walked the route might be able to comment on how good the sign-posting was- could you rely on arrows & gronze or did you need to use GPS?

Also, how was communication with the albergues? I speak Spanish well enough to get the gist of slow instructions in Portuguese but a telephone call would be beyond my skills!

Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did the CPI, dividing it in two because of the Covid panic, starting in Coimbra and finishing last year. The signposting was pretty good but I did download GPX tracks onto my phone as a backup. I don't recall using the phone much.

In terms of communicating with accommodation providers, many now use WhatsApp and that of course makes life very easy. I also have nowhere near enough language skills to manage a conversation in Portuguese!

Were their lots of albergues on the CPI? I notice on the Torres they seem to disappear when you cross over into Portugal and, while there are a few, I'm forced to rely much more on small hotels and the like for the Torres and Geira than I'm used to, instead of albergues. What's it like on the CPI?

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Were their lots of albergues on the CPI? I notice on the Torres they seem to disappear when you cross over into Portugal and, while there are a few, I'm forced to rely much more on small hotels and the like for the Torres and Geira than I'm used to, instead of albergues. What's it like on the CPI?
Yes there are. It's a bit like the Madrid in that way - not a well-trodden route but one with a decent albergue network. Most of the albergues are converted schools.

I've read through a lot of the threads & conversations on here about the CPI. It looks so beautiful & as a slow walker I feel panicked by the "bed race" on busy-busy Caminos so the quiet appeals too.
It'll be a great camino for you with those parameters as it is indeed quiet and beautiful!

I was wondering if anyone has recently walked the route might be able to comment on how good the sign-posting was- could you rely on arrows & gronze or did you need to use GPS?
Comment from me early on the CPI in 2022:

The arrows have been very good so far. Today there was one turn that we missed because the arrow must have been removed, but other than that they have been very clear. We have tracks as a backup.

Also, how was communication with the albergues? I speak Spanish well enough to get the gist of slow instructions in Portuguese but a telephone call would be beyond my skills!
We speak Portuguese so it's hard to say, but remember that Portuguese people don't like being spoken to in Spanish for complex historical reasons - better to start with English and use Spanish as a last resort.

It'll be a great camino for you with those parameters as it is indeed quiet and beautiful!

Comment from me early on the CPI in 2022:

We speak Portuguese so it's hard to say, but remember that Portuguese people don't like being spoken to in Spanish for complex historical reasons - better to start with English and use Spanish as a last resort.
Thank you very much for the detailed reply 🤩
I struggle to practice the little Portuguese I have as I know I will stray into Spanish & I understand the offence that can cause! But thank you for the reminder 😊

I think I am decided this will be my next route starting next April!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I did the CPI, dividing it in two because of the Covid panic, starting in Coimbra and finishing last year. The signposting was pretty good but I did download GPX tracks onto my phone as a backup. I don't recall using the phone much.

In terms of communicating with accommodation providers, many now use WhatsApp and that of course makes life very easy. I also have nowhere near enough language skills to manage a conversation in Portuguese!
Thank you that is good to know - I'll download WikiLoc as a back up.
Fingers crossed I won't need it as disconnecting from my phone is part of the Camino joy!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I've read through a lot of the threads & conversations on here about the CPI. It looks so beautiful & as a slow walker I feel panicked by the "bed race" on busy-busy Caminos so the quiet...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.