• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recap of My Camino from Vigo + Variante Espiritual with Tips and Accomodations

sps1221

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2024
Camino Norte
Very grateful for this forum and all the many posts and recommendations that helped me plan my camino step by step. I had a terrific Camino experience and wanted to share my itinerary for those who might find it helpful in the future. I walked this camino alone as a single female with financial flexibility.

Leg: Porto to Valenca / Tui
  • Date: Friday, May 31, 2024
  • Transportation: Bolt taxi app to Porto Camphana, then train to Valenca do Minho (https://www.renfe.com/es/en)
  • Accommodation: Parador de Tui (Would probably choose to stay somewhere else, has pilgrim price which includes breakfast, but at around 150 Euros, I would stay somewhere cheaper)
  • Commentary: Took the train to Valenca from Porto and walked across the river to Tui - Realized I actually wanted to take the coastal route instead of the central route and took the bus from Tui to Vigo the next day. Be sure to check out the fort at Sunset - gorgeous views
  • Food: Dinner at Fronteira (delicious, a little bit of a wait)
Leg: Tui to Vigo
  • Date: Saturday, June 1, 2024
  • Transportation: Bus from Tui to Vigo (about 45 minutes) - Remember there is a 1 hr time difference between Portugal and Spain. The timetable was wrong on Google maps and I showed up to the bus one hour too early.
  • Accommodation: Airbnb - great, would absolutely stay here again. Amazing location.
  • Commentary: Vigo is beautiful. I stayed here two nights as everyone suggested and would recommend doing that as well. Went to Cies island and booked a ticket the day of with Mar de Ons. I bought a ticket in person at their ticket office, Oficinas Comerciales Naviera Mar de Ons. Took the 3:30pm boat out and came back on the last boat. Highly recommend the Principe hike and spending some time on the beach. Took free walking tours booked on Guruwalk.
  • Food: Delicious chicken caesar salad at La Mar Ensalada
Leg: Vigo to Redondela
  • Date: Monday, June 3, 2024
  • Transportation: First day of walking ~3 hours. Forgot to use Camino Ninja and accidentally used Google Maps, which had me walking through and along the highway for some parts. Whoops! It was super hot on this day in the afternoon so would probably recommend walking earlier if it's hot out. No shade.
  • Accommodation: Airbnb - great, would stay here again. No private bathroom and a bit of an uphill walk, but this is right on the camino.
  • Commentary: Used Top Santiago (highly recommend) for all of my baggage and they drop off your bag at Cafe Farola.
  • Food: Not much was open on Monday. Had grilled fish at Villa Bella (this was pretty good, the pasta was a huge portion and not as tasty). Do recommend getting breakfast at Cafe Farola (the egg pancake was delicious)
Leg: Redondela to Pontevedra
  • Date: Tuesday, June 4, 2024
  • Transportation: ~ 6 hours of walking. Hard-ish day. There were stands along the way, selling camino souvenirs, water, snacks, and smoothies (towards the end of the day)
  • Accommodation: Nikkis Loft on Booking.com, Also a great place with washer and detergent, shampoo, conditioner. Would stay here again!
  • Commentary: Recommended to stay two nights and I agree. Loved exploring the city, churches, museums.
  • Food: Had a nice lunch at Ria de Arcade, just off the camino.
Leg: Pontevedra to Combarro
  • Date: Thursday, June 6, 2024
  • Transportation: ~ 3 hours of walking. Beautiful getting into Combarro.
  • Accommodation: Casa Noelmar, great location, had some trouble with the washer. You need to click the basket closed. They need to give you the keys so you have to arrange a pre-planned time to coordinate key pickup. Extra bedroom so maybe pick up another pilgrim along the way? Felt a little big for what I needed and pricier than other places I stayed on the Camino (80 euros). Might find another single room accommodation if you can find one.
  • Commentary: Someone on this forum recommended stopping overnight in Combarro and I completely agree. Combarro to Armenteira is a 3 hour climb, mostly uphill. I wouldn't have wanted to do this climb after 3 hrs of walking already and Combarro is just SO quaint. Stay a night here if you have the time. You won't regret it.
  • Food: You must eat at Tintanegra. Omg, it was so good, I ate there for breakfast the next day.
Leg: Combarro to Armenteira
  • Date: Friday, June 7, 2024
  • Transportation: ~ 3 hours of walking. Totally uphill, pretty remote. This was the only day I got a little scared walking by myself. There was a guy who drove quickly up the hill and then 10 minutes later, came back down, blasting metal music. It was just a little unsettling. Today was also a super hot day so it was a mistake to leave so late. There is some shade, but not much. If it is hot today, leave earlier (I leave at noon). If you can walk with someone or walk when more people are walking, I would recommend this.
  • Accommodation: Monastery of Armenteira, someone recommended staying here if you could. I totally agree. I stayed two nights (the minimum requested) and just loved it. Sister Paula and the other sisters are so wonderful. If you are willing to stay the requested two night minimum, email Sister Paula at hospederia@monasteriodearmenteira.es as soon as possible with your dates. I was able to stay here because I emailed in advance, abiding by the requested minimum stay. Walk ups are nearly impossible for this place because they are highly utilized as a retreat center.
  • Commentary: There is a nice cafe outside of the Monastery of Armenteira, and I would recommend it. Great place to refuel, Bar O Comercio (nice coffee, bar snacks, fresh OJ)
  • Food: I ate the simple and delicious food offered by the monastery.
Leg: Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa
  • Date: Sunday, June 9, 2024
  • Transportation: Long walk today ~6 hours. It is the MOST BEAUTIFUL DAY of my entire camino. WOW. The route of stone and water is breathtaking. Take your time and enjoy it!
  • Accommodation: On Airbnb, but cheaper on Booking.com. Right across from the boat that takes you inland to Padron. Greets you as you walk across the bridge into town. Views are incredible from this place. Includes an extra room, pickup another pilgrim to share the room! Includes washer and detergent.
  • Commentary: A really quaint little town. The beach as you walk into the city is a beautiful place for a snack. There are a few cafes along the beach.
  • Food: Had a nice sandwich at this highly recommended sandwich shop Cafe Bar Troula. A lot was also closed today because it was Sunday.
Leg: Arosa to Padron
  • Date: Monday, June 10, 2024
  • Transportation: Boat ride La Barca de Peregrino leaves at 7am. If today is a cold day, be sure to arrive early! All the seats inside were filled quickly. The good news is that although it was super cold that day and everyone wanted to start inside, people all started filing outside half way through. It is a beautiful boat ride. Book this in advance. It does sell out and my friend took a smaller speedboat (which does have better boat times)
  • Accommodation: 1 bedroom on Booking.com Vivienda de Uso Turístico MARINA LUXURY
  • Commentary: Someone suggested staying another night at the monastery outside Padron. My friend stayed and she loved the communal meal and tour of the grounds, but she said she didn't get a good nights sleep as it was cold and noisy that evening. I decided not to stay the extra night. Some people decided to walk halfway between Padron and Santiago. There is not much to do in Padron except the churches so I would agree. Explore the small town of Padron and then start walking to Santiago to break up your last leg. Also a lot of restaurants closed today.
  • Food: It was closed on Monday, but I ate breakfast here on Tuesday morning, Dulcinea Reposteria. Delicious (although service is slow if it is busy)
Leg: Padron to Santiago
  • Date: Tuesday, June 11, 2024
  • Transportation: Walk of about ~6 hours, a few ascents and descents
  • Accommodation: Pensión A Casa do Peregrino on Booking.com, I ended up getting a cute place facing the street with a small balcony. This really made the place worthwhile even though it was a bit on the expensive side. The double paned windows made it relatively quiet at night. The room is updated and modern, but there is no lobby (ice cream shop) and you have to check in by 9pm.
  • Commentary: Be sure to get your Compostela before the office closes at 7pm. I arrived in Santiago at 6:15pm and when we went to the office at 6:45pm, there was only a 5 minute wait. They will ask you to register beforehand to get a QR code or you can register at the computers when you arrive, but probably easier to do on your phone at the website here: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/sigle-register/. Go upstairs to take advantage of the the support services. I was very grateful to Sister Alicia from the Sisters Faithful Companions of Jesus. She was lovely, welcoming, and so supportive. Camino Reflection for English Speakers is everyday Monday - Saturday at 3pm (1st floor, Room 6). Daily English Mass is held at the Pilgrims Office Chapel everyday (except Wednesday) at 10:30am. Pilgrim's mass is BUSY! Get there at least 45 minutes early to get a seat. People start lining up to get a seat.
  • Food: Abastos 2.0 was so delicious -- the best seafood I had in Spain. For a single person, they made a customized menu for 1 and it was about 50 euros. Totally worth it and highly recommended!!! Also highly recommend getting coffee and churros at Restaurant Dos Reis. There is an outdoor and indoor courtyard that are fabulous and relaxing.
Buen Camino!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very grateful for this forum and all the many posts and recommendations that helped me plan my camino step by step. I had a terrific Camino experience and wanted to share my itinerary for those who might find it helpful in the future. I walked this camino alone as a single female with financial flexibility.

• Transportation: Bolt taxi app to Porto Camphana, then train to Valenca do Minho (https://www.renfe.com/es/en)
  • Accommodation: Parador de Tui (Would probably choose to stay somewhere else, has pilgrim price which includes breakfast, but at around 150 Euros, I would stay somewhere cheaper)
  • Commentary: Took the train to Valenca from Porto and walked across the river to Tui - Realized I actually wanted to take the coastal route instead of the central route and took the bus from Tui to Vigo the next day. Be sure to check out the fort at Sunset - gorgeous views
  • Transportation: Bus from Tui to Vigo (about 45 minutes) - Remember there is a 1 hr time difference between Portugal and Spain. The timetable was wrong on Google maps and I showed up to the bus one hour too early.
  • Accommodation: Airbnb - great, would absolutely stay here again. Amazing location.
  • Commentary: Vigo is beautiful. I stayed here two nights as everyone suggested and would recommend doing that as well. Went to Cies island and booked a ticket the day of with Mar de Ons. I bought a ticket in person at their ticket office, Oficinas Comerciales Naviera Mar de Ons. Took the 3:30pm boat out and came back on the last boat. Highly recommend the Principe hike and spending some time on the beach. Took free walking tours booked on Guruwalk.
  • Transportation: First day of walking ~3 hours. Forgot to use Camino Ninja and accidentally used Google Maps, which had me walking through and along the highway for some parts. Whoops! It was super hot on this day in the afternoon so would probably recommend walking earlier if it's hot out. No shade.
  • Accommodation: Airbnb - great, would stay here again. No private bathroom and a bit of an uphill walk, but this is right on the camino.
  • Commentary: Used Top Santiago (highly recommend) for all of my baggage and they drop off your bag at Cafe Farola.
  • Food: Not much was open on Monday. Had grilled fish at Villa Bella (this was pretty good, the pasta was a huge portion and not as tasty). Do recommend getting breakfast at Cafe Farola (the egg pancake was delicious)
  • Transportation: ~ 6 hours of walking. Hard-ish day. There were stands along the way, selling camino souvenirs, water, snacks, and smoothies (towards the end of the day)
  • Accommodation: Nikkis Loft on Booking.com, Also a great place with washer and detergent, shampoo, conditioner. Would stay here again!
  • Commentary: Recommended to stay two nights and I agree. Loved exploring the city, churches, museums.
  • Accommodation: Casa Noelmar, great location, had some trouble with the washer. You need to click the basket closed. They need to give you the keys so you have to arrange a pre-planned time to coordinate key pickup. Extra bedroom so maybe pick up another pilgrim along the way? Felt a little big for what I needed and pricier than other places I stayed on the Camino (80 euros). Might find another single room accommodation if you can find one.
  • Commentary: Someone on this forum recommended stopping overnight in Combarro and I completely agree. Combarro to Armenteira is a 3 hour climb, mostly uphill. I wouldn't have wanted to do this climb after 3 hrs of walking already and Combarro is just SO quaint. Stay a night here if you have the time. You won't regret it.
  • Food: You must eat at Tintanegra. Omg, it was so good, I ate there for breakfast the next day.
  • Transportation: ~ 3 hours of walking. Totally uphill, pretty remote. This was the only day I got a little scared walking by myself. There was a guy who drove quickly up the hill and then 10 minutes later, came back down, blasting metal music. It was just a little unsettling. Today was also a super hot day so it was a mistake to leave so late. There is some shade, but not much. If it is hot today, leave earlier (I leave at noon). If you can walk with someone or walk when more people are walking, I would recommend this.
  • Accommodation: Monastery of Armenteira, someone recommended staying here if you could. I totally agree. I stayed two nights (the minimum requested) and just loved it. Sister Paula and the other sisters are so wonderful. If you are willing to stay the requested two night minimum, email Sister Paula at hospederia@monasteriodearmenteira.es as soon as possible with your dates. I was able to stay here because I emailed in advance, abiding by the requested minimum stay. Walk ups are nearly impossible for this place because they are highly utilized as a retreat center.
  • Commentary: There is a nice cafe outside of the Monastery of Armenteira, and I would recommend it. Great place to refuel, Bar O Comercio (nice coffee, bar snacks, fresh OJ)
  • Transportation: Long walk today ~6 hours. It is the MOST BEAUTIFUL DAY of my entire camino. WOW. The route of stone and water is breathtaking. Take your time and enjoy it!
  • Accommodation: On Airbnb, but cheaper on Booking.com. Right across from the boat that takes you inland to Padron. Greets you as you walk across the bridge into town. Views are incredible from this place. Includes an extra room, pickup another pilgrim to share the room! Includes washer and detergent.
  • Commentary: A really quaint little town. The beach as you walk into the city is a beautiful place for a snack. There are a few cafes along the beach.
  • Food: Had a nice sandwich at this highly recommended sandwich shop Cafe Bar Troula. A lot was also closed today because it was Sunday.
  • Transportation: Boat ride La Barca de Peregrino leaves at 7am. If today is a cold day, be sure to arrive early! All the seats inside were filled quickly. The good news is that although it was super cold that day and everyone wanted to start inside, people all started filing outside half way through. It is a beautiful boat ride. Book this in advance. It does sell out and my friend took a smaller speedboat (which does have better boat times)
  • Accommodation: 1 bedroom on Booking.com Vivienda de Uso Turístico MARINA LUXURY
  • Commentary: Someone suggested staying another night at the monastery outside Padron. My friend stayed and she loved the communal meal and tour of the grounds, but she said she didn't get a good nights sleep as it was cold and noisy that evening. I decided not to stay the extra night. Some people decided to walk halfway between Padron and Santiago. There is not much to do in Padron except the churches so I would agree. Explore the small town of Padron and then start walking to Santiago to break up your last leg. Also a lot of restaurants closed today.
  • Food: It was closed on Monday, but I ate breakfast here on Tuesday morning, Dulcinea Reposteria. Delicious (although service is slow if it is busy)
  • Accommodation: Pensión A Casa do Peregrino on Booking.com, I ended up getting a cute place facing the street with a small balcony. This really made the place worthwhile even though it was a bit on the expensive side. The double paned windows made it relatively quiet at night. The room is updated and modern, but there is no lobby (ice cream shop) and you have to check in by 9pm.
  • Commentary: Be sure to get your Compostela before the office closes at 7pm. I arrived in Santiago at 6:15pm and when we went to the office at 6:45pm, there was only a 5 minute wait. They will ask you to register beforehand to get a QR code or you can register at the computers when you arrive, but probably easier to do on your phone at the website here: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/sigle-register/. Go upstairs to take advantage of the the support services. I was very grateful to Sister Alicia from the Sisters Faithful Companions of Jesus. She was lovely, welcoming, and so supportive. Camino Reflection for English Speakers is everyday Monday - Saturday at 3pm (1st floor, Room 6). Daily English Mass is held at the Pilgrims Office Chapel everyday (except Wednesday) at 10:30am. Pilgrim's mass is BUSY! Get there at least 45 minutes early to get a seat. People start lining up to get a seat.
  • Food: Abastos 2.0 was so delicious -- the best seafood I had in Spain. For a single person, they made a customized menu for 1 and it was about 50 euros. Totally worth it and highly recommended!!! Also highly recommend getting coffee and churros at Restaurant Dos Reis. There is an outdoor and indoor courtyard that are fabulous and relaxing.
Buen Camino!!!
Thank you for taking the time to provide such good and usual feedback. Chuck

What a wonderful, detailed trip report. I have always wanted to walk the Variante Espiritual and you have provided me with the information and extra motivation to do so. Thank you very much, Olive

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What a wonderful, detailed trip report. I have always wanted to walk the Variante Espiritual and you have provided me with the information and extra motivation to do so. Thank you very much, Olive
I am so happy to hear this! The route of stone and water was such a highlight, as was my time at the Armenteira monastery. You can attend all the services with the nuns (they meet and pray / sing around 5 times a day). Spiritual and peaceful. I would highly recommend the spiritual variant for those who want extra time along the sea and near water. 💕😊

Buen Camino!!!
Thank you so much for this information! I am walking the CP in September and this information is a God Send!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back