• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Puffy or Down Jacket

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It depends on what other layers you take. Many people do like to include a lightweight puffy jacket that can be combined with a rain/wind shell or other layers, or worn on a cool evening, or even worn inside a light weight sleeping bag if needed. (I would not recommend any jacket with built in layers of insulation. They aren't as versatile as the separate thinner layers.)

I will be starting my camino Frances near September 1st. Will i need to bring an insulated light puffy coat?
For September and the first half of October, I think youā€™ll just be carrying around your puffy coat most of the time. Iā€™d suggest planning a kit based upon layering. My preference is a long sleeved under layer, a light jacket (waterproof), and a vest. That way, I can wear some combination of clothes to fit the weather. The last time I was on the CF in October, shorts and T-shirts were my typical walking outfit. Iā€™m thinking that an insulated puffy coat will be much more than youā€™ll need. Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will be starting my camino Frances near September 1st. Will i need to bring an insulated light puffy coat?
Iā€™m a layering advocate. Earlier this year i wore a base layer (long or short sleeve), a light fleece pullover, a heavier zip up fleece jacket and used my rain jacket for wind/rain protection . Over 47 days I wore all or combinations of those everyday. As it, or I warned up, layers started coming off. I liked the fleece because even on cool days it allowed enough air in to moderate my body heat without having to take it off. The lighter pullover is in almost all of my pics, glad I added it at the last moment. If weight is a concern, my pack was about 15lbs. Good luck.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
These comments are really helpful. I would rather be a bit on the warm side than the cold. I am still collecting everything for the kit. I think it will be included. It's very light weight.
I took my puffer vest (End of May/early June) with me and it was sufficient. I also have SmartWool layer and wool buff. It was enough for me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I started early September (and the lead up days in Paris and SJPdP were really hot so only at the last moment did I include a short sleeve merino T-shirt, which I then wore every morning on the camino till it warmed up during the day).
I took the merino T-shirt, long sleeve nylon sun shirt, a heavy weight fleece (maybe 300 weight) and a poncho. Plus a sun hat and a beanie of course.
As the walk progressed and it got colder, I bought a soft-shell jacket in either Burgos or Leon.
I feel the cold and this was enough for me.

These comments are really helpful. I would rather be a bit on the warm side than the cold. I am still collecting everything for the kit. I think it will be included. It's very light weight.
Long sleeve nylon shirt, light weight merino sweater, 100 wt polar plus fleece, and frogtogs have been my basic layering combination for decades; good down to freezing temperatures. We have done our long hikes during the shoulder seasons. Iā€™d op for a down vest, if I anticipated lots of sedentary time in cold temps.

I can't say for September but I walked last year May- June and again this year May-June. I bought a puffy jacket last year for my first camino Frances but decided not to take it. I did not need it. On the few days it was chilly. I just used layers. A long sleeve merino wool shirt over a short sleeve merino wool shirt and my rain jacket kept my perfectly warm on the chilly days. I now have a brand new puffy jacket that I have never used.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I always pack my down jacket, it is light and compressible.

I have completed the CF twice, May 2024 and September 2022 and I always used it at least one or two days (I ride a bike, so the Camino takes about a week).

Since I pack only a liner and not a sleeping bag, I had to sleep with my jacket on once a few weeks ago in a municipal albergue. Much better than the blankets around! ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims and travellers... It'll be awhile before my next carry on backpack adventure, but here goes anyhow. I do like my icebreaker gear, but the finer 100% merino tees are not the...
Hi fellow travelers, just day dreaming of future caminos and trips to Europe. Any one have good recommendations for dresses? Ideally knee length (maybe longer), with sleeves. It'll be cool if it...
I might just set up a Pilgrim rental program in St Jean Pied de Port, with the drop-off location being at Roncesvalles. Story: HERE
I love my hiking shoes.. but they are not water proof. I would love to hear some opinions on what to do if it rains. I will be doing the CF in september. Im trying to pack as light as possible.
I'm walking a 30-day pilgrimage in Quebec entirely on roads/bikepaths. Which shoes do you recommend?

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.