• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

PSA: Please pay attention to your online safety as well!

Guneyd

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June-July 2024
Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right place to post this, and I apologize if this topic has already been addressed. However, I’ve become increasingly concerned about the safety of some members on this forum.

Many of you belong to older generations and might not be as familiar with online privacy and security as younger people who tend to use platforms like Instagram or TikTok. I’ve noticed that a lot of personal details are being shared here on a public forum, which can put you at risk of scammers and other malicious actors.

Specifically, I’ve seen members posting under their real names and sharing sensitive information, such as the names of their children, where they live, and details about their past or current jobs. Please be aware that this forum is accessible to anyone, not just registered members, meaning all of this information is visible to the public. This can be a gold mine for scammers who use social engineering techniques to trick people into revealing even more information or into making decisions they wouldn’t normally make.

For those unfamiliar, social engineering refers to manipulative techniques used by scammers to gain access to personal information or to deceive people into compromising their security. You can read more about it here: Social Engineering - Wikipedia.

To help protect yourselves, I recommend reviewing what you post and consider using a nickname or pseudonym instead of your real name. Be cautious about sharing specific personal details, especially information that could be used to answer security questions or that might be exploited by scammers.

Stay safe, and thank you for reading!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Everything people put on the World Wide Web is accessible for abuse and fraud.
For sure being careful with personal information is unfortunately not an idle advice.

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right place to post this, and I apologize if this topic has already been addressed. However, I’ve become increasingly concerned about the safety of some members on this forum.

Many of you belong to older generations and might not be as familiar with online privacy and security as younger people who tend to use platforms like Instagram or TikTok. I’ve noticed that a lot of personal details are being shared here on a public forum, which can put you at risk of scammers and other malicious actors.

Specifically, I’ve seen members posting under their real names and sharing sensitive information, such as the names of their children, where they live, and details about their past or current jobs. Please be aware that this forum is accessible to anyone, not just registered members, meaning all of this information is visible to the public. This can be a gold mine for scammers who use social engineering techniques to trick people into revealing even more information or into making decisions they wouldn’t normally make.

For those unfamiliar, social engineering refers to manipulative techniques used by scammers to gain access to personal information or to deceive people into compromising their security. You can read more about it here: Social Engineering - Wikipedia.

To help protect yourselves, I recommend reviewing what you post and consider using a nickname or pseudonym instead of your real name. Be cautious about sharing specific personal details, especially information that could be used to answer security questions or that might be exploited by scammers.

Stay safe, and thank you for reading!
You’re absolutely right.
I have noticed anyone can access and read this forum and it’s indeed concerning to see people shring the days they are going to walk, if they are alone or not…
Well, I would avoid that in every possible way, here or in any other social media.
Stay safe everyone.
Never post dates, places you are today and going tomorrow… etc…

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, is there a New Zealand camino sub forum here or on another online platform? Thanks Bernie
Is it possible to contact a contributor by email or whats app (or by mobile as we both live in Australia). I am planning another Camino in 2026 and am interested in the Torres and would like to...
Earlier this morning I clicked on the link in the now closed thread "Improve the pilgrim experience." I went straght through to the survey form, and to my horror found that my personal gmail...
Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to post this, and I apologize if this topic has already been addressed. However, I’ve become increasingly concerned about the safety of some members on...
I have forgotten how to find my past pics on forum any help?
This is a technical question. What are the steps to select and follow a contributor in this forum? Thanks.

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back