Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preparing my camino del norte

Belluc01

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugais
Hi that will be my 3 camino
I would like to get some information about doing the camino del norte from early April to end the end of may 2025 My goal is to walk 800km our more during that period
I am 66 years old and fit i know that the norte route is more challenging
What type of temperature can i expect durant that period rain doesn’t bother me
But i will like to avoid cold weather
What equipment do you recommend for that aventure during this period and are all the albergue open
I would like to walk on average 20-25 km
Per day
Thank you all for your feedback
Bon camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This year I walked the end of April to 25th may . Temperature was between 15 to 24 degrees. Not much rain except last 5 days in Galicia . Most days were really pleasant to walk not too cold not too hot with some drizzling. Some mornings were cold and windy so I wore my puffy jacket but in an hour or two I dropped it off.

I walked mid May-late Jun, but I’ll give you thoughts on equipment etc. Take poles, even if you don’t usually walk with them. Pais Vasco in particular is full of steep climbs up and down rocky, wooded terrain than can be pretty muddy.

Re albergues, there are some here and there that may not open till Jun, but you shouldn’t have too much of a problem finding accommodation, although places like Gernika have lost their municipal albergue. Be prepared to spend more on private albergues as well as other types of private accommodation, in some places. Allow leeway in your budget for this Camino. Some pilgrims I met who were on a very tight budget, did find it challenging till Galicia.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked from Bilbao to Santiago in May 2024. Had rain for about 3/4 of the route, sometimes torrential and a few times very cold. I seldom use poles, but found them extremely helpful when the paths were wet and muddy. Some Albergue’s do not open until June 1, but I walked 20 days without a reservation and found options in every town. You will be hitting Semana Santa, but that will not be a problem unless you are in a heavily touristed area.

I would like to get some information about doing the camino del norte from early April to end the end of may 2025 My goal is to walk 800km our more during that period
What equipment do you recommend for that aventure during this period and are all the albergue open
Per day
Bon camino
I walked the CdN in June 2022, had my 70th birthday in San Sebastián. Lucky with the weather only one day of rain. I understand the temps are more stable than most Camino’s because it’s close to the ocean which doesn’t change much. Mine ranged from about 15 to 33. This was when the Frances was up over 40 some days. I don’t use poles, never needed them. It is quite hilly so important to find your sustainable rhythm/speed. I did use a variety of accom, always reserved a day or 2 ahead. Averaged about 28 kms daily. Best walk ever. You’ll love it.
Buen Camino!

Per day
Bon camino
I will be following your preparations with interest as I will be attempting my second Camino next August.
Go well!😎🇳🇿

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Personally found the first week of the Norte noticeably tougher in 2018 than the Primitivo last year. Am a few years younger than you. Irun to San Sebastien was a brutal 1st day. If I did it again I’d break up that stage into two and stay at albergue in Pasajes de San Juan. Never have had knee issues but up/down had mine grinding -- only time out of five caminos had to take public transport. Albergues harder to find so agree with above on advance planning/budgeting more. Daytime temps average in 60's but can be gorgeous sun or cold and blustery along coast. You might get better but I'd plan for low 50's + cold wind/rain and bring knit hat/thin gloves for earlier part. The most beautiful route I've done. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, nice to meet you all. I will be doing my first Camino in a few weeks, on the Camino Del Norte. I only have 10 days and plan to experience a bit of the coast line, reach an intermediate...
Hola, I'm in the early stages of planning my first Camino next April-May. Due to health issues, I cannot carry a heavy pack like I used to, so it's either use a luggage transfer service or not...
I am wondering if the Camino del Norte is the next one for me. I have walked the Portugues (more than once) and loved it. I am tempted to go back and walk it again. I have walked the Frances but...
Hello! I am planning my fist (half) Camino and will land to Santander October 9. I was leaning towards the Camino del Norte for the scenery but it seems from other posts that in October most...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.