• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post Camiño excursion?

angmsmith

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024
If all goes according to plan, I finish on Wednesday this coming week. I have a day trip planned to go to Fisterre on Thursday. But after that, I have a few days to kill before I have to be back in Lisbon Saturday night.

What would you do with that time? Where should I go?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Porto is a great choice, but if you’re already familiar with it, head to A Coruna. Lovely small town, on the coast, just a short train trip from Santiago.
Was going to say Coruna. I finish on 28 Aug and going to be spending 3 weeks in Coruna albeit with plenty of day trips. So will be watching this thread!

If all goes according to plan, I finish on Wednesday this coming week. I have a day trip planned to go to Fisterre on Thursday. But after that, I have a few days to kill before I have to be back in Lisbon Saturday night.

Since you are already headed towards Lisbon, assuming you did not start in or pass through it already, maybe tour Porto?
Yea, should have mentioned that. I started in Porto, and was there for ~3 days before starting.

Well then, I second A Coruna! Although it looks like there are some showers in the forecast, there are some wonderful beaches in the area. The Orzan and Riazor (site of the August music festival) beaches are most popular, but you can find a few others where you won't see much in the way of crowds and that have better views (in my opinion). There are a number of museums that, honestly, I have yet to visit (but the archaeology museum is at the top of my list!). Consider catching a soccer game at the stadium, even if you don't understand the game.

The Tower of Hercules is worth a visit -- oldest existing Roman lighthouse. A Coruna gets it's name from the crown of Geryon, who Hercules slew and then buried his head and crown. The myth goes on to say that he built the lighthouse over the burial to commemorate his 3-day battle with Geryon. The coat of arms for the town has an image of the lighthouse atop a skull and bones to represent this myth.

Maria Pita is local heroine who defended against the English Armada. Her story is worth looking up, although her string of husbands had a habit of prematurely, um, dying. Check out her statue in the city plaza. A festival named for Maria Pita goes all through August, so you might be able to catch some local festivities. Walk the promenade if you need some (more) exercise. It's a bit over 5 miles long and you'll pass the aquarium and some other cool attractions.

You may want to hop over to nearby Ferrol to check out the castle of San Felipe, some of the historic churches, and attractions related to Ferrol's nautical history, such as the Exponav museum (has a much longer official name). There are a few festivals and sporting events (surfing and equestrian) that happen in August in Ferrol.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are ok with going back to a city, Lisbon or Porto would be my choices. If you have been to Lisbon than pick Porto. If you haven't been to either city go to Lisbon so you do not have to do a second day of travel and packing and finding hotels. It takes up precious time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you like smaller places, Tomar in Portugal (on the way toward Lisbon) is a great place to visit. Fantastic Templar castle, oldest synagogue in Portugal, fun park area along the river through town. A bit of a walk west of the castle takes you to breathtaking 16th (?) century aquaducts that are 30 meters tall. We thought the food was great, and it just has a nice vibe.

First, head back to Porto, then public transport first to Coimbra, a fabulous student city., if you are lucky you may see a street performance.
Then off to Tomar, for the reasons mentioned above. I particularly enjoyed the convento Cristo.
Then its just an easy train to Lisbon.
Once in Lisbon, have a wander around the Alfama district and check out the view from one of the Miladouras.

There's so much more to discover in Portugal

EDIT Oops didn't read your question properly. Nor enough time. Perhaps next camino enjoy walking south of Porto.

There's plenty to see and do in Lisbon, maybe include an outing to Belem and visit the monastery.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Well then, I second A Coruna! Although it looks like there are some showers in the forecast, there are some wonderful beaches in the area. The Orzan and Riazor (site of the August music festival) beaches are most popular, but you can find a few others where you won't see much in the way of crowds and that have better views (in my opinion). There are a number of museums that, honestly, I have yet to visit (but the archaeology museum is at the top of my list!). Consider catching a soccer game at the stadium, even if you don't understand the game.

The Tower of Hercules is worth a visit -- oldest existing Roman lighthouse. A Coruna gets it's name from the crown of Geryon, who Hercules slew and then buried his head and crown. The myth goes on to say that he built the lighthouse over the burial to commemorate his 3-day battle with Geryon. The coat of arms for the town has an image of the lighthouse atop a skull and bones to represent this myth.

Maria Pita is local heroine who defended against the English Armada. Her story is worth looking up, although her string of husbands had a habit of prematurely, um, dying. Check out her statue in the city plaza. A festival named for Maria Pita goes all through August, so you might be able to catch some local festivities. Walk the promenade if you need some (more) exercise. It's a bit over 5 miles long and you'll pass the aquarium and some other cool attractions.

You may want to hop over to nearby Ferrol to check out the castle of San Felipe, some of the historic churches, and attractions related to Ferrol's nautical history, such as the Exponav museum (has a much longer official name). There are a few festivals and sporting events (surfing and equestrian) that happen in August in Ferrol.
Thank you for all the great suggestions!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Thank you for all the great suggestions!
And just to throw things w a wrench in things, I actually would say that A Coruña was not that interesting. I spent a few days there because I had a flight to catch, and while it’s pleasant enough, I wouldn’t choose it as a special destination.

And just to throw things w a wrench in things, I actually would say that A Coruña was not that interesting. I spent a few days there because I had a flight to catch, and while it’s pleasant enough, I wouldn’t choose it as a special destination.
That's fair, not everybody's taste is the same. Where would you suggest?

That's fair, not everybody's taste is the same. Where would you suggest?
I’m not sure I have good suggestion because I don’t have enough information. If @angmsmith hasn’t spent time in Lisbon or doesn’t have that scheduled in already, I would suggest just more time in Lisbon. Although it’s probably hard to get reasonable accommodation in Lisbon on short notice.
Nothing wrong with A Coruna. A pleasant place, just didn’t excite me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Sounds like a "more Spain or more Portugal?" question, then it breaks down further from there.

Camino-wise, you will likely not be back to Portugal before you go back to Spain, so I'd say spend more time in Portugal while you are there.

Traveling takes so much of your day, so you won't have as much to spend as you might want.

A lot depends on how you plan on getting back to Lisbon. Most people take the bus down to Porto then train to Lisbon.

If so, you could use the train to make stops at some places as you go south. Or you could go straight to Lisbon and spend more time there or explore south of Lisbon while still being able to get back easily via train.

Personally, I would rent a car in Porto with a dropoff in Lisbon and do Coimbra, Tomar and Fatima.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.