• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ponferrada worth 36hrs pre-Camino?

Scudder

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept '24
I'll be starting my first, short Camino in Ponferrada on a Monday, and have some flexibility prior to that. I'll have spent a few days in Madrid upon arrival in Spain—I'm there often and know the city well but I'm always happy to spend an extra day with my friends there. But don't *need* to add time there. I'd appreciate some input on the following options:

-Trains to Ponferrada on Saturday afternoon and explore/relax there for 36+hrs.
-Train to Leon Saturday, 24 hours there before going to Ponferrada for a shorter overnight.
-Skip them both—train directly to Ponferrada on Sunday for the Monday start.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hmm, Ponferrada: small Spanish provincial city with a disnified castle with some notional links to the Templars and with a couple of good wine bars and one exceptional restaurant.
Leon: large Spanish provincial city with a stunning cathedral, several good bars and two or three exceptional restaurants.
Madrid: is Madrid but I gather you’re already aware of that 😉

My advice would be to spend as little time as is absolutely necessary in Madrid. Train to Leon and walk from there. Much more fun and a longer Camino. Nearly long enough to discover the perfect joy of: “Walk; Eat; Sleep; Repeat”.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll be starting my first, short Camino in Ponferrada on a Monday, and have some flexibility prior to that. I'll have spent a few days in Madrid upon arrival in Spain—I'm there often and know the city well but I'm always happy to spend an extra day with my friends there. But don't *need* to add time there. I'd appreciate some input on the following options:

-Trains to Ponferrada on Saturday afternoon and explore/relax there for 36+hrs.
-Train to Leon Saturday, 24 hours there before going to Ponferrada for a shorter overnight.
-Skip them both—train directly to Ponferrada on Sunday for the Monday start.
Ponferrada is the only city I didn't like along the Camino Frances. Most of it is a bit rundown. IMO.
Leon is much nicer.

My husband attended a hospitalero singing workshop there. The castle is nice if you have not been to a castle. The basilica is nice. He had the "pig ears" tapas with his friends (chewy and kind of in a tomato sauce). Maybe a half day?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hmm, Ponferrada: small Spanish provincial city with a disnified castle with some notional links to the Templars and with a couple of good wine bars and one exceptional restaurant.
What is the "one exceptional restaurant" in Ponferrada? I'm wondering if it is someplace I tried, probably not, given my budget, but I'm curious.
I just spent 2 weeks there as hospitalero at San Nicolas.

Leon: large Spanish provincial city with a stunning cathedral, several good bars and two or three exceptional restaurants.
Madrid: is Madrid but I gather you’re already aware of that 😉

My advice would be to spend as little time as is absolutely necessary in Madrid. Train to Leon and walk from there. Much more fun and a longer Camino. Nearly long enough to discover the perfect joy of: “Walk; Eat; Sleep; Repeat”.
I’ve been reading the comments and see the variety of opinions. I’ll add that I really like Ponferrada. While at San Nicolas as a hospitalero I was lucky enough to meet up with a running group there and over the course of 15 days got to run with them 3 times and go out for tapas and beers afterward. Through the group I met a few people which led to a couple of lunches with locals on my days off. Consequently I got to know the town and some of the trails around town. So I would say that there are a lot of fun and interesting things to do there that would easily fill 36 hours

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What is the "one exceptional restaurant" in Ponferrada? I'm wondering if it is someplace I tried, probably not, given my budget, but I'm curious.
https://restaurantemuna.com/ is truly exceptional but probably only within a pilgrim budget if someone else is picking up the tab. I'm a Tinker, I get lucky ;)

Out of my own pocket I'd pay for the "Menu Especial" at https://www.lacasadelbotillo.com/ without a hint of a flinch ;)

Edit: bugger! I've just done what I try so hard not to do which is to make it even harder to get a table at a favourite restaurant.

For those considering following my recommendation I should advise that the waiters are really surly; the chairs are uncomfortable; it's an ever such a long walk from the Albergue; the wall-paper is terrible and they only stock 12 varieties of Orujo. Not really worth the effort if I'm honest.... Nah; just hit the nearest supermarket and get a microwaveable paella and a carton of red. You'll be fine

Last edited:
Oh I did the last 2 weeks of April as hospitalera there too. I was very tempted by the Invierno but I think it is rather lonely for me. Must try to persuade my daughter to come with me. I liked San Nicolas albergue. Had never heard of him and once I learned his story, I wondered why his wife wasn’t canonized too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks, everyone. I think I'll stick with the original plan, going to Ponferrada on the last train Saturday and spending Sunday there before starting my Camino on Monday.

Of course starting from father out for a longer Camino would be very nice. I'm deeply fortunate to have the time and flexibility to travel as much as I do, but making this trip longer isn't an option.

I really enjoyed Ponferrada.
The Castle was open and we spent a good time seeing all of it, including the walled tunnel down to the river and the library with old books. (But I love castles and books)

Attachments

• IMG_7458.jpeg
    IMG_7458.jpeg
    961.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7369.jpeg
    IMG_7369.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I'm a type of a person that almost always can find "something to do" practically anywhere.
A per-Camino full day in Ponferrada? Heck YEah!
I cannot argue that Leon is "better" - definitely much more to see and\or do but I would not fully 'dismiss' Ponferrada off hand.

Most read last week in this forum

I'll be starting my first, short Camino in Ponferrada on a Monday, and have some flexibility prior to that. I'll have spent a few days in Madrid upon arrival in Spain—I'm there often and know the...
Hi, has anyone here stayed at Hostelfly? It looks walkable from T2. Or is it very busy roads with no sidewalks? My flight arrives late afternoon, then thinking of getting the Alsa bus next...
Hi, I am flying into Bilbao end of July. Have 2 nights booked, but have not decided among my Camino Route options. Wondering how easy it will be to get a bus to Irûn or perhaps a bus to Oviedo or...
I was walking from Porto in May with a backpack, not planning to use a backpack service. On day 3 I injured my knee when I pulled some ligaments plowing through a heavy section of sand when the...
Hey everyone, setting out on the camino and was hoping to get some insight on best and/or cheapest way to get from biarritz to SJPP. I know you can take a taxi there but unsure how much that would...
Searching for someone to share a taxi with from Santiago de Compostela to Sarria JULY 1ST starting 16h30. Anyone ?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back