• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plantar Fasciitis

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo Sept 2022, Full Portuguese Sept 2024
Hello, I would love some counsel from anyone regarding some really bad plantar fasciitis that I’ve been starting to experience during training in my right foot. I’m planning to do the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago this September 2024. Full disclosure, I’ve put on some weight since my friend died so I think that has something to do with it. I’m trying to drop a little bit before September. I go to the osteo weekly and he does some deep tissue massage and I’m doing all the stretches. I can find on YouTube. I’ve tried 1 million different pairs of shoes and I think the ones that are arriving this week from a company called fltflops (https://www.fitflop.com) may be with the winners. And surprisingly, the Crocs seem to help, but the pain is still there. I would love a cortisone shot, but they’re not big fans of it here in France as they are in the U.S. I will take any advice that anyone can offer. Thank you so much!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello fellow peregrina,

please do yourself a favour and see a physician!
There can be so many roots to the mentioned pain, that is best to ask a professional!

Hope all will be well for you.
Thank you! Definitely seeing and working with a physician, they are suggesting all the usual things, which I’m doing. I was just hoping there might be some additional stretches that I wasn’t aware of, or maybe a certain sock or shoe that worked well for someone. But thank you! I’m definitely working on it with a professional. Fingers crossed that it improves! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My plantar fasciitis went away when I started wearing Birkenstock sandals in the house as my slippers. I still wear them years later and the issue never returned.
That's interesting how everyone is different. Birkenstocks have a definite stiff shape underfoot. I can not wear them at all as I have quite flat feet and their arch hurts me.
OTOH, I have two sister-in-law's and a daughter-in-law who all have occasional plantar fasciitis and they love Oofa's, which are very soft and cushiony; the total opposite of Birkenstocks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I got plantar fasciitis last year on the Camino. Ended up in physical therapy for a couple months, and it's still not fully gone, although it's much better now. Do all the stretching they give you. I also found downward dog (yoga pose) to help, even more than the stretches that involved flexing your foot on a step, etc. That would make sense, since you're stretching the whole posterior chain of tissues. I bought Hokas to wear to work and "out" during the day, and I wear Oofos at home. I used to just walk around with only socks on.

Hi Wendy, another Wendy here with plantar fasciitis! I've had it ever since day one of my first camino back in 2017. It's never completely gone away, but I've been able to manage it, thanks largely to exercises I learned in an online course I took on plantar fasciitis.

That course is no longer offered, but the instructor has many free videos on YouTube demonstrating different exercises. I will link two here that are similar to what I do. One is for your hamstrings, and the other is for your calves. The overarching concept is to release the fascia (bands of connective tissue that run throughout your body). Even though the pain is in your feet, it's likely originating in the fascia further up your leg, as the fascia throughout the whole body are all connected.

This one for hamstrings I do with a lacrosse ball, which was what the instructor recommended in the course, though I see that in this video she recommends a tennis ball. I also use a heavy Dutch oven (when at home) or my backpack (when on Camino) to add extra weight on the upper side of my thigh, directly above the ball. I do this in about six different places on each leg. You will need a hard-seated chair or bench for this one:

Hamstring exercise

For the second exercise, which is for your calves, you will need a softer chair, or just cover a hard chair with a pillow or towel. For this one I use a rolling pin at home and a hiking pole when on Camino.

Calf exercise

Do these once a day, and after a few weeks you should feel a big difference. I certainly do, as long as I do the exercises consistently. You might also try some of the other exercises on the same channel. FWIW, the instructor said in the course that anyone can get rid of plantar fasciitis pain by following her programme, UNLESS they have had cortisone shots, in which case the exercises might not help. For that reason, I've never considered taking the shots.

I hope this works for you!

I got plantar fasciitis last year on the Camino. Ended up in physical therapy for a couple months, and it's still not fully gone, although it's much better now. Do all the stretching they give you. I also found downward dog (yoga pose) to help, even more than the stretches that involved flexing your foot on a step, etc. That would make sense, since you're stretching the whole posterior chain of tissues. I bought Hokas to wear to work and "out" during the day, and I wear Oofos at home. I used to just walk around with only socks on.
That’s great advice about the downward dog, I hadn’t thought of that but I’ll try that in the morning. I’m not a real yoga person so I didn’t think of it. And I’m just like you, I used to walk around with only socks on. Now I wear my crocs everywhere inside and they’re comfortable for me. Thank you so much!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Wendy, another Wendy here with plantar fasciitis! I've had it ever since day one of my first camino back in 2017. It's never completely gone away, but I've been able to manage it, thanks largely to exercises I learned in an online course I took on plantar fasciitis.

That course is no longer offered, but the instructor has many free videos on YouTube demonstrating different exercises. I will link two here that are similar to what I do. One is for your hamstrings, and the other is for your calves. The overarching concept is to release the fascia (bands of connective tissue that run throughout your body). Even though the pain is in your feet, it's likely originating in the fascia further up your leg, as the fascia throughout the whole body are all connected.

This one for hamstrings I do with a lacrosse ball, which was what the instructor recommended in the course, though I see that in this video she recommends a tennis ball. I also use a heavy Dutch oven (when at home) or my backpack (when on Camino) to add extra weight on the upper side of my thigh, directly above the ball. I do this in about six different places on each leg. You will need a hard-seated chair or bench for this one:

Hamstring exercise

For the second exercise, which is for your calves, you will need a softer chair, or just cover a hard chair with a pillow or towel. For this one I use a rolling pin at home and a hiking pole when on Camino.

Calf exercise

Do these once a day, and after a few weeks you should feel a big difference. I certainly do, as long as I do the exercises consistently. You might also try some of the other exercises on the same channel. FWIW, the instructor said in the course that anyone can get rid of plantar fasciitis pain by following her programme, UNLESS they have had cortisone shots, in which case the exercises might not help. For that reason, I've never considered taking the shots.

I hope this works for you!
Hello Wendy, so great to meet a fellow Wendy and this advice is priceless! These are amazing videos and these additional exercises seem like they really may make a difference. I’m gonna do all of these and report back. I’m so grateful, thank you so much for taking the time to do all this for me. I have not had a cortisone shot so fingers crossed these exercises will help improve things! 🥰🙏🏻

That’s great advice about the downward dog, I hadn’t thought of that but I’ll try that in the morning. I’m not a real yoga person so I didn’t think of it. And I’m just like you, I used to walk around with only socks on. Now I wear my crocs everywhere inside and they’re comfortable for me. Thank you so much!
Good luck! Be sure to hold the downward dog for a while, and try to get your heels as close as possible to the ground.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One of the reasons this condition can be so challenging to heal is due to the chronic inflammation of the plantar fascia. Put a 500ml bottle of water in the freezer (empty a few ml first). Usually pain is worse in the mornings. Roll your foot up and down on the ice bottle directly (do this seated) to help decrease inflammation. Inflammation helps tissue heal but chronic inflammation can do the opposite.

I really want to thank everyone for the great advice. I especially want to thank @Wendy Werneth and @AnneMarie1 for those stretches because I swear, I’m already feeling better! Who knew those three stretches would be so key! Downwaed dog for as long as I can with heels firmly planted and the two chair stretches with the ball and rolling pin. Not comfortable for sure, but definitely effective! I recommend these three stretches to anyone suffering with this. So far, I really can see the results. Thank you again and I hope that I can continue to improve as I move towards the Portuguese Camino in September! 🥰💪🏻👍🏻🙏🏻

After years of plantar fasciitis and seeing podiatrists and getting deep massages etc, my family physician recommended I go to a sports doctor. He gave me specific exercises to strengthen targeted muscles in my feet and I went to a physical therapist to help keep me on track. It helped a lot!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello, I would love some counsel from anyone regarding some really bad plantar fasciitis that I’ve been starting to experience during training in my right foot. I’m planning to do the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago this September 2024. Full disclosure, I’ve put on some weight since my friend died so I think that has something to do with it. I’m trying to drop a little bit before September. I go to the osteo weekly and he does some deep tissue massage and I’m doing all the stretches. I can find on YouTube. I’ve tried 1 million different pairs of shoes and I think the ones that are arriving this week from a company called fltflops (https://www.fitflop.com) may be with the winners. And surprisingly, the Crocs seem to help, but the pain is still there. I would love a cortisone shot, but they’re not big fans of it here in France as they are in the U.S. I will take any advice that anyone can offer. Thank you so much!
I

I too had Plantar Fasciitis training for the Camino. Here's what I did: My doc prescribed a small dose of prednisone (steroid), AND I taped my foot with physic tape AND I shipped my large pack and only carried a day pack. I also had inserts that provided more support... and I brought two pairs so I could change half way, as they wear out after about 200 miles. if needed, you can get small doses of prednisone in farmacia's along the way. They are not recommended for long term use... but to reduce inflammation in advance and when needed along the way... I just used some to get over the pyrenees....The physio tape worked magic as well...

I have just finished the Portugese Central Camino from Lisbon to Santiago last Wednesday, there is a lot of road walking which will not help your situation.
I have walked nearly all the Caminos over the last 10 years. On my first Camino I suffered badly with Plantias Fasciitis.
I tried most of what is mentioned.
Rock Tape is what works for me, I have used it on both feet with success ever since. A strip underneath your foot and a strip around the arch of your foot.
Pictorial instructions come with the tape. I wouldn't be without rock tape, it has many uses, sports people use it.
Best wishes with your Camino in September, there are a couple of stages worth considering giving a miss to.

Thank you! Definitely seeing and working with a physician, they are suggesting all the usual things, which I’m doing. I was just hoping there might be some additional stretches that I wasn’t aware of, or maybe a certain sock or shoe that worked well for someone. But thank you! I’m definitely working on it with a professional. Fingers crossed that it improves! :)
I too have experienced the excruciating pain of plantar fasciitis, and find one exercise that really helps is standing on a stair on my forefeet, dropping the heel, then rising onto my "tippy toes". Take it fairly slowly and hold for a few seconds in both the down and up positions. Also, avoid flip flops or flat shoes (my podiatrist recommended at least a 1" heel) and try to never go barefoot if, like me, you have flat feet. Best wishes for happy feet!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
True healing is possible with stem cell treatment. It worked for me.
I had plantar facilities for 8 months. Then went to a stem cell clinic here in central Florida and got real results in 5 months.
I am at 95% total health in my foot now.
Try it, a bit pricey, not covered by health insurance , but worth it.

Wear nothing but plain Crocs inside and outside for as long as you can. I did it years ago for plantar fasciitis. It cured it and it’s never come back!

My wife suffered terribly from Planter Fasciitis after walking the Camino Inglés last year. She could hardly walk at all and was in constant pain as there was a small tear. She tried every method going, including most of the above to cure it over the following 6 months but nothing worked long term…

…. Until she heard about Platelet Rich Plasma injections: Platelet Rich Plasma Injections. She had 3 injections in her heel over several weeks and it made an immense difference to her recovery. Not generally available in the UK and many doctors don’t subscribe to it, but as a pretty desperate last resort by that time, it certainly worked for her. She also now wears Birkenstocks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I

I too had Plantar Fasciitis training for the Camino. Here's what I did: My doc prescribed a small dose of prednisone (steroid), AND I taped my foot with physic tape AND I shipped my large pack and only carried a day pack. I also had inserts that provided more support... and I brought two pairs so I could change half way, as they wear out after about 200 miles. if needed, you can get small doses of prednisone in farmacia's along the way. They are not recommended for long term use... but to reduce inflammation in advance and when needed along the way... I just used some to get over the pyrenees....The physio tape worked magic as well...
Peter, thank you! I’m going to see if my doctor in France will prescribe some prednisone. I’m also taping my foot and I have several pairs of what I believe or now effective sneakers/sandals with arch support that I can rotate. And I’m doing what you’re doing, I’m walking the Camino solo but I’m doing it through a company called Follow The Camino and they take my suitcase to each location daily so that I just have to walk with my day pack. I got a super deep stick Thai massage today that was excruciating when it was happening, but brought so much relief afterwards. My doctor recommended it and it was really something that I’ll probably return to an addition to all these other great suggestions that I’m incorporating. Thank you, and Buen Camino!

Maybe check with a podiatrist. I tried to self treat plantar fasciitis for a year. I went to a podiatrist that told me that the fat pad on my heel was gone. She prescribed Hokas. I walked the CF last fall with no pain.

Buen Camino

This has helped me well:
- Shockwave therapy (although the inflammation has to heal first)
- Insoles with soft padding under the heel,
- the aforementioned stretches plus rolling on a tennis ball and/or a small fascia roller.
I also shortened the stages of the next Camino and took a day off if I felt any signs of discomfort. That way I managed well.
Good luck

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
1. Tuli’s heel cups. These are my lifesaver. I carry them in my pack on all multi-day hikes ‘just in case’ I have a flare up. They reduce the pain more than anything else. With these, I know I could finish a multi-day walk with a heavy pack.

2. Altra Olympus trail runners - add arch support inner soles (unless you don’t do well with ‘zero drop soles).

3. Don’t walk on hard surfaces barefoot - and don’t wear any non-cushioned shoes or sandals.

4. Wear supportive shoes - not thongs or sandals without close-fitting straps - your foot has to work oddly to keep them on your foot.

5. Roll your arches over a frozen bottle of water a few times a day.

6. Be patient - it takes time.

7. And go to a sports podiatrist who has significant experience with the condition because they are specifically trained in feet (unlike random people who do massage).

You’ve gotten some great replies & advice, but I would add: be sure to bring KT tape with you on your walk, so you can tape for support, and I would lose as much weight as you possibly can before starting. Also, ask your doc about PRP (platelet-rich-plasma) as a treatment protocol in addition to shockwave therapy. I’m going to try some of those stretches the other Wendy offered! Buen Camino!

My experience with the dreaded PF was that I went and had one session with an Amatsu practitioner. It cleared it up completely as the problem apparently was arising not from my foot but my Psoas muscle. I’m aware Amatsu is not as widely available as I think it should. But it worked for me 100%.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My pain was relieved wearing Hoka recovery sandals around the house. Good luck!

I was recommended by my chiropractor to a podiatrist that sees many professional athletes in my area. Upon examining and then xraying both of my feet to make sure there was nothing else going on, this doc prescribed non steroidal anti-inflammatory called Meloxicam. Yes, I know every BODY is different and everyone reacts to medications differently, however, after 2 days into a one-tablet, 30-day course of this medication, I was able to walk/hike normally again. I'm 60, and I take zero medications so recommending a pill as a quick fix to anyone isn't my standard behavior. 4 months later with gradually heavier backpack and longer training mileage ahead of August Camino, I have had no recurrence. Perhaps worth researching and a mention to your MD/pharmacist. I'm also a huge Hoka fan and do yoga a couple times a week.

i never go barefoot on hard woods. i have mike sandals and other brands to support my feet. my podiatrist gave me a boot to use in evenings to stretch my foot. not to walk with. i did the camino with a tennis ball in my backpack and whenever i stopped i rolled it but lightly. no pressure. fill your water bottle with hot water. feels great after the long day to roll your foot on that as well. i did get the shot two weeks before i left and i think it really helped. gently massage your feet before you get out of bed. i took a month off of training before i went to the camino and it made a huge difference. no exercise at all. i got back at the end of may. i'm still on a high.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had it for a year. Rolling my foot on a firm rubber ball several times a day to massage really helped. I still do it. Specialist insoles for shoes also really help. Good luck.

Maybe check with a podiatrist. I tried to self treat plantar fasciitis for a year. I went to a podiatrist that told me that the fat pad on my heel was gone. She prescribed Hokas. I walked the CF last fall with no pain.

Buen Camino
Thank you, I’m definitely under doctor care at the moment! Buen Camino! So happy to hear your pain is gone!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
1. Tuli’s heel cups. These are my lifesaver. I carry them in my pack on all multi-day hikes ‘just in case’ I have a flare up. They reduce the pain more than anything else. With these, I know I could finish a multi-day walk with a heavy pack.

2. Altra Olympus trail runners - add arch support inner soles (unless you don’t do well with ‘zero drop soles).

3. Don’t walk on hard surfaces barefoot - and don’t wear any non-cushioned shoes or sandals.

4. Wear supportive shoes - not thongs or sandals without close-fitting straps - your foot has to work oddly to keep them on your foot.

5. Roll your arches over a frozen bottle of water a few times a day.

6. Be patient - it takes time.

7. And go to a sports podiatrist who has significant experience with the condition because they are specifically trained in feet (unlike random people who do massage).
Thank you, I have never heard of those heel cups, I will check them out!

I have just finished the Portugese Central Camino from Lisbon to Santiago last Wednesday, there is a lot of road walking which will not help your situation.
I have walked nearly all the Caminos over the last 10 years. On my first Camino I suffered badly with Plantias Fasciitis.
I tried most of what is mentioned.
Rock Tape is what works for me, I have used it on both feet with success ever since. A strip underneath your foot and a strip around the arch of your foot.
Pictorial instructions come with the tape. I wouldn't be without rock tape, it has many uses, sports people use it.
Best wishes with your Camino in September, there are a couple of stages worth considering giving a miss to.
Thank you so much. I always have rock tape with me and I use it, I just don’t feel the great relief that everyone seems to get from it. I’ve watched YouTube videos on how to put it on, maybe I’m stretching the tape too much or not enough. I guess I just have to keep at it.

I was recommended by my chiropractor to a podiatrist that sees many professional athletes in my area. Upon examining and then xraying both of my feet to make sure there was nothing else going on, this doc prescribed non steroidal anti-inflammatory called Meloxicam. Yes, I know every BODY is different and everyone reacts to medications differently, however, after 2 days into a one-tablet, 30-day course of this medication, I was able to walk/hike normally again. I'm 60, and I take zero medications so recommending a pill as a quick fix to anyone isn't my standard behavior. 4 months later with gradually heavier backpack and longer training mileage ahead of August Camino, I have had no recurrence. Perhaps worth researching and a mention to your MD/pharmacist. I'm also a huge Hoka fan and do yoga a couple times a week.
Thank you so much. Do you need a prescription for that? I can talk to my doctor about it later this week. I’ve never heard of it but it sounds like you got a lot of relief so it’s worth mentioning.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
i never go barefoot on hard woods. i have mike sandals and other brands to support my feet. my podiatrist gave me a boot to use in evenings to stretch my foot. not to walk with. i did the camino with a tennis ball in my backpack and whenever i stopped i rolled it but lightly. no pressure. fill your water bottle with hot water. feels great after the long day to roll your foot on that as well. i did get the shot two weeks before i left and i think it really helped. gently massage your feet before you get out of bed. i took a month off of training before i went to the camino and it made a huge difference. no exercise at all. i got back at the end of may. i'm still on a high.
Congratulations on your Camino! I know that high, I felt it for weeks after the Primitivo. I can’t wait to go back. :) And that’s a great suggestion about taking a month off before the Camino. I’ve been training consistently but I wonder if a pause like that might be good for me.

Thank you so much. Do you need a prescription for that? I can talk to my doctor about it later this week. I’ve never heard of it but it sounds like you got a lot of relief so it’s worth mentioning.
Yes, I needed a prescription in US for it. I hope it works for you as it did for me!

Yes my doctor recommended the crocs, I’m wearing them at the moment! Thank you! So glad you got relief!
Combination of crocs , hoka one one, Vicks vapor rub against pain at night and golden milk anti-inflammatory, helped plus reducing weight to lessen stress, put the feet up when not walking. Patience and the trust that if you are meant to walk the Camino in September this will happen.

Here is what helped me. 1) never go barefoot. Flip flops with arch support and bedroom slippers like Haflinger help with that. 2) KT tape. Look on you tube for how to tape for PF. 3) sleeping with your feet flexed. I stomach sleep so this was easy for me to hang my feet off the bed, if you back sleep you may need to wear a contraption designed for this. 4) stretching helped more after the pain was gone. 5) zero drop shoes (like Altra) can aggravate PF. Good luck! Taping got me through my first Camino where I had PF in both feet.

By all means confer with your physician and take all medical action.
Considering the source, I am someone who tries all things alternative
and that is my preference. You might consider looking into something
called LIFEWAVE.com patches that stimulate stem cell production.
There is a body of evidence already established demonstrating itheir
efficacy. Also proven by people I have met. Yes, it is a multi-level
company but you don't need to get involved in that way, and
I make no money referring... just trying to help you LEAVE NO
STONE UNTURNED ON THIS GREAT ADVENTURE!
BTW: I am bringing a few packages with me during my Sept 2024
Camino Frances for my own usage. They are called X39. T
here are others that perform other actions like antioxidants.
Travel is fun and exciting but it can take its toll and we need all
the help we can get.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Go to chiropractor and get them to 'crack' toes - not without some 'ouch' factor, but made the world of difference! I've been dealing with it for 6+ weeks and like you, have tried everything...being on my feet 9 hours a day at work hasn't been helping, but my work boots have always been my 'go to' footwear...and they aren't now. FitFlops are great..Birks, too - anything with support. Am headed back to orthotist, to get custom insoles re-worked.
Good luck and may see you on the trek - we're heading there in September also

Go to chiropractor and get them to 'crack' toes - not without some 'ouch' factor, but made the world of difference! I've been dealing with it for 6+ weeks and like you, have tried everything...being on my feet 9 hours a day at work hasn't been helping, but my work boots have always been my 'go to' footwear...and they aren't now. FitFlops are great..Birks, too - anything with support. Am headed back to orthotist, to get custom insoles re-worked.
Good luck and may see you on the trek - we're heading there in September also
How funny I got my toes cracked yesterday and you’re right, it does make a world of difference. Thanks to everyone on this forum I have to tell you the last 48 hours have been nearly pain-free. I’ve combined several of the suggestions together into a 20 minute routine and I walked 9 miles tonight with no pain. I’m happy to post the whole thing if you like, let me know. Or I could private message you on this forum. PF is the worst and I hope you get some relief quickly too. That’s so cool that you’re doing the Camino Portuguese in September. Are you starting in Porto or Lisbon? I hope to see you there!

I

The taping helped my feet a lot too!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wore north face with big heel and had no problems. Massaged my feet every 5km (and had a snack😂)

That's interesting how everyone is different. Birkenstocks have a definite stiff shape underfoot. I can not wear them at all as I have quite flat feet and their arch hurts me.
OTOH, I have two sister-in-law's and a daughter-in-law who all have occasional plantar fasciitis and they love Oofa's, which are very soft and cushiony; the total opposite of Birkenstocks.
I have found that the rubber Birkenstocks are far more pliable and comfortable that the leather versions as ‘recovery’ sandals, particularly after they have been broken in for a while.

Good advice here; glad it is helping. I would add that stretching your feet gently when you wake up, BEFORE you get out of bed and put weight on your feet, can help a lot. Otherwise, your feet have naturally stiffened a bit overnight, and when they suddenly bear your whole weight, that can re-injure (micro-tears in the fascia). So warm up and stretch your feet in bed first to protect the new healing.

When I wake, I flex and wiggle my feet, then sit up and massage my feet with my hands for a few minutes. This has helped a lot, as does always wearing supportive slippers on hard floors at home, instead of socks or bare feet.

Good luck, buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm a long time sufferer of PF (~15 years). I've tried about a million different OTC inserts, socks, and other products "guaranteed" to cure PF. None of them provided much relief. It wasn't until I found a good podiatrist that knows how to properly make casts of your foot that I finally found relief with custom made orthotics.

My first podiatrist didn't know what she was doing and the orthotics she had made were worthless. Then my primary doc recommended a different podiatrist she liked and the guy knew what he was doing. My first pair of orthotics from him hit the nail on the head. I started feeling relief about a week into wearing them daily and it was completely gone withing 3 months. I had him make a second pair and take the arch down a couple mm and that was a perfect fit. In 2022, I hike the entire 500 mile Camino Frances with them with minimal PF issues.

Abut 2 weeks ago, I completed the Portuguese Camino from Porto and I started having some PF flare ups again. I think there have been some changes to my feet over the past two years and I plan on making an appointment with my podiatrist soon for an evaluation to make a new pair.

As far as coping with PF on the trail, I've learned several treatments that help. Here they are listed in order of helpfulness.

1) Were a PF night splint while sleeping. Your toes and feet normally curl slightly while sleeping. This is also the time when the PF is healing. If they heal in a curled (shortened) position, that first step in the morning is not only very painful but damaging to the PF. The nigh splint helps them heal in a stretched position. There are many on the market, but the one I like best is made by 3M called FUTURO Plantar Fasciitis Night Support. Here's a link to it on AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057M3TWC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

2) After your daily hike, apply a topical analgesic to the feet to help relieve the swelling and pain. I find both topical Ibuprofen Gel and topical Diclofenac Gel very helpful, both of which are available OTC in the EU. Only Topical Diclofenac Gel is available in the USA.

3) PF compression 3/4 socks help somewhat. When things get bad (like during a 16 mile hike), I might use them to provide some support and relief. It's not magic, but it does help somewhat. Here's a link on AMAZON to the ones I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01091ZI0Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4) As you discussed, cortisone injections do provide excellent relief, but they only address the symptoms and can potentially have serious side effects. I went through two rounds of them with my first podiatrist and there was noticeable loss of connective tissue in my heels. It took years for them to heal back to normal. That was about 12 years ago and my understanding is that newer cortisone formulations have reduced this potential side effect, but I'm not willing to go there again.

Hope this helps! Buen Camino!

Hi, I did a couple on videos on that topic on YouTube if you care to watch.

standing on a stair on my forefeet, dropping the heel, then rising onto my "tippy toes". Take it fairly slowly and hold for a few seconds in both the down and up positions.
Agreed with most recommendations here — stretching AND strengthening the calf muscles and the intrinsic foot muscles (aka “doming”) is what my physiotherapist has recommended for the long term health of the foot. And sometimes my arch flares up when my hamstrings are tight and weak— yes, all are connected. You may need to rest a bit for now, and you may need a supportive insole (nothing too aggressive) while you heal. Definitely see your physio to get one-on-one assistance. Just know this: Walking on cobblestones with pf can be difficult.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I had the same issue last year before Camino. Got Chiropractic attention and orthotics. Walked 800 km and not a problem! Still have not had any issues.

I haven't read all the replies, but my 2 months of plantar fasciitis healed within a week after having a physical therapist (physio) do dry needling on my calf. It hurt for about 2 seconds during the procedure and rapidly started to heal in the next few days. Buen Camino! Hasn't come back in 4 years.

Most read last week in this forum

Where do I find weighing scales along the Camino? I went to a lot of trouble to get my weight down in ‘23, having reached worrying levels, and so far I am doing well at keeping it down. For that...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.