• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims Step Up!

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Time of past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
The Albergue Municipal de Najera filled up fast this afternoon, as it usually does in September. Forty-nine pilgrims squeezed in before Australian/Dutch hospitaleros Rob and Ines put out the "completo" sign. Pilgrims took showers, made meals, went out to shop or refresh.
And then the sky turned black and a massive storm hit. It was a monsoon-worthy downpour with high winds that shook the walls and thunder that rattled the dishes in the cupboard. The rain started pouring in from beneath the front door, and then down the wall alongside the registry desk -- where the electrical box is. In the dorm and the bathrooms water poured in around the closed windows. Pilgrims grabbed their bags up from the floor before they were soaked.
Then the lights went out.
Rob and Ines grabbed mops and buckets, then went back for the big floor squeegees when the water rolled in toward the dining area. When the wind finally died down and someone opened the front door, the water in the entry was two or three centimeters deep. The pilgrims abandoned their dinners and jumped up to help. They stripped off their shoes and socks, grabbed brooms and mops, and went to work, sweeping the water out the doors in the entryway, into the shower drains in the ladies' bath, and mopped into buckets in the dorm. Water kept coming in, but the hospis and a troupe of ten or fifteen pilgrims laughed and swept and sopped... and they got the water back outside, and down the drains.
The albergue waited in the dark for a while, then eventually went back to their dinners -- now with romantic candle light.
Pilgrims who'd been out in the town came back and said the entire old part of Najera is also mopping and sweeping water from their premises -- some were even shovelling. Some got mud instead of just water.
A couple of pilgrims helped a barman mop his flooded floors, so he gave them each a bottle of wine. They brought it back to the albergue to share.
The ayuntamiento opened the fronton so pilgrims could stay there instead, but no one chose to leave.
Ines and Rob will try the lights in the morning, when things have dried out a bit. No "lights out" announcements tonight!
Meantime, at 9:45 p.m., Ines writes "It's so gentle and peaceful here right now...people drifting around, cleaning their teeth...
It all feels a bit 'Spirit of Dunkirk,' really."
Great hospitaleros. Great pilgrims. And Albergue Municipal de Najera, at its apocalyptic best.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked many Caminos and I have mixed feelings about this topic. I usually try to book private lodgings in recent years when I walk on less traveled Caminos as I prefer to feel confident I...
I’m just two weeks away from my next Camino, and of course, I’m in full-on research mode—scrolling through every forum I can find (yes, that includes Reddit). One thing I’ve noticed? The number of...
Back on the Frances and hope to get to Santiago this time. This is my 3rd part of this Camino, 1st to Logrono 2022, 2nd to Leon 2023. After a bit of a hectic day getting to Leon from my home in...
As I have been recently diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease I feel like I want to walk another Camino. We did the Frances and very much loved it. My wife said find a path with infrastructure so...
Hi Everyone, Grateful for this community as my wife and I are planning our first Camino after 13 years of longing to go! We will be walking in mid-May to mid-June and I have a few questions...
Its probably been done a million times Someone arrives at the port..turns west and go as the birds do No maps No clues No expectations Its..over there and away we go! What an adventure vlog that...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.