Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrimage Plan for Beginners: Questions about Risk Management Along the Way

Kam14

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese way
Hello,
I am planning to start my pilgrimage from Porto in late September to early October.

However, I am a beginner and feel unsure about whether I can walk 20 kilometers a day. I am also concerned that I might not be able to continue walking due to blisters or knee pain.
Therefore, I would like to ask about the possible options in case I am unable to continue walking along the way.

In particular, I have heard that there are fewer albergues in Portugal (from Porto to Tui) compared to within Spain. If something happens and I can’t immediately find an albergue or hotel, what should I do?
Also, since I’m coming from Asia, I will have access to the internet but won’t be able to make local phone calls.
Are public phones still available and functional?

Sorry for all these trivial questions.
I would greatly appreciate advice from someone with experience.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome to the forum!

If something happens and I can’t immediately find an albergue or hotel, what should I do?
If you are in an emergency situation, you should ask anyone for help or call the Emergency number 112. If it is not an emergency, it will depend on the situation. There will be other people around to help, and taxis and transportation are widely available.

will have access to the internet but won’t be able to make local phone calls.
No public phones. If you are concerned about risk management, I think you should definitely get a SIM card for your phone so that you can make local phone calls. That is very simple and inexpensive. Others will be able to give more precise advice about doing that in Porto.

Hola

"..unsure about whether I can walk 20 kilometers a day".

Fill your backpack with the things you intend to take on your Camino and add water and food.
Get out now back at your home and try it.
See how it is for you to walk 20 km. :)
This experience will give you some peace of mind, knowing that you have walked 20 km before.

If you struggle with walking 20 km back home, then adjust your plan to walk less each day on the Camino - if you have the time for it.

In my experience most people withour disabilities will be able to walk 20 km a day.
It may take longer for some, but if you walk 6-8 hours, or even 10, you will cover a distance of 20 km.

Don't worry too much about the albergues.
There are plenty around and you are not walking in the absolute most busy time.
But if you find yourself in trouble, then just take a taxi. Use Google Translate to communicate with the driver or other locals.

For lodging, alberuges and hotels look at this site:
www.gronze.com

It is in Spanish, but you can probably extract the information about the places you can stay.
Spend some time now before you leave to familiarize yourself with the website.

I hope this helps.

Remember:

Everything flows
Flow with it

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The camino Portuguese is a walk through populated Portugal and Spain. There will be a lot of other pilgrims with you on the trail and you’ll pass by a multitude of restaurants, shops, accommodations, and such. If you cannot make the distance you had hoped to walk, you can always stay in a closer village or call a taxi to take you to your destination.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree with all the tips above. Another option on the Coastal Camino in Portugal if you get tired, is to take the train to Valenca and then walk across the bridge into Tui, Spain. The train stops in quite a few cities/towns along the Coastal Camino. Bom Caminho!

My first Camino was from Porto in late September early October. I could not imagine walking all the way to Santiago de Compostela. On day 3 it was quite overwhelming, so I stopped thinking of the whole journey and concentrated on one day at a time. That took away the pressure I was putting on myself. What seemed almost miraculous to me, at that time, was that I did walk all the way! Nothing bad happened and I did it...wow.

You will be fine, I'm sure. Take your time, don't rush the walk. You've nothing else to do all day. Should you have a problem it won't be more that a few minutes before someone comes across you as that is a busy route. Pilgrims help each other. Enjoy the scenery. Enjoy the freedom of just walking. Feel the ground beneath your feet. Breathe the air.

And these are not trivial questions.
Buen Camino

Hello,
I am planning to start my pilgrimage from Porto in late September to early October.

However, I am a beginner and feel unsure about whether I can walk 20 kilometers a day. I am also concerned that I might not be able to continue walking due to blisters or knee pain.
Therefore, I would like to ask about the possible options in case I am unable to continue walking along the way.

In particular, I have heard that there are fewer albergues in Portugal (from Porto to Tui) compared to within Spain. If something happens and I can’t immediately find an albergue or hotel, what should I do?
Also, since I’m coming from Asia, I will have access to the internet but won’t be able to make local phone calls.

Hello Kam
I have now walked 4 Camino Frances twice from SJPDP and twice from Sarria. Coastal from Porto and once SDC to Finisterre. I started aged 60 and am now 71. Early on my first I worked out a pattern that suited me and have used it ever since. I will share it in case it may help you.

I start out around 7.00am and walk for 2 hours when I stop for breakfast and a look around the town or village I am in, About 10.00ish I set off again and walk for 2 more hours when I stop for lunch and another look around. At this time I consult my guide book and select an alberque about another hours walk away with another one near to it in reserve just in case there is no space. This get me finished for the day between 2.00/2.30 giving me time to shower, rest and prepare for the evening meal. With my pack I cover about 4k an hour which is gentle walking and 5 hours walking allows me to cover 20k a day relatively comfortably. I also get 2 hour long breaks. On my first Camino I carried 13 kilos but when I got home I threw out everything I didn't use and now carry 7 kilos. I have never booked ahead as I never know where I am going to be aiming to stop until my lunch break. I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to walk on a few ks.

I have walked in April, May , June, July, September and October. My Camino Frances from SJPDP to SDC walked mid September to end of October was the most pleasant walking weather I encountered.

I hope this information will be of use to you,

Buen Camino

Vince

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Please get a SIM card with voice and data that will provide constant access to the web and to use the phone.

Every morning when you leave your hotel or albergue get the local taxi number. This way you will feel safer and if you are tired contact the taxi and they will bring you tou your next accommodation.

Have a great walk!

Hello,

I did that walk (actually today is an anniversary date of arriving in Santiago!). There were enough albergues along the way. Only once was I truly stuck as there were no openings and I was too exhausted/ sore to trek 8 more kms to the next option- so I got online and rented from Airbnb. A bunch of other pilgrims jumped in as we’re all used to sharing space anyway :)
I also started my days early and was often the first to arrive so was usually there as they opened up the albergues & grabbed the premium cot space.
You can get on WiFi pretty easily at cafes and / or use WhatsApp to communicate.
As for distance - just don’t overdo early on; I made that mistake and pushed too hard too fast. It’s your Camino - pace yourself & enjoy. Buen Camino!.

I have heard that there are fewer albergues in Portugal (from Porto to Tui) compared to within Spain.
I am sure there are fewer albergues that the CF as the CF has more pilgrims. Check out Gronze:
You can also download the Buen Camino and or Wise Pilgrim apps. Check out the albergues and the distances. Even the CF has a few sections with longer distances between albergues and towns. I would guess the CP may have more.
Won't comment on your other questions as they have been well addressed.
Your pack is heavy enough and as they say, leave your fears at home, as best you can. Bu remember your doubts and fears are shared by almost all. They will melt away. Do a little planning and it is one step at a time and if you listen to your body and not your mind and fears you will be fine!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Please get a SIM card with voice and data that will provide constant access to the web and to use the phone.

Every morning when you leave your hotel or albergue get the local taxi number. This way you will feel safer and if you are tired contact the taxi and they will bring you tou your next accommodation.

Have a great walk!
I forgot to mention,

If you have difficulties to express yourself in Portuguese, Spanish or and English. Generally local taxi driver can be reach by cellphone. In that case send a SMS message text.

Kim, you mentioned blisters. If you use an antiperspirants all over your feet before you put your socks on this will help to prevent blisters. also buy compeed you start. Buen Camino.

Welcome to the forum!

If you are in an emergency situation, you should ask anyone for help or call the Emergency number 112. If it is not an emergency, it will depend on the situation. There will be other people around to help, and taxis and transportation are widely available.

No public phones. If you are concerned about risk management, I think you should definitely get a SIM card for your phone so that you can make local phone calls. That is very simple and inexpensive. Others will be able to give more precise advice about doing that in Porto.
Thank you for your advice. I had thought that there would be fewer pilgrims on the Portuguese route, so I feel relieved to hear that there will be people around. I misunderstood and thought that SIM cards only allowed internet access. I will try to purchase one once I arrive. Thank you again😊

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola

"..unsure about whether I can walk 20 kilometers a day".

Fill your backpack with the things you intend to take on your Camino and add water and food.
Get out now back at your home and try it.
See how it is for you to walk 20 km. :)
This experience will give you some peace of mind, knowing that you have walked 20 km before.

If you struggle with walking 20 km back home, then adjust your plan to walk less each day on the Camino - if you have the time for it.

In my experience most people withour disabilities will be able to walk 20 km a day.
It may take longer for some, but if you walk 6-8 hours, or even 10, you will cover a distance of 20 km.

Don't worry too much about the albergues.
There are plenty around and you are not walking in the absolute most busy time.
But if you find yourself in trouble, then just take a taxi. Use Google Translate to communicate with the driver or other locals.

For lodging, alberuges and hotels look at this site:
www.gronze.com

It is in Spanish, but you can probably extract the information about the places you can stay.
Spend some time now before you leave to familiarize yourself with the website.

I hope this helps.

Remember:

Everything flows
Flow with it

Buen Camino
Lettinggo
Thank you for your reply.
Your advice was warm, practical, and very encouraging. I also appreciate the link to the albergues.
I will sincerely work on what I can do before I go, such as getting used to walking and navigating the website. Thank you so much😊

To reduce the risk further, use a bag transfer company. The less weight you are carrying, the less weight on your feet and knees. More chance of getting to you chosen destination.
Thank you for your advice. I will consider using a transfer service depending on my physical condition! ☺️

. I misunderstood and thought that SIM cards only allowed internet access.
It depends on the SIM that you purchase. Some are data only, others give you some calling time and texting.
If your phone supports dual SIMs you can have your regular phone number plus the Portuguese one, but you will need to know how to switch between the two.
I only use data on the Camino, and make phone calls via WhatsApp to other phones that use it. If I need to call a landline or another number that doesn't have WhatsApp I use the Viber app. I buy $5 worth of Viber credit, and it lasts through several Caminos because the calls are only about 2 cents a minute.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You are walking from Porto. Do visit Porto it is a lovely City. But I would suggest you take the metro to MATSINHOS and begin walking from this coastal town and avoid the industrial area leaving Porto. The Portuguese camino has a lot of pavement or hard surface walking, so do walk at a comfortable pace and use vasoline on your feet each morning. The coastal route is pretty flat.

But I would suggest you take the metro to MATSINHOS and begin walking from this coastal town and avoid the industrial area leaving Porto.
I'm sorry, but I never understand this suggestion. There is a better alternative to Matosinhos, and that is walking along the river, then make a right turn when you get to the ocean.

and avoid the industrial area leaving
This seems to be quite a common thought about various locations along various Caminos.

My thought: is perhaps choose an alternative bypass
off-piste route, or to only do this in special, perhaps dangerous, circumstances.

Otherwise walking every metre from end to end ("EFI" in the vernacular) of your chosen Camino (all or part there of) seems to be a more fulfilling journey.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
The camino Portuguese is a walk through populated Portugal and Spain. There will be a lot of other pilgrims with you on the trail and you’ll pass by a multitude of restaurants, shops, accommodations, and such. If you cannot make the distance you had hoped to walk, you can always stay in a closer village or call a taxi to take you to your destination.
Your message reassured me. I had heard that there are relatively fewer people and hotels on the Portuguese route, so I was worried that I might end up all alone if something happened... Thank you ☺️

I agree with all the tips above. Another option on the Coastal Camino in Portugal if you get tired, is to take the train to Valenca and then walk across the bridge into Tui, Spain. The train stops in quite a few cities/towns along the Coastal Camino. Bom Caminho!
Thank you for letting me know about the option of taking the train! I wasn’t very familiar with local transportation, so hearing that there’s such an alternative reassured me! Thank you☺️🚃

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Kam
I have now walked 4 Camino Frances twice from SJPDP and twice from Sarria. Coastal from Porto and once SDC to Finisterre. I started aged 60 and am now 71. Early on my first I worked out a pattern that suited me and have used it ever since. I will share it in case it may help you.

I start out around 7.00am and walk for 2 hours when I stop for breakfast and a look around the town or village I am in, About 10.00ish I set off again and walk for 2 more hours when I stop for lunch and another look around. At this time I consult my guide book and select an alberque about another hours walk away with another one near to it in reserve just in case there is no space. This get me finished for the day between 2.00/2.30 giving me time to shower, rest and prepare for the evening meal. With my pack I cover about 4k an hour which is gentle walking and 5 hours walking allows me to cover 20k a day relatively comfortably. I also get 2 hour long breaks. On my first Camino I carried 13 kilos but when I got home I threw out everything I didn't use and now carry 7 kilos. I have never booked ahead as I never know where I am going to be aiming to stop until my lunch break. I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to walk on a few ks.

I have walked in April, May , June, July, September and October. My Camino Frances from SJPDP to SDC walked mid September to end of October was the most pleasant walking weather I encountered.

I hope this information will be of use to you,

Buen Camino

Vince
Hello, Vince☺️
I’m so happy to hear from someone with so much camino experience. Thank you for explaining everything so thoroughly. I can now vividly imagine what my days might look like.
I'm relieved to hear that the weather is pleasant during that time. I'll be praying that it doesn’t rain after I set off (although I’ll still bring my rain gear, of course 😊☔️). Thank you so much 😊

My first Camino was from Porto in late September early October. I could not imagine walking all the way to Santiago de Compostela. On day 3 it was quite overwhelming, so I stopped thinking of the whole journey and concentrated on one day at a time. That took away the pressure I was putting on myself. What seemed almost miraculous to me, at that time, was that I did walk all the way! Nothing bad happened and I did it...wow.

You will be fine, I'm sure. Take your time, don't rush the walk. You've nothing else to do all day. Should you have a problem it won't be more that a few minutes before someone comes across you as that is a busy route. Pilgrims help each other. Enjoy the scenery. Enjoy the freedom of just walking. Feel the ground beneath your feet. Breathe the air.

And these are not trivial questions.
Buen Camino
Thank you for your message. I'm sure I will remember your story during my pilgrimage, and it will give me strength. Your words were very powerful, warm, and encouraging. As you said, I want to fully experience the pilgrimage with all my senses. Thank you ☺️

Have a great walk!
I’m sorry for the delayed thanks. I had mistakenly thought that SIM cards were only for web access, so your advice was really helpful. I’ll make sure to take note of the taxi numbers as well. Thank you so much ☺️

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I did that walk (actually today is an anniversary date of arriving in Santiago!). There were enough albergues along the way. Only once was I truly stuck as there were no openings and I was too exhausted/ sore to trek 8 more kms to the next option- so I got online and rented from Airbnb. A bunch of other pilgrims jumped in as we’re all used to sharing space anyway :)
I also started my days early and was often the first to arrive so was usually there as they opened up the albergues & grabbed the premium cot space.
You can get on WiFi pretty easily at cafes and / or use WhatsApp to communicate.
As for distance - just don’t overdo early on; I made that mistake and pushed too hard too fast. It’s your Camino - pace yourself & enjoy. Buen Camino!.
I’m sorry for the delayed thanks. You’re right, I can definitely use Airbnb too! 😳 I had completely forgotten about that! With your advice in mind, I hope to walk at my own pace. Thank you so much 😊

However, I am a beginner and feel unsure about whether I can walk 20 kilometers a day.
Most people end up walking about 25K/day, but really that's a range of variable distances between about 15K and 35K. Don't think you need to walk 20K each and every single day, well unless of course that distance or higher is what you end up being comfortable with.

Varying how far you walk day-to-day depending on external and your own personal conditions is often the right choice for many pilgrims.
I am also concerned that I might not be able to continue walking due to blisters or knee pain.
It is extremely important to take a rest day if and when you might need one !!

Try not to tie yourself into an overly ambitious hard schedule of walking every single day at least X kilometres within some overly tight time frame, but try and be more flexible and reactive.

In your planning, include a few extra days as a safety net and/or spend time in Santiago or wherever, for rest when you'll need it along the way, and if you end up with extra days after you reach Santiago, then I dunno, walk to Fisterra or use those days for other purposes or something.

If possible and economic, try and have a flexible return date.

Hello,

Hello! With the wealth of information, handy hints and reassurance from so many experienced forum members......you can turn your anxiousness into excitement and look forward to a wonderful experience. Bon Caminho!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
You are walking from Porto. Do visit Porto it is a lovely City. But I would suggest you take the metro to MATSINHOS and begin walking from this coastal town and avoid the industrial area leaving Porto. The Portuguese camino has a lot of pavement or hard surface walking, so do walk at a comfortable pace and use vasoline on your feet each morning. The coastal route is pretty flat.
What does Vaseline do to help you feet when you are walking, is it a lubricant to stop chaffing and getting blisters? Personally I would have thought it would make you get slide around causing blisters?? Definitely interested in your answer thanks.

Depending on how much time you have, you can also build up to 20K a day while on Camino! This is what my husband and I did for our first Camino in June & July of this year. We walked 10K the first two days, then 13-15K the next few days, then walked regularly for 15-20K a day. Yes,that's considered slow, but it worked really well for us. Even though we'd regularly walked 10-12K at home, including several trial runs eith our packs, this plan helped us feel more confident and avoid injuries.

We also booked ahead for each day prior to leaving home. This further helped us answer questions like "are we going to be able to do this? Will we find a place to sleep? Will we get to enjoy the towns we're walking through?"

In the end, we took 17 days to walk from Porto to Santiago. We combined the Coastal with the Central and included the Variante Espiritual. We did not need a rest day because we had several afternoons off.

Most read last week in this forum

We are still in Lisbon at a hotel waiting to get to Porto. We are a day behind our desired schedule. Being here is so different from watching everyone’s videos and instructions. Hubby is thinking...
We are walking the Camino Portuguese today and the fires outside of Albergaría a Velha forced us to evacuate to Sao Joao da Madeira. I am trying to find the best resource to check on our path to...
Greetings from Portugal, We are currently in the town of Santarem. We have met some wonderful folks and we have a question. Does anyone know if there is a way to transport backpacks from here to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back