• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Phone services - which is best

SusieP

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hello, We are planning on doing the Porto coastal route in the next week or two. We are flying from the west coast in the US. I've read many threads on phone service. There was one really great, comprehensive post. However, we haven't found the answer to our question. Now, we'll call Verizon tomorrow, unless they are closed for the holiday. Then, we'll call on Tuesday. My husband and I were hoping to learn from all of you.

We have iPhones and Verizon. We were looking at possibly getting Google Fi. It seems clear to set up although a little time consuming. Some say that you need to be on it for months before using it abroad and others say just a few days. Google says just a few days.

Orange sounds like it might work for us as well.

The big question...Do any of you use Verizon and another international calling plan like Google Fi or Orange? If so, how does that work for you? Too much info and too many options are giving us decision fatigue. LOL

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I'm on the Camino currently and got an orange SIM card. I'm unable to text, phone calls seem to sometimes work, and usually Wi-Fi is available. With that said I'm currently in Fonfria, and I have to use the Wi-Fi here because my orange Sim is not getting service.

I'm on the Camino currently and got an orange SIM card. I'm unable to text, phone calls seem to sometimes work, and usually Wi-Fi is available. With that said I'm currently in Fonfria, and I have to use the Wi-Fi here because my orange Sim is not getting service.
Thank you so much! One thought was to put Orange on my phone and use Verizon on my husband's phone. We actually got through to Verizon on a holiday weekend and Sunday no less. Yay! They have an unlimited plan for $100 a month. I think we have a winner. :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That is not inexpensive even for 2 phones compared to the option of buying an Orange simcard. That being said, what you will get for $100 sounds seamless and you don't have to deal with making sure your phones are unlocked. The iPhone 15 has the capacity for dual simcards so you can use your US service along with your Orange service. I have used Orange for years and never had a problem on multiple Caminos with service in France, Spain or Portugal.

I'm a big fan of Google Fi but Google has another free service (domestically), Google Voice, that allows cheap international rates but only through WiFi or cellular data. But WhatsApp works domestically and internationally for free, again only through WiFi or cellular data, but it can only call other people with WhatsApp.

Do your iPhones have dual SIMs? That complicates instructions but offers you much greater flexibility. If you aren't sure tell us the model of your phones.

I'll be happy to elaborate tomorrow but today we're hosting a cookout starting in about a half an hour.

The big question...Do any of you use Verizon and another international calling plan like Google Fi or Orange? If so, how does that work for you? Too much info and too many options are giving us decision fatigue.
I am not a US resident, so don't have access to Google Fi or Verizon, but it seems to me that there are other options that would be far less expensive than using a roaming plan from your domestic provider.

That said, if you do have two-factor authentication set for your banking services, if this currently uses a mobile number you will need to set up another arrangement, like using an email if that is possible, with your bank. Either that or avoid doing on-line transactions that will trigger these protection measures. If that isn't going to be possible, having at least one domestic number available for that might be necessary.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm a big fan of Google Fi but Google has another free service (domestically), Google Voice, that allows cheap international rates but only through WiFi or cellular data. But WhatsApp works domestically and internationally for free, again only through WiFi or cellular data, but it can only call other people with WhatsApp.

Do your iPhones have dual SIMs? That complicates instructions but offers you much greater flexibility. If you aren't sure tell us the model of your phones.

I'll be happy to elaborate tomorrow but today we're hosting a cookout starting in about a half an hour.
Thank you! We are going to put Orange on my phone and use Verizon on my husband's phone as we plan on using credit as well as cash and have double authentication. The cost is worth it for us. My husband's phone has dual SIMs. I don't know if mine does. I have an iPhone 11. The notes say I can add a sim. I don't need to at this point.

Thank you! We are going to put Orange on my phone and use Verizon on my husband's phone as we plan on using credit as well as cash and have double authentication.
I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, but I've have never had to use two factor authentication to use my credit card on the Camino.

I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, but I've have never had to use two factor authentication to use my credit card on the Camino.
The issue I found this year was doing some higher cost on-line transactions, including some accommodation payments, bus and concert tickets. It was never a problem for in-person payments using any of my credit cards.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Thank you! We are going to put Orange on my phone and use Verizon on my husband's phone as we plan on using credit as well as cash and have double authentication. The cost is worth it for us. My husband's phone has dual SIMs. I don't know if mine does. I have an iPhone 11. The notes say I can add a sim. I don't need to at this point.
I see that an iPhone 11 has dual SIM, a physical card and an eSIM. That gives the two of you great flexibility but it appears that you are looking for simplicity. So, although either of you could have both Verizon AND Orange on your phones, I suggest that your phone use a physical SIM card for your Spanish plan. I say this because if your phone dies on the trip you could take out your husband's Verizon SIM and put your SIM card into his phone whenever needed.

Now you face the question of whether you leave your Verizon card at home or take it with you. If you take it you have to ensure it doesn't get damaged or lost. If you take it and your husband's phone gets lost then you can do SIM card swapping on your phone.

Doug mentioned two factor authentication. One easy method to get this is using your bank's app. So safety measure one is using a login to the app, something you know (login name and password). The app then checks your device for its identity, safety measure two, something you own.

This isn't guaranteed to work 100% of the time but it should at least reduce the number of times a bank sends out a code to your phone for you to return it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have an iPhone X. I use an electronic SIM for my US phone number, and put in a physical SIM when I go to Europe. The last time was Orange and it worked fine.

Although I have a regular US mobile number, I've started using my US Google Voice number for everything so people can call me from the US no matter where I am in the world. They have no idea that I'm even out of the country.

I also use Google voice for two-factor authentication (although I think there was one credit card that wouldn't accept it because it's a virtual number).

I have been happy with my t-Mobile coverage at home in the US. In particular, the single best feature is that they provide FREE UNLIMITED Text and Data in more than 150 foreign countries, including all of Europe.

If you set your phone to use Wi-Fi for voice calls (see Settings) you can make free voice calls from your accommodations or a cafe offering free Wi-Fi. Otherwise any voice call is USD .25 cents per minute, in either direction. Nice to have for emergencies, but I send all incoming voice calls from home to voicemail during the day, and check the voicemail later on Wi-Fi.

As I land in Madrid, Lisbon, Paris, Tokyo, Bangkok, etc, when turn my phone back on or take it out of Airplane Mode, it just connects to a t-Mobile roaming partner. As t-Mobile is a German based corporation, their roaming agreements across Europe are first-rate. This is particularly good as most new phones use e-SIMs and not physical SIMs. You do not need to do anything for this to work. t-Mobile just knows from your location and usage.

They only start sending me polite reminders after about 30 calendar days. The reminders tell you that the free service is intended for vacations and business trips, not relocation. Evidently, not many people take month-long, or longer vacations / Caminos. But, they have never cut me off.

I have a senior, 55+ plan that costs USD 54 per month. I get free, unlimited everything in the US - including 5G service. Overseas, the speed might be attenuated slightly, but the coverage is better. In nearly ten years of using one iPhone or another, out of the US, I have found the signal strength to be superior to that in the US - and I live in northern Virginia, about 25 miles out of Washington, DC.

I suggest you look into this if you live in the US and travel out of the country with any regularity.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Hello, We are planning on doing the Porto coastal route in the next week or two. We are flying from the west coast in the US. I've read many threads on phone service. There was one really great, comprehensive post. However, we haven't found the answer to our question. Now, we'll call Verizon tomorrow, unless they are closed for the holiday. Then, we'll call on Tuesday. My husband and I were hoping to learn from all of you.

We have iPhones and Verizon. We were looking at possibly getting Google Fi. It seems clear to set up although a little time consuming. Some say that you need to be on it for months before using it abroad and others say just a few days. Google says just a few days.

The big question...Do any of you use Verizon and another international calling plan like Google Fi or Orange? If so, how does that work for you? Too much info and too many options are giving us decision fatigue. LOL

We use Verizon all over Europe with no problems. It’s $100 a month for unlimited data & text and 250 minutes talk, which is worth it. Just need to keep the phone calls short when not on WiFi. I tell personal callers I’m walking and will call them back when I stop at a restaurant, most of which have WiFi. We have a vpn, so I don’t worry about hacking.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

The eSIM services are very good and inexpensive now. I have used Aíralo in 2024 in Europe with great results. Download the app and follow along.

You need to be aware that Verizon $100 per month plan is not for a calendar month, its for a billing cycle month. If your billing cycle starts on the 6th of the month and you start international service on the 3rd you pay $100 for those days.

I am using Google fi and it works well overseas. I have used it in Portugal, France, Andorrah, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Israel

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Just a word of caution. Many comments recommend, as I do, Orange. But some vendors have painted their facilities/booths, orange, to appear as "Orange". I've used both Orange and other providers and have nothing significant to be negative about.

I used Airalo with an Android Verizon phone with duel sim. It worked well but was a pain for text. To get a text I needed to get on wifi and switch to the Verizon sim. Switching back and forth was a royal pain - but it worked. Next time I will get 1 month of international wifi (for some reason it says $75 instead of $100 on my account) and do the Airola for the days beyond a month. Not sure if you can do partial month of international service.

I've tried to see if there was some way to get text while using a sim and I don't think it is possible on an android. The issue is the sim gives you a new phone #.

I used Airalo with an Android Verizon phone with duel sim. It worked well but was a pain for text. To get a text I needed to get on wifi and switch to the Verizon sim. Switching back and forth was a royal pain - but it worked. Next time I will get 1 month of international wifi (for some reason it says $75 instead of $100 on my account) and do the Airola for the days beyond a month. Not sure if you can do partial month of international service.

I've tried to see if there was some way to get text while using a sim and I don't think it is possible on an android. The issue is the sim gives you a new phone #.
We just said to heck with it and signed up for the month of Verizon for both phones. There were a lot of little things we would have to do before getting any other service. I'll leave this here. LOL Ease is our motto. Thank you! I know others who read this thread will find it helpful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Agree. We are going the easy route next time and paying Verizon. I just need to understand the fine print of the dates. We probably need 40 days of service so need to see what to do with the 10 days beyond a month. When does the month start and end and is it based on your billing month. Do they prorate a month?

Agree. We are going the easy route next time and paying Verizon. I just need to understand the fine print of the dates. We probably need 40 days of service so need to see what to do with the 10 days beyond a month. When does the month start and end and is it based on your billing month. Do they prorate a month?
I actually responded but it disappeared. LOL I bet I didn't hit the post button. We put in the beginning and end dates. We will not be out for more than a month, so I don't know. However, we called Verizon. They were very helpful.

If you call a couple of months ahead AT&T will move your billing date around for you. We move ours to start the day we arrive so we avoid more than one month charge. In 2023 we stayed longer than a month so just used WIFI the last couple of days.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here (who misspells things in post titles when not wearing glasses!!) and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth...
I'm plan to complete the Camino Frances in a final 2 week stint from Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostela. I'll need to wash clothes half way, which will probably be near Sarria. Does anyone know...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.