Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Packing List Review & Questions 3 days before departure.

Carsonian

Time of past OR future Camino
October-November 2024
Hi everyone,

I am leaving for my Camino in 3 days on Oct 19th. I am flying to Paris, training to Bayonne and then SJPDP and will start walking on the 21st. I am hoping to get a final review of my packing list, bookings, and plan to make sure I am not missing anything or making any mistakes.

Here is my packing list, let me know if I am missing anything or should cut anything:
Packing List via LighterPack

I have a few specific questions as well:

1. I have booked accomodation in SJPDP, Borda, Roncesvalles. But I have nothing booked after that. Will that be okay this time of the year? Can I just show up to public Albergues in all the rest of the towns without booking? That is what I ideally want to do so long as I wouldn't get stuck out on the street.

2. No power bank? I don't use my phone much at all throughout the day so I don't think I will struggle. I see mixed opinions on this, any advice?

3. Any utility items I should include, like safety pins, clotheslines etc?

4. Bringing cash, I have 100 EUR of cash I got as gifts. I have a no fee debit card I used while travelling before. Is it best to just withdraw from ATMs when I arrive using that?

5. Best guide app? Looking at WisePilgrim Frances app right now. I want some information about the route each day like a guide book. For navigation I am considering Organic Maps with the Santiago.nl files for the route. Anything else necessary like Camino Ninja?

Overall just double-checking I am prepared and haven't missed or messed up anything obvious. Thanks for the help!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
  1. Probably yes. That's what I would do at this time of year.
  2. Probably yes, if your battery is decent. If not you can always buy a power bank in Pamplona
  3. Safety pins are good. Locking diaper pins are best if you can find them. I've never carried a clothes line - it is fun to improvise ways to hang clothes up!
  4. Yes. But I would stock up at the first opportunity (in SJPP) with more like 300 Euros.
  5. Wise Pilgrim is good, as are others. I use Organic Maps to add alternative routes and my own notes.
Regarding your packing list, if you are happy with that weight, it look good. If you are trying to reduce... I see you have 3 t-shirts, but could probably get away with only 2. You have 3 pairs of pants and might leave 1 behind. My guess is that you will not get as much reading done on your e-reader as you expected.

Buen Camino!

Your list looks quite complete to me. Is your full pack 10% of your body weight, or close to it? I recommend activating Google Pay on your phone in order to reduce your reliance on carrying cash (advise your bank you will be travelling). I wear a waist pack for common every day items and to reduce the number of times the backpack has to be removed. I also wear a neck pouch for important documents, extra cash, and bank cards, and it is always out of sight under my shirt, and comes in the shower with me. A few safety pins will be useful for hanging wet socks on your backpack.

Personally, I would not bring a Kobo and a journal. I keep an on-line blog, complete with photos and video links using simply Google Docs, and there are other blogging apps.

As for accommodations, I have not walked at this time of year. I will leave that item for others to comment. I have used Wise Pilgrim and I like it very much. I never had a power bank and never needed one. WiFi is available in most albergues, but you may want to consider getting an EU SIM card over there, or at least investigate a travel plan for your phone.There are several threads about SIM cards for Europe.

Buen Camino.

Thanks for both the detailed response! Super helpful info.

My pack weighs about 7kg and I weigh about 77kg so about 10% of bodyweight.

I know 3 pants 3 shirts is a bit much, my thoughts are that I have roughly 10 days after I finish my Camino where I would appreciate having my extra pair of non hiking pants/shirt, and the sweatpants are a bit of a luxury because they are comfortable for sleeping, maybe not necessary? How aggressively should I be cutting at this point?

Interesting thoughts on the E-reader/journal as well. An online journal could be interesting as an option, only downside could be missing the feeling of handwriting and having a physical journal at the end to look through. I will have to think it through, any opinions appreciated.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If you don´t need it, donate it. If you haven´t got it, you can buy it - remember Spain is a developed country with a thriving outdoor and adventure market so you can buy stuff along the way. Your packing list looks fine. By the way, that 10% rule is not really meaningful. It´s about what you can carry comfortably and what fits in your backpack. I would not bother with a massage ball. Take a tennis ball so you play games, or not bother. Personally I wouldn´t bother. I prefer to keep a paper journal, its a nice thing to have and writing by hand can be a nice, thoughtful, relaxing thing to do, but that´s just old-fashioned me. You´ll be good , Buen camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Also something I saw suggested was a small massage ball like this one? Not sure if that's a waste of space/weight.
That totally depends on how much use you will get out of it. You may find it's your new best friend, or you may end up ditching it after days three or four.

As to your packing list: remember that the whole 10% guideline is just that - a guide. All that really matters is are you comfortable carrying the load you have? If you are, and you've done three days back to back of 10- 15km carrying all of your gear then go with it - comfort items included.
If it's not comfortable/ feels a little heavy then ditch the comfort items. ( Or be prepared to a few days onto the trail, as Dick say's above).

Safety pins weigh almost nothing, they're a definite!

Personally I wouldn't bother with the e-reader but that's just another comfort item ( see above).
Power bank. I appreciate you don't normally use your phone much however if you're going to be using the maps frequently - they use quite a lot of juice. The other advantage of a power bank is you don't have to worry leaving that unattended whilst charging. (I would never leave my phone unattended even at this time of the year). But that's just me.
Take the journal, ensure you remember to note down emergency contact numbers your flight details ETC in it as a backup.

Regarding your specifics:
1. Yes, you should not have problems to find available beds. However some albergues might be already closed for the season. Might need a tiny bit of planning, but overall should not be a problem.
2. On 3 caminos i have not needed a powerbank. But have a good charger+cable combination so that your phone charges fast. If you should ever run the risk of running empty during the day, why not stop for a coffe for half an hour and charge the phone.
3. I take some clothepins, others prefer safety pins. Both work. Never needed a cloth line.
4. ATMs are frequent, but 100€ might be a little low at some points. Also note that most ATMs will charge a fee for using them even if you card is no fee. I usually took 200-300 when getting cash.
5. I use Buen Camino and Ninja for organization. There might be better options that are more like a proper guidebook with history and the like.

Regarding the packing:
- Thats quite a heavy sleeping bag.
- 2 Shirts should be enough. As are 2 pants.
- You rainjacket and trousers are quite heavy.
- would take only 1 hat and 1 pair of gloves
- sent my reader home the first time i took it and never missed it afterwards
- 300g for journaling... if it is worth it too you, ok
- instead of the over shoulder bag i use a 10l folding pack from Decathlon. Weighs less than half.
- I would only take one pair of headphones

thats my 2 cent

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I pack a small selection of cable ties in three or four different lengths. While they haven't been used on every one of my pilgrimages, they have been used on enough to justify keeping them in my packing list.

I’d take a small power bank so that you can leave it charging unattended if you choose.
Yep. A small one, the size of a cigarette lighter, just in case. A plastic box comes in handy for carrying lunch, but it´s not a must have. I´d also think about dry-sacs for your spare clothes and sleeping bag as well: believe me, a backpack cover is almost totally useless at keeping the contents of your pack dry. And finally, don´t expect to do much reading.

I have carried a KoboClara on two caminos but rarely used it. except for long journeys before and after camino. It lived quite happily, without a case, in the zippered at the back of my Talon: not sure if your larger Talon has this feature. Cases and containers add up in weight: my naked Kobo is 170gm. You could save quite a bit of weight by just buying a continental charger rather than carrying your own plus adaptor. I'm also a light phone user and never needed a powerpack.

I see that you have found the holy grail of a weightless towel, and a few other items!

I really enjoyed a bit of shopping in Santiago after weeks of wearing the same two outfits.

Best guide app? Looking at WisePilgrim Frances app right now. I want some information about the route each day like a guide book. For navigation I am considering Organic Maps with the Santiago.nl files for the route.
I use Wise Pilgrim for navigation. You really don't need another separate map app because the Camino route is built into Wise Pilgrim.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

In 2023 I walked the CF from SLPDP. In 2024 I walked the Vía de la Plata from Seville. For 2025 I was/am going to walk the next logical option - the Camino Portuguese. Seeing something different...
Did my 5th CF this past June. After the first two (2016 & 2018), I felt like that was enough. Then a few years later in 2021 I thought well maybe one more in 2022. When I got back from that one, I...
Update I haven’t posted in several days and stopped responding to comments because I’ve been simply too emotionally and physically exhausted and could not keep up. The Camino took every ounce of...
Can anybody tell me what the section of the retablo of the Chapel of the Birth Of the Virgin Mary (Capilla de la Natividad de la Virgen) represents, shown in the attached photo? Thanks.
My husband, Jim, and I have walked the Camino Frances twice from SJPP to Santiago, in 2014 and 2023. We are now retired in our mid-60's and would like to pilgrimage again in 2026. However, this...
Looking to book Camino Frances end of March. Good reviews for Walks in Spain but Pilgrim.es has quoted cheaper but can’t find any reviews. Any advice please 😊

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back