• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing for my 2nd Camino: What changed in my gear list

CamisMors

Camilla
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés - September/2023
Inglés - October/2024
After my first Camino, I made several adjustments to my packing list for this year in the hope of being more efficient. Here’s a breakdown of what I changed and why:
  • Lighting: Last time, I didn't bring a torch, thinking my phone's flashlight would be enough. Unfortunately, it wasn't bright enough and quickly drained the precious battery I needed for photos and internet. I ended up buying a cheap lantern at a Chinese shop in Los Arcos for €2, which got me through the dark mornings when leaving the albergue, but either way it was very annoying having to walk holding the lantern. This year, I invested in a 300-lumen headlamp that I hope will last for many trips to come.

• Sleeping Gear: Since I tend to sleep warm, I brought a sleeping bag liner and a small fleece blanket for the colder nights. While this setup worked for September weather, the liner didn’t have a zipper, making it uncomfortable when I wanted to stick my foot out for some fresh air. Plus, the fabric was so noisy that I often tried not to move to avoid disturbing other pilgrims. This year, I’ve upgraded to a proper sleeping bag that weighs just 500g. The best part? It’s not noisy at all! I haven't tested it yet, but it seems like a great purchase.

• Towel: I initially brought a huge microfiber towel, thinking I could use it to create some privacy on the bunk bed, but I never actually did. It took up way too much space in my backpack, and I even ended up forgetting it at the albergue one morning. Fortunately, I found a smaller hand towel in a donation box at the next stop, which turned out to be the perfect size. This time, I’m sticking with that same hand towel from the albergue.

• Footwear: Last year, I faced the dilemma of carrying with me three pairs of shoes for 2/3 of the Francés because I eventually bought hiking sandals along the way to manage blisters, in addition to my trainers and flip-flops. Surprisingly, the sandals not only helped with the blisters but also were a lifesaver on rainy days—I’d rather walk one day in sandals and wet socks than deal with smelly wet shoes for the next two days. So, I’m packing all three pairs again this year.

• Toiletries: The shampoo bar I used last time was a complete disaster—by day five, my hair felt like straw, and I suspect I was beginning to smell funny by the time I arrived in Santiago. This time, I’m switching to regular shampoo in a travel-sized bottle. I’ll also be leaving out items like nail clippers, tweezers and a razor since this will be a much shorter Camino (Francés vs. Inglés).

• Walking poles: Last time, I mostly used just one pole, while the other stayed attached to my backpack. By the end of the camino, I barely used them at all. So this year, I'm packing only a single pole instead of the pair. This may be a controversial choice, but based on my last experience I think this will be the right call for me.

• Clothing: less is more. Always.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After my first Camino, I made several adjustments to my packing list for this year in the hope of being more efficient. Here’s a breakdown of what I changed and why:
  • Lighting: Last time, I didn't bring a torch, thinking my phone's flashlight would be enough. Unfortunately, it wasn't bright enough and quickly drained the precious battery I needed for photos and internet. I ended up buying a cheap lantern at a Chinese shop in Los Arcos for €2, which got me through the dark mornings when leaving the albergue, but either way it was very annoying having to walk holding the lantern. This year, I invested in a 300-lumen headlamp that I hope will last for many trips to come.

• Sleeping Gear: Since I tend to sleep warm, I brought a sleeping bag liner and a small fleece blanket for the colder nights. While this setup worked for September weather, the liner didn’t have a zipper, making it uncomfortable when I wanted to stick my foot out for some fresh air. Plus, the fabric was so noisy that I often tried not to move to avoid disturbing other pilgrims. This year, I’ve upgraded to a proper sleeping bag that weighs just 500g. The best part? It’s not noisy at all! I haven't tested it yet, but it seems like a great purchase.

• Towel: I initially brought a huge microfiber towel, thinking I could use it to create some privacy on the bunk bed, but I never actually did. It took up way too much space in my backpack, and I even ended up forgetting it at the albergue one morning. Fortunately, I found a smaller hand towel in a donation box at the next stop, which turned out to be the perfect size. This time, I’m sticking with that same hand towel from the albergue.

• Footwear: Last year, I faced the dilemma of carrying with me three pairs of shoes for 2/3 of the Francés because I eventually bought hiking sandals along the way to manage blisters, in addition to my trainers and flip-flops. Surprisingly, the sandals not only helped with the blisters but also were a lifesaver on rainy days—I’d rather walk one day in sandals and wet socks than deal with smelly wet shoes for the next two days. So, I’m packing all three pairs again this year.

• Toiletries: The shampoo bar I used last time was a complete disaster—by day five, my hair felt like straw, and I suspect I was beginning to smell funny by the time I arrived in Santiago. This time, I’m switching to regular shampoo in a travel-sized bottle. I’ll also be leaving out items like nail clippers, tweezers and a razor since this will be a much shorter Camino (Francés vs. Inglés).

• Walking poles: Last time, I mostly used just one pole, while the other stayed attached to my backpack. By the end of the camino, I barely used them at all. So this year, I'm packing only a single pole instead of the pair. This may be a controversial choice, but based on my last experience I think this will be the right call for me.

Thanks for the insight.

Just to be clear on footwear--

Are you saying your "three pairs of shoes" are:
-an everyday walker
-sandals
-flip flops

?

Did you wear socks with your sandals?

The shampoo bar I used last time was a complete disaster—by day five, my hair felt like straw,
It's so important to try things out before you take on the Camino. Not just once or twice - give it a good trial period. It sounds like you got the wrong shampoo bar for your hair type. I've been using shampoo bars almost exclusively at home after first using one on my first Camino in 2016. Most work well for my hair, but I tried a couple that didn't.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Before my first Camino, I took my fully loaded pack to Ines and Rob (of Rebekah's albergue storm post) and asked them to analyse my kit. Despite me thinking I'd packed light, they ruthlessly discarded about 50%. I protested some exclusions with:
Me: "But I might need....."
Ines: "Them there's the devil's words!".
Back home I included some of the discarded items....which I subsequently never used and were consigned to donativo baskets along the way. They were right. I was humbled.

It's all trial and error. Looks like you've got it sorted and I'm so with you re shampoo/conditioner. No matter how hard I try, I can't do without mine. Buen Camino!

Thanks for the insight.

Just to be clear on footwear--

Are you saying your "three pairs of shoes" are:
-an everyday walker
-sandals
-flip flops

?

Did you wear socks with your sandals?
That's right.
I originally started with a pair of Columbia waterproof hiking shoes that were fairly well broken in. However, I didn’t anticipate how much my feet would swell, and the intense heat caused me to sweat so much, my socks were constantly damp, which led to some awfully painful blisters. I suspect the waterproof feature of the shoes limited breathability, making things worse.

In a desperate attempt to alleviate the pain and keep going, I decided to buy a pair of Teva sandals and also a pair of Altra trainers (which I love because of their wider toe box), and I shipped my original shoes back home. It was a bit of a gamble since I wasn’t sure if they'd work, but fortunately, they did. That's why I kept the trainers, the sandals and the flip flops with me for the rest of the way.

I’m not certain which one resolved the blister issue, but I managed to stay blister free for the rest of the Camino. The Columbia shoes are still great and comfortable—I’ve even used them for shorter hikes since then—but they just weren’t the right choice for a summer Camino.

To protect my feet from gravel and add some extra padding, I wore the sandals with socks, occasionally even double socks on cooler days. Once the blisters healed, I sometimes wore them without socks at all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@CamisMors It may seem like a silly question (but consider the source)... Why take both Tevas and flip flops? It is probably just me, but I don't mind wearing my Tevas from the shower and then out/about. BTW, what sleeping bag did you decide on? I am planning to use a liner and possibly a down throw (~3x6'). Thanks!

Thank you for this - I'll be walking mid-October-early November so this is really useful

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
You’ve made me rethink my sleeping stuff. I was going to bring a liner and a camping quilt but I think the quilt has buttons or something to sleeping-bagify it. My only fear is that I sleep very hot, but I’ll be there in April so it should be chilly and I can hang a leg out if I need to. Hmmm…

You’ve made me rethink my sleeping stuff. I was going to bring a liner and a camping quilt but I think the quilt has buttons or something to sleeping-bagify it. My only fear is that I sleep very hot, but I’ll be there in April so it should be chilly and I can hang a leg out if I need to. Hmmm…
If it's hot you just use the liner without the quilt. It's a very flexible system.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, just reading up about the Altus poncho … is it 100% absolutely waterproof in heavy, even torrential rain? I am looking to buy a new rain jacket or poncho for my next Camino in March/April...
After my first Camino, I made several adjustments to my packing list for this year in the hope of being more efficient. Here’s a breakdown of what I changed and why: Lighting: Last time, I didn't...
What is most prominent on the trail? I have a pair of three section telescoping poles. They don't fold into thirds but slide longer or shorter. They are great but still quite tall when compressed...
I am staying at Hospedería San Martin Pinario while I volunteer at the Pilgrim’s office in late October to early November. I’m wondering if they provide toiletries such as soap, shampoo, etc. or...
Hello, I'll be walking Frances in October starting from SJPdP. It's my first time walking. My backpack is now 7.5kg all included but I'm looking to reduce weight. I'm looking for advice re...
I received a notification from FindPenguins that the app is now completely free - it's no longer a two tiered system with basic free accounts and premium accounts. https://findpenguins.com/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.