• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Package list and shoes for October/November Camino Frances

StaffanE

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2024
There is a lot of good package lists on the web. However, it seems that almost all are made for a Summer Camino with high temperatures and sunshine in mind. My question is. If I start by crossing the Pyrenees in mid October do I need hiking sandals (which many seem to be fond of) or should I choose some other shoes for the evening / as an alternative to the hiking shoes. Also - what kind of temperatures can I expect and what warm clothes do I need in addition to T-shirts and shorts? Thanks for your suggestions!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I take a pair of black clogs type Crocs. They are bulky, but they are my preferred evening shoe, even at home. Can be worn with or without socks. Also good on the plane.

In October and November, I feel like you'll want long pants. Be prepared for rain as well.

@StaffanE , welcome to the forum.
There are many October/ November packing lists on here, the best way to search for any information is to tap on the search function (magnifying glass top right). Then choose 'advanced search', enter a couple of keywords (for example 'October packing list') choose 'titles only' and then hit search. If that fails select the 'first posts' option.

By doing so I immediately found this thread, there are plenty more.

Thread 'Advice on clothing packing list in October (Camino Frances)' https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...packing-list-in-october-camino-frances.88991/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Incidentally, whilst I myself wear sandals at times in summer, I predominantly use them just to give my feet a break and for the late afternoon's after I've finished for the day. October/ November I would be tempted to carry a comfortable, well cushioned, lightweight pair of sneakers rather than sandals for the evening.

The vast majority of us wear some kind of trail runner on camino, a few prefer sandals or boots. We are also split on the subject of Gore-Tex versus non-goretex (I personally only wear Gore-Tex in the middle of winter, and that because of snow).
If you're planning to start in a couple of weeks I hope you've already got something, you ideally want to walk in new shoes for two or three days back to back (approximately 10 to 15 km) to ensure there are no manufacturing defects.
Should you still need to buy something remember that you need something that is at least a half-size larger. Most of us seem to go a full size up. Your feet will swell and splay as you walk, a wider shoe than normal is useful for many.
Yes there are guides on here for that as well, any half decent hiking shop should be able to assist you, simply tell them you're walking the Camino.

Don't hesitate to post your packing list on here, many do and somebody will chip in to assist.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I am searching for a new trail shoe this year. I have walked the Frances for two years in Hoka Speed Goat 5s. The toe box is too narrow for my foot, and I get blisters on my pinky toes. My shoe...
Hi all ... slow Sunday .. rambling idle thoughts .. Camino - is there anything you would want, or wanted, that doesn't seem to have been invented yet? Or you couldn't find one? I can think of ...
Hi everyone, I'm planing to do the Camino from October 31st - November 10th. Here's my packing list that I have put together. Backpack 36 - 40 Liter with Cover Trail Shoes (2 pairs) was...
Hi, I’m considering getting the Hoka Anacapa Breeze Mid for my Camino which will start on 10/31 from Porto to Santiago. Does anyone have experience with this particular model on long walks ? I’m...
There is a lot of good package lists on the web. However, it seems that almost all are made for a Summer Camino with high temperatures and sunshine in mind. My question is. If I start by crossing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.