• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orisson

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
You absolutely do need a reservation, and hopefully it's not already fully booked, as the first week of September is one of the most popular times to start from SJPdP.

If you can't get a reservation at Orisson you can try Borda which is about 1 km up the road from Orisson.

If they are both full, and you want to split the Pyrenees stage you can book two nights in SJPdP use the Mountain Shuttle from Express Bourricot.

1000031332.png

I also recommend that you book your accommodations up to or through Pamplona.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You absolutely do need a reservation, and hopefully it's not already fully booked, as the first week of September is one of the most popular times to start from SJPdP.

If you can't get a reservation at Orisson you can try Borda which is about 1 km up the road from Orisson.

If they are both full, and you want to split the Pyrenees stage you can book two nights in SJPdP use the Mountain Shuttle from Express Bourricot.

View attachment 174641

I am booked all the way to Pamplona. The only missing piece is Orisson.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You could also consider taking the variant to Valcarlos if the options mentioned above do not work out for you. I found it to be lovely with a lot of variety of terrain and there is a stop along the way to get a snack and rest. Also, the dinner at a restaurant in town was very good.

You could also consider taking the variant to Valcarlos if the options mentioned above do not work out for you. I found it to be lovely with a lot of variety of terrain and there is a stop along the way to get a snack and rest. Also, the dinner at a restaurant in town was very good.
Looking at doing just that but reviews for the municipal at valcarlos seem bad, it's run down and dirty. Did you find this, and how long ago were you there? Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Looking at doing just that but reviews for the municipal at valcarlos seem bad, it's run down and dirty. Did you find this, and how long ago were you there? Thanks
I thought the muni was very nice and it had a clean, very large bathroom with 2 or 3 private showers. However I stayed in 2015 and again in 2017, so have no idea how well it is being kept up at this time. I thought there was also another place to stay in Valcarlos. You could check Gronze to verify...
I see @trecile has already looked it up.👍

Valcarlos. Run down and dirty. Run down and dirty? What’s that got to do with anything? I got the impression you were looking for a bed for the night. The Albergue has comfortable beds, adequate hygiene facilities, and, last time I was there ( autumn 2023) a kettle and a microwave cooker thing. If it’s not as clean as it could be that’ll be because last night’s bunch of peregrinos thought it was perfectly acceptable to leave it in that state.

If you get to a municipal/parroquial albergue and it needs cleaning: clean it. There’s always a brush and a mop and bucket to be found and, if not, just ask the Hospi how you can help.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

View attachment 174641

By the way.. that is a brilliant back up plan if things dont go exactly to plan. 😊

Wonder if there is a cancelation waiting list?

No idea. But if you really want to walk the Napoleon route, I would try Borda, or the place in Honto suggested by @mspath. Hanging on in the hope that a space opens up seems risky, and maybe leads to you having to book a ride back to SJPP, and back again the next morning.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I absolutely would not wait in hopes that there's a cancelation
This is practically stage 1 for 90% of folks who start CF and options are somewhat limited
Shirt of you wanting to go straight to Roncesvalles on that Day 1 or risking sleeping outside in Pyrenees (don't know if it's even legal but matters not as I just shudder at the thought) you better secure some accommodation
To sum up:
》○ if insisting going Napoleon Pass
》》• Honto
》》• Orisson
》》• Borda
》》• Express Bouricott back to SJPdP
》○ else go Valcarlos

Good luck and Buen Camino

Auberge Borda is also fully booked for the whole month of September.
At the moment it is still possible to make reservations in Roncesvalles www.alberguederoncesvalles.com.

The first two weeks of September are the busiest weeks of the year, with approx. 400 pilgrims starting in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port every day. In Roncesvalles in that period we have full house every day (245 beds occupied) and have to send away - much to our regret - some 100 exhausted pilgrims every day by taxi, sometimes to Pamplona as everything in between is full .... So be prepared and make reservations for Roncesvalles, Zubiri/Larasoaña and Pamplona.

As for Orisson: you can book the mountain shuttle at www.expressbourricot.com. They can pick you up at Virgen d'Orisson at 14.40, bring you back to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port (so make a reservation also for that night!) and bring you back to Virgen d'Orisson the following morning at 8.30 and from there you can continue to Roncesvalles.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Its day of and depending on when you've started from SJPDP you could be waiting around a while. When I booked Orisson with my daughter and friend, my friend canceled after the booking was made and and Orisson does not do refunds. When I got to Orisson after a late start in SJPDP, I let them know about my not needing the 3rd bed and they already had someone waiting and hoping for a cancellation. So I lucked out and didn't loose any money and some lucky pilgrim got a bed.

You should check with the mountain shuttle on whether or not you need reservations. If not, then wait till that last shuttle and take it if you haven't heard about any cancelations.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think Borda is better than Orisson - I heard glowing reviews about it. At Orisson the people working were not super friendly when I passed through - Borda is a small intimate albergue and not too much further than Orisson.

May be too late. Try Auberge Borda which is only about a km or two farther. It books quickly also. As suggested also, taxi back to SJPP.

I think Borda is better than Orisson - I heard glowing reviews about it. At Orisson the people working were not super friendly when I passed through - Borda is a small intimate albergue and not too much further than Orisson.
Unfortunately, Borda is also fully booked.
Auberge Borda is also fully booked for the whole month of September.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
In that period I would not relay on a waitinglist. It is peakseason, 400 pilgrims per day are looking for a bed and there are not much alternatives in the 'bottleneck' between SJPdP and Pamplona. I would make reservations in advance to be sure of a bed!

Msr. Jaques is OK, Mme Carole has her moments but spending pretty much a whole day there and looking at the scope of the whole operation I could see how one can get a tad 'snippy'. Too many different people pass by some with absolutely no comprehension of 'what's going on ' but (as also has been mentioned numerous times on numerous threads) - demands they are a-plenty.

In that period I would not relay on a waitinglist. It is peakseason, 400 pilgrims per day are looking for a bed and there are not much alternatives in the 'bottleneck' between SJPdP and Pamplona. I would make reservations in advance to be sure of a bed!
I believe OP already stated tgat other accomodations are secured through Pamplona so the only issue remains is Dat 1 Stage.
Considering that both Borda and Orisson are full I would again strongly urge OP to
Secure accomodations in SJPdP AND make appropriate/applicable reservations with Express Bouricott or
Forget Napoleon Pass ang walk via Valcarlos. Considering the popular time of the year I wouldn't tarry too much to secure an accommodation that way either.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So, many contributors haver provided all the good information that is needed to answer your question. However, none have advised that this information is already residing somewhere in the Forum, actually in many places, as it is a popular question.

To find this information, at the top of this page. you will find a long, horizontal window with a Search Button on the left. Plug in your question, click on the button and a list of potential answers will be provided.

Hope this helps. 😎 Buen Camino!

I booked another night in SJPDP.. I will use the transportation service to take me back to my hotel and then back Orisson the next day to finish the hike. Not my first choice but seems like the smart choice.
Make sure to book with Express Bourricot in advance.
It wouldn't be my first choice either, but I that's what I did last year when I walked with a group of newbies who didn't want to sleep in dorms and wanted to split the stage. There was the advantage of splitting the route more evenly than if you stop at Orisson or Borda, so your walk the next day is a little shorter. You should be able to time it to have a relaxing lunch at Orisson and enjoy the view from their terrace before continuing on to the Virgin, which is about 4 km past Orisson.

I took this screenshot from mapy.cz which tends to overestimate walking time in my experience.

Orisson to the Virgin statue mapy.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Make sure to book with Express Bourricot in advance.
It wouldn't be my first choice either, but I that's what I did last year when I walked with a group of newbies who didn't want to sleep in dorms and wanted to split the stage. There was the advantage of splitting the route more evenly than if you stop at Orisson or Borda, so your walk the next day is a little shorter. You should be able to time it to have a relaxing lunch at Orisson and enjoy the view from their terrace before continuing on to the Virgin, which is about 4 km past Orisson.

I took this screenshot from mapy.cz which tends to overestimate walking time in my experience.

View attachment 174716
is there a link to Express Bourricot ?

Borda is absolutely wonderful!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

View attachment 174641

@trecile - we are leaving Sep 7 from SJPP. We booked Borda and Roncesvalles a few months ago and were hoping not to book anything else in advance, but now I'm wondering whether that is unwise based on comments from you and others. We are slow walkers and might not walk from Roncesvalles to Zubiri in a day. We might do something like Bizkaretta or Lintzoain, then Larrasoana, then Pamplona - but were hoping to decide based on how we feel at the time. Do you think we need to book in advance if staying off-stage? (We are flexible on the type of accommodation - we'll likely stay in municipal albergues when the locations correspond with our stopping points and will go with what we can find otherwise.)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@trecile - we are leaving Sep 7 from SJPP. We booked Borda and Roncesvalles a few months ago and were hoping not to book anything else in advance, but now I'm wondering whether that is unwise based on comments from you and others. We are slow walkers and might not walk from Roncesvalles to Zubiri in a day. We might do something like Bizkaretta or Lintzoain, then Larrasoana, then Pamplona - but were hoping to decide based on how we feel at the time. Do you think we need to book in advance if staying off-stage? (We are flexible on the type of accommodation - we'll likely stay in municipal albergues when the locations correspond with our stopping points and will go with what we can find otherwise.)
I started booking in March 23 for my first week on the Camino starting on 1 September. This forum was a wonderful source of information. I planned a slow week in order to find my pace and gradually settle in to walking daily. Borda and Orisson were full so I booked accommodation at Honto to take five kilometres off the first day. Second night was at Roncevalles, then Lintzoain, Larrasoana, Zabaldika before Pamplona. I am a slow walker. I enjoyed taking in the environment and meeting the variety of people walking the Way. I think this pace also contributed to me never getting blisters.

When I walked the Frances in mid-April 2017, I had booked lodging from SJPdP through Pamplona. We stopped in Zubiri to take a look around and saw a huge bus and the driver was filling up the hold underneath with the backpacks of all the pilgrims who were being taken to Pamplona as "no room at the inn". Behind the muni albergue was a gym with mats on the floor filled with pilgrims.
When we left Pamplona 2 days later we walked out of the city alongside a man who literally had slept out on a park bench in Pamplona as he had found nowhere to stay indoors.

I walked from SJPDP on 1st September 2016. There were way more pilgrims than beds - I'm sure its only gotten busier. At 10pm, pilgrims were still arriving at Roncesvalles, and being taxied to other places for the night.
I always got a bed, but I walked fast, and I wasn't fussy.

Take the scenario of people being taxied from Roncesvalles - they are taking up beds in other villages and towns, so you're not just competing with people walking the same stages as yourself.

Later on pilgrims do spread out more, and you can wing it more easily, but if you know you walk slowly, booking is sensible for the first 4 or 5 days.

Back to OP and his issue - roughly 3-4 months ago someone was asking the same question (as @MichelleElynHogan said its a popular one). It eventually went the same way (i.e book Express Bourricot and go back to SJPdP) and IIRC it was @t2andreo that suggested pushing all the way to Chrix Thibault on that 1st day. Taking it real slow (and nobody said one cannot still stop for lunch at Orisson - just be mindful of the schedule and do accordingly) you;ll attain the goal but then tomorrow morning its quite a short skip and hop to Roncesvalles instead of hard climb (somewhat again)
Something to consider

Back to OP and his issue - roughly 3-4 months ago someone was asking the same question (as @MichelleElynHogan said its a popular one). It eventually went the same way (i.e book Express Bourricot and go back to SJPdP) and IIRC it was @t2andreo that suggested pushing all the way to Chrix Thibault on that 1st day. Taking it real slow (and nobody said one cannot still stop for lunch at Orisson - just be mindful of the schedule and do accordingly) you;ll attain the goal but then tomorrow morning its quite a short skip and hop to Roncesvalles instead of hard climb (somewhat again)
Something to consider
I agree. I would recommend getting phone/WhatsApp information from Express Bourricot so that you can let them know if you want to continue on to Croix Thibault after you reach the Virgin.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Msr. Jaques is OK, Mme Carole has her moments but spending pretty much a whole day there and looking at the scope of the whole operation I could see how one can get a tad 'snippy'. Too many different people pass by some with absolutely no comprehension of 'what's going on ' but (as also has been mentioned numerous times on numerous threads) - demands they are a-plenty.

I believe OP already stated tgat other accomodations are secured through Pamplona so the only issue remains is Dat 1 Stage.
Considering that both Borda and Orisson are full I would again strongly urge OP to
Secure accomodations in SJPdP AND make appropriate/applicable reservations with Express Bouricott or
Forget Napoleon Pass ang walk via Valcarlos. Considering the popular time of the year I wouldn't tarry too much to secure an accommodation that way either.
I expect that it is hard going working at Orisson - you have all these newbie pilgrims who have not learned the ropes yet and maybe having greater expectations than is realistic- so a lot for the Albergue at Orisson to manage.

Not at all. Valcarlos has nice services.
I stayed in the Val Carlos municipal in February this year, just two of us were there and it was clean and well equipped. Our problem was there was nowhere open for a meal and the shop was closed due to some problem. Thankfully we had some rations with us and the kitchen had a microwave. The walk from SJPP to Val Carlos and then to Roncevalles is beautiful even in the atrocious weather we had.

I expect that it is hard going working at Orisson - you have all these newbie pilgrims who have not learned the ropes yet and maybe having greater expectations than is realistic- so a lot for the Albergue at Orisson to manage.
I'll venture to suggest that it's hard going working in ANY albergue as I'm sure that being a newbie or not may have nothing to do with what kind of person the "pilgrim" is.
And if that person is a 🍑🤕 or 🐴🍑... well...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
September on the Frances in the stretch up to (but not necessarily including) Pamplona? There’s no such thing as ‘off stage’. Get it booked, it’ll be mental.
Thanks, I've booked through Pamplona now. Albergue San Nicolas in Larrosoana showed as full on booking.com and the other option reservable online was a lot more. However, I contacted Albergue San Nicolas by email and they still had spaces. I didn't realize that some hostels may not put their full inventory on booking.com. I will keep that in mind when checking availability in the future.

We stayed at Lintzoain last year in Posada el Camino and that was fabulous. Single beds, delicious communal dinner and breakfast and wonderful hosts. After Zubiri, we stayed at Zabaldika, again with delicious dinner and breakfast, and a fantastic experience. The church there is very old and special and the nuns were sweet.
It is nice to walk shorter distances at the beginning and stay in towns that are different to where everyone else is going.

Valcarlos. Run down and dirty. Run down and dirty? What’s that got to do with anything? I got the impression you were looking for a bed for the night. The Albergue has comfortable beds, adequate hygiene facilities, and, last time I was there ( autumn 2023) a kettle and a microwave cooker thing. If it’s not as clean as it could be that’ll be because last night’s bunch of peregrinos thought it was perfectly acceptable to leave it in that state.

If you get to a municipal/parroquial albergue and it needs cleaning: clean it. There’s always a brush and a mop and bucket to be found and, if not, just ask the Hospi how you can help.
Thank you tincatinker, was wondering how bad down the scale it was. Yes a bit of upkeep isn't a problem for me, but a big swamp toilet and showers that don't work is

was wondering how bad down the scale it was. es a bit of upkeep isn't a problem for me, but a big swamp toilet and showers that don't work is
There are very very few, if any, albergues that are down that far in the scale! Your words "a bit of upkeep" is appropriate description of what is sometimes lacking.

Albergues are almost universally safe and at least reasonably clean, and excellent value. If you want a 5-star resort and fawning attention, you will be unhappy, but if you want a cheap OK place to sleep with an interesting collection of fellow pilgrims, you will be more than thrilled.

Looking at recent reviews on Gronze it seems that the current hospitalero might not ever gain their “enthusiast” badge. “A bit care worn”, “worn out”, “tired”…. I thought that maybe they were reviewing me 😉. Apparently the Hospi rarely appears before 9:00pm so it’s down to pilgrims to sort themselves in and out.

Life’s full of challenges innit 🤪

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I'm currently on the Ingles, in Neda, & thought I would post with the state of play. 1stly , if your flying into A Coruna, & starting at Ferrol, it's an easy transfer. I got a bus from the...
So I was able to book our train from Santiago back to Madria this morning through Renfe! (Yay!) My question is once I finished and printed out the tickets I noticed that on one of the tickets it...
I’m trying to find the easiest way to get to Bayonne via train from Charles de Gaul airport. I arrive in Paris at 7:30 AM. October 21. Need to be at SJDP by evening. Would you recommend I get...
Hi, for several years I have posted about buying two tickets on renfe and then canceling the one ticket I did not need in time to get a refund (used to be an hour before departure). This was all...
My husband and I will begin our first Camino in three weeks. To accommodate the time we have available, we would like to start in Rates. We are thinking we could take the train from Porto to Povoa...
Hello! After finishing the camino by bicycle and riding to Finisterre, is it possible to return by bus (with my bike)? Thank you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back