• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Organizing shared expenses with friends

3ball

Time of past OR future Camino
'24
Two friends and I will be doing the CF together beginning in March. Some expenses might be shared (private lodging perhaps) and some will be individual. To avoid having to pay 3 times at the table or other places, it would be nice to have a simple system of paying and splitting later.

Does anyone have suggestions? TIA.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When I travel with a friend, and we plan to share expenses, one of us takes responsibility for one expense (for example, housing), while the other takes on another expense (such as food). At the end of the trip, we compare totals and see if one of us needs to send the other money.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 3skinnybikers use a kitty system, we all pay in to the kitty but one person holds the kitty / money. Shared costs come out of the kitty and the kitty-holder keeps the accounts in a notebook, it has never failed....yet. Two of us are surveyors / mathematicians but we usually let our artistic mate hold the kitty so he can be creative haha. There are of course apps that will do the arithmetic for you but that's no fun.

This is what I wrote in another thread when walking with a friend last month.

" We decided beforehand to split every bill in two (except of course personal stuff bought in supermarket ). Sometimes she would have two wines and I only one but another time I would have a dessert and she would not .
When walking with someone else than your lifepartner I think the issue of spending money is important to get straight before you start walking."

I was the bank and every night I counted the bills / tickets and she would pay me with a bankapp ( QR code ).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yep. It’s called a whip, ( as in whip round) or a common purse, and there’s probably a few more terms. You all agree to put a fixed amount into the “hat” and spend from the hat rather than your pockets.
Its an excellent method of provoking dissent amongst groups of erstwhile friends as one drinks nine beers while everyone else in the whip sips double-filtered mountain water at twice the price of a beer.

You’ll encounter “No hay cuenta compartida”. Don’t fight it

What I do. It works very well for two, but I'm not sure how well it works with bigger numbers.
Have done this with as many as 6. It works fine, so long as everyone eats and drinks at about the same level. One person with more liberal taste in a group of frugal folk would be hard to balance. Maybe having a group agreement ahead of time if that's the case.

I use an app called “cost split” which is free and easy to set up. It allows you to input costs in any currency (but you have to provide the exchange rate) and to split costs unevenly (eg there are 3 of you traveling but one night only two people decide to go out for dinner) and at the end tabulates it all and tells you who needs to be who how much.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Two friends and I will be doing the CF together beginning in March. Some expenses might be shared (private lodging perhaps) and some will be individual. To avoid having to pay 3 times at the table or other places, it would be nice to have a simple system of paying and splitting later.

There’s is app called ‘splitwise’ which is great for this kind of thing. Someone’s picks up the bill and then maybe someone else, and it keeps a balance of ‘who owes who’ and all that.

Being British I prefer the old fashioned ‘whip’ so we can hurl ‘whip abuse’ at anyone spending more than their fair share, but I went to Seville last year with some posh people (group of 7) who are far more ‘mature’ and this worked a treat! No one uses cash anymore amongst the group anyway so it helps on that aspect too.

Last edited:
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Two friends and I will be doing the CF together beginning in March.

The first thought I had was to wonder whether all three of you are from the same place. I ask because of what I see as extreme differences between Spaniards and people from the US when it comes to “cost sharing.” I have never met a Spaniard who wanted to do anything other than divide the total bill by the number of people. Though I know a few people from the US who approach it that way, the vast majority want to do a specific breakout on a per person basis. Who had the coffee? Who had the extra side? Who had the ice cream? Many restaurants in the US have solved the incredible headaches this causes for the server by simply issuing what we call “separate checks” for each person.

When walking on a camino with three Spaniards, me, and one other from the US, the Spanish practice was that we’d rotate through the coffee breaks, with everyone taking a turn. For those used to a specific breakdown, this was annoying, because on some breaks people had food, on others they didn’t, etc. etc. The total amounts at stake were probably not that much greater than the amount you spend on ATM withdrawals if you don’t obsess about which machines charge greater fees, but for those raised on a system of “cada uno mata lo suyo” it is hard to adjust.

So, I would just say that whatever the system, it should be clear up front so that people will not feel uncomfortable or shortchanged.

I think it all depends on the relationship you have with your friends - and probably, reading some threads, the cultural background. I did the Camino a lot, but I did travel with friends many times to other places. Most of the times, we just split the check into the number of people. For cash expenses, one of us collects the money and pays for those. If anyone has a really significant deviation in the expense - like ordered the most expensive dish plus dessert - then they usually leave the tip to balance it. Not required, but it is what most of us volunteer to do.
Money always seems like a sensitive topic, so definitively agree with those replying that it is best to agree upfront how the three of you feel comfortable managing.

I think it all depends on the relationship you have with your friends - and probably, reading some threads, the cultural background. I did the Camino a lot, but I did travel with friends many times to other places. Most of the times, we just split the check into the number of people. For cash expenses, one of us collects the money and pays for those. If anyone has a really significant deviation in the expense - like ordered the most expensive dish plus dessert - then they usually leave the tip to balance it. Not required, but it is what most of us volunteer to do.
Money always seems like a sensitive topic, so definitively agree with those replying that it is best to agree upfront how the three of you feel comfortable managing.
I guess it just depends on whether you want an app or an old school way. Obv there are a load of manual ways but probably worth trying an app!

It can also help folks who are collecting points or miles and are keen to pay the bills!

Some interesting approaches.
And helps to explain some 'pained' expressions from my fellow Pilgrims at times :)

I'm not sure if it's family, cultural or whatever, but our normal approach is to divide the bill by the number of people. And if someone had something particularly expensive, they would normally chip in extra.

Another approach I have often seen is that when ordering a meal, each person does a rough tally in their head. And then chips in an appropriate amount when the bill comes. Usually rounding up to ensure the one paying is not left short.

That works OK for one-off events like a meal, but I can see how longer term, like a whole Camino, might require a bit more of a 'process' to ensure fairness. The 'Whip' or 'Kitty' methods sounds best to me, unless of course as already pointed out, some people have expensive tastes and others don't.

When walking with others for a week or two, we have often just taken turns in settling meal and accomodation costs, with someone informally keeping a tally.

There is no system incapable of causing issues. It really depends how evenly-matched you are in terms of consumption. The accommodations pretty straightforward, it’s food and drink which differs.

A pencil and paper will do the same job as an app.
Well I think it depends on number of people, magnitude of spend, whether anyone is carrying cash, and the opportunity for some folks to racks up mile and points. Certainly my style is for a whip round and/or just an equal split of bill irrespective of consumption, but certainly the splitwise app was very helpful on the trip I mentioned, as there were quite a lot of lunches, dinners, trips, etc. Just a headache when you get the bill you owe a few a days after the trip!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Well I think it depends on number of people, magnitude of spend, whether anyone is carrying cash, and the opportunity for some folks to racks up mile and points. Certainly my style is for a whip round and/or just an equal split of bill irrespective of consumption, but certainly the splitwise app was very helpful on the trip I mentioned, as there were quite a lot of lunches, dinners, trips, etc. Just a headache when you get the bill you owe a few a days after the trip!
Yes, I agree - although myself and friends are sufficiently well-funded that the tip would exceed any margin of error, the degree to which people (ok: Middle-aged men) can fall out over pennies is unbelievable.

On the other hand - having enjoyed a great evening in the company of strangers many years ago on the CF, I just paid the table’s bill and took myself off to bed. Several of my unwitting ‘guests’ tracked me down over the next few days and insisted on paying their share.

I walk alone now, it makes the mathematics easier.

Students of Spanish culture may have noticed the variegated family groups that do that table full of Jamon, shrimp, pulpo, the odd leg of lamb, some salad and a bunch of postres there’ll probably have been a jarra or two. The Brandy and the Aguadiente come out amongst the wreckage. Traditionally the oldest man at the table picks up the tab. Works well in the society of the Dons. A bit harsh on the less well endowed.

When, sometimes, the bill lands I’ll rather cover it than watch my children and their mates wriggle and writhe over who ate what and with which spoon. And, frankly, if you’re travelling with people who can’t work it all out in their heads, nor understand the basics of payback and share… I do not see nor understand how an (expletive deleted) app is going to help

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not really the same, but in January I took 11 university students on the Camino as a part of a class. I set a budget and everyone knew they had to eat under that budget. I also picked all the lodging. Each student paid the estimated amount in advance and I paid all the bills. If they wanted something extra, they had spending money.

Set a budget if you are splitting 3 ways. One person is the banker.

I am just looking to escape the indecision and hassle. One system accepted by all 3 in advance will be a huge improvement over the alternatives of discussion or suspicions of unfairness.

It seems like if we roughly agree to all drink either wine or beer, and order a round each time, and agree to be within 30 percent (or so) on food we should be good enough.

Do many groups seek to run separate checks?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not really a recognised concept in Spain.

I can’t figure out where you’re from, but if it’s a culture where the staff are expected to be subservient, obsequious and rely on tips; Spain’s not like that. You’ll get one bill.

Yes, often. Hence the frequent signs posted behind the jump “No hay cuenta compartida”

If you’re eating the menu del dia, or, the gods forbid, the menu Peregrino, then just put your €10/12/15 on the table and be gone.

If you’re messing about on the Calle Laurel in Logrono with your lovely new Camino family just take the hit and hope that another family member will take the next one

There is no system incapable of causing issues. It really depends how evenly-matched you are in terms of consumption. The accommodations pretty straightforward, it’s food and drink which differs.

A pencil and paper will do the same job as an app.
So true! What @peregrina2000 and I did was to often pay our own bills, but keep a running tab on paper of those expenses that we shared. We would balance that out by knowing who was ahead in the tally, and then the other person would pay the next shared bill. Every once in a while, we'd pay out.

I don't recall that "separate checks" was viewed as totally foreign. It was accepted, but I'm talking about 2 demure old ladies with simple orders - not a table full of raucous individuals arguing about who ordered what.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So true! What @peregrina2000 and I did was to often pay our own bills, but keep a running tab on paper of those expenses that we shared. We would balance that out by knowing who was ahead in the tally, and then the other person would pay the next shared bill. Every once in a while, we'd pay out.

I don't recall that "separate checks" was viewed as totally foreign. It was accepted, but I'm talking about 2 demure old ladies with simple orders - not a table full of raucous individuals arguing about who ordered what.
Demure? 😂

Old? 😂😂😂. It’s only a number.

We had pre-booked our accommodation, so in advance it didn’t take long to figure out the split between 3 of us so that we all payed close to the same Some accommodation was billed in advance, we had done a spreadsheet of who was to cover the bill for hotel/ auberge, but just one person paid each night. Meals were pretty easy, mostly we looked at the bill and roughly figured out who owed what and put in our cash. Coffee, grocery store purchases were just cash individually. On occasion we took turns covering a meal with a credit card, and didn’t worry if one of the meals was a few euro more.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I enjoy threads that have a themed topic of pictures, where members can join in with their personal favorites. @David Tallan is in Salamanca and in looking through my own photos of its cathedral...
Just a shout out to all the wonderful people currently out on the trail. This is not easy and you are out here doing it with grace, humor, and compassion! Currently dealing with lots of rain and...
No, not me, but Jamie O'Connell, 'What is a pilgrimage if you are not religious?' in today's Irish Times: 'What I grew to enjoy was the messages (graffiti) that had been left by others along the...
Hi, I did the French Camino from August 25th to September 17th, starting in Saint Jean Pied-de-Port. An amazing experience that I can't get over from :-). Met so many people that gave me joy...
Hello, I’ll be in Leon tomorrow and need to know what’s the best way to get a stomach bug treated. I’m an American btw. Thanks!

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back