Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Options if Orisson is fully booked?

Mick0

Time of past OR future Camino
2 weeks time Sept 24
I’m starting two weeks from today on my first Camino. I’ll be arriving at St Jean at about 3:30pm. I’d like to get a start on to Orisson but looks like the accommodation is booked out. Any suggestions?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m starting in two weeks and would ideally like to split the stage and stay in Orisdon but accommodation is booked out. Any suggestions?
Option One: Book two nights in SJPP. On day one, walk to Orisson or past it to a point where one of the taxi services will pick up, and return to SJPP. Day two - return by taxi and continue to Roncesvalles.

Option Two: Walk to Valcarlos, stay there, and then walk to Roncesvalles.

Option Three: Walk to Roncesvalles on one or other route in one day.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I’m starting two weeks from today on my first Camino. I’ll be arriving at St Jean at about 3:30pm. I’d like to get a start on to Orisson but looks like the accommodation is booked out. Any suggestions?
There are plenty of albergues in town to choose from. This time of year numbers have dropped significantly so no shortage of beds then start in the morning. Keith

I think that @Mick0 meant to say that the Orisson gîte is fully booked in two weeks from now. September is known as one of the most popular months for pilgrims starting from SJPP. The other one is May.

The current status of the Orisson booking calendar confirms it: They currently have availabilities only during the last week of September, from the 26th to the 29th.

Orisson.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I booked and stayed in Orrison 2012. I have met so many who were happy to have stayed there. Never met any one who regretted staying in Orisson. Nowadays I start in Valenca Portugal and take it easy to Santiago .And Thank God that at 80 I am still able to do it.

I've always walked via Valcarlos. A gentle introduction to another Camino in a quiet Basque town with a clean and comfy Albergue a couple of good restaurants and a comfortable second days walk to Burguete or Espinal avoiding the sweaty throngs at Roncesvalles ;)

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I've always wondered why don't they do pick-up at croix thibault as well, if they do drop-off there. or they do? does anyone know?
As @trecile said, I think that they do pick up there but they tend to recommend picking up at Vierge Orrison although I have never bothered to ask why.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think that Vierge Orisson is basically halfway between SJPdP and Roncesvalles, so it splits the stage more evenly.
But only if you are stopping in Roncesvalles. (I think that's also what they say on their page.) it always seemed weird to me because, for me, a more logical point for breaking up the stage would be at croix thibault at the end of asphalt. Or at least at the snack van.

But only if you are stopping in Roncesvalles. (I think that's also what they say on their page.) it always seemed weird to me because, for me, a more logical point for breaking up the stage would be at croix thibault at the end of asphalt. Or at least at the snack van.
You're right. If you want to continue on to Burguete or Espinal, then Croix Thibault makes a lot more sense.

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Anyone struggling to find a place in Los arcos 6 km beyond is albergue sansol oasis.I can highly recommend excellent host and food
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
Hi, We walked the Camino de Santiago for the first time in May & June this year, and absolutely loved it. We plan on walking the first week again in October (with a view to going back later next...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back