Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One year ago I was walking from Azofra to Grañón

Sssnek

Camino Frances 2023
Time of past OR future Camino
9/20/23 to 10/28/23
I feel like the more time that passes, the further I am from my Camino, which is kind of sad. I did this really hard and meaningful thing, but I’m worried that I’m forgetting how it made me feel, and how proud I was of myself.

How do you all keep the Camino magic alive in your daily lives? I want to remember I am capable and how connected I am to every other human I meet (two things I found very powerful on my Camino).

Also, for fun here is a photo I took a year ago because I thought it was an accurate depiction of how I felt walking in the Spanish sun:

IMG_3434.jpeg

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@Sssnek, every piece of clothing I consider, I think about the Camino and whether it would meet the test. I read lots of books about the Camino and other people's journeys. I follow the forum. I read the Spanish newspaper from Galicia online, scanning for Camino related stories. I volunteer at home to remind myself how much joy I get from volunteering on the Camino. I think about how I would adapt recipes for pilgrims with different food preferences and restrictions. There may also be an American Pilgrims chapter near you so you can meet with other veteran and novice pilgrims. I look at routes and plan for possibilities for the future. Not a day goes by that I don't think about the Camino and how it has influenced me. It gets me off the couch and out for a walk. It stops me from buying "stuff" that I really don't need and it helps me let go of life's baggage that may be weighing me down. I know that every day, I just try to live as my best self. I get up every day and face the world as if I am putting on my pack and following the yellow arrows.

Help keep the Camino clean. Join us in 2025 for the Camino Cleanup Program & Retreat
Planning your next Camino, however far in advance that may be, is one thing that many find helpful. Getting involved in a pilgrim community, either local or online (like this) or both, is another. Some like to read Camino-related books or watch YouTube videos. Some like to go to Spanish restaurants or cook Spanish food. Some acquire a walking habit and walk locally.

There is also a very funny post that someone posted here about a dozen years ago that frequently makes the rounds listing a whole bunch of things that you can do to recapture the Camino feeling. I don't think I can find it on my phone while in the midst of entering this response, but I'm sure other regulars will know the post I am referring to and perhaps one can find it and post the link.

I feel like the more time that passes, the further I am from my Camino, which is kind of sad. I did this really hard and meaningful thing, but I’m worried that I’m forgetting how it made me feel, and how proud I was of myself.

How do you all keep the Camino magic alive in your daily lives? I want to remember I am capable and how connected I am to every other human I meet (two things I found very powerful on my Camino).

Also, for fun here is a photo I took a year ago because I thought it was an accurate depiction of how I felt walking in the Spanish sun:

View attachment 178383
I did my first Camino in 2008 and decided to make it an annual event. It was magical every time. I'm nearly 80 so I'm depositing enough memories in my memory bank to keep me going when I can't keep going.

If there is a Camino group near you find it and attend events where you will be with other pilgrims. I am fortunate to have a chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino in my city. If there isn’t one near you consider trying to organize a group, even an informal one

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
what else is meaningful to you? what would you find hard? what else would make you feel proud of yourself? - do that too - reply with generosity when someone speaks unkindly to you, do a strenuous walk near where you live, volunteer, work, care, give....

Hi, @Sssnek, it's been a while.

It's something I struggle with somewhat too. I spend (far too much) time on here, I walk every opportunity I get, and, like most of us, I plan my next camino. I've done my Hospitaleros training, but can't yet put it into practice ( money).
I also meet up roughly once a month with a small group to go for a 15 - 20km walk. A couple of the participants have also done at least one Camino. It all helps.

You've listed yourself as coming from North Carolina, I've never been there but it's supposed to be a beautiful state! Not only have you got some wonderful local trails, you've got the MST and AT running through it. I realise NC is pretty large, no idea if the trails are anywhere near you.

Whilst the hiker community is not the same as the camino community it's still a way of making some very powerful connections. And continuing to challenge yourself. Because of their (AT/MST) accessibility there are multiple possibilities to both day and section hike. And if you were close enough to become a trail angel - through hikers would absolutely love you!!

I know that hurricane Helene has devastated parts of the state, and they're currently requesting through hikers on the AT not to continue. They're going to need volunteers in due course though.....

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's about looking around locally to see what possibilities there are. Be warned though, I think that like alcoholism, caminoholism cannot be cured.

I'm a Caminoholic, it's been 5 months and 28 days since my last walk......

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Something puzzles me why do people fly to Pamplona then travel back to SJPP would Biarritz be more logical ? then train from Bayonne.
I stopped by El Peregrino Bazaar, Amancio Yagüez's iconic workplace in Castrojeriz's Plaza Mayor, last week. The shop was closed when I got there about ten minutes before 5pm. I sat down on a...
That's me finished, had blast and not to many blisters. Overall a fantastic experience, lovely Spain l thankyou
I lost a kindle in Orisson about 10 days ago. I emailed them and they found it! I volunteered to pay to have it mailed to me in the U.S. They replied” a special society” will contact you for its...
I'm looking at starting around March 10, 2025, and will leave from Saint Jean Pied de Port. I welcome any input from people that started that early. A couple of concerns included the weather the...
This morning I must have lost my wallet on the 8.15 h bus from León to Virgen del camino. Luckily, it only contains money, not cards. Would anybody know which number I could call to hear whether...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.