• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 11.0

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
May 2023 - A Camino Crossroads

After completing the Via Podiensis, I traveled to Lourdes where I encountered this little information center and spent some time chatting with the two volunteers who were staffing the center that day. Both women had completed the trek to SJPP and they had a wonderful time looking over the stamps in my Credenciale. They recognized a few of the stamps from when they had completed their own pilgrimage, and fond memories resurfaced.

Lourdes.jpg Lourdes1.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
May 2023, St-Jean-Pied-de-Port

An early morning in SJPP with an empty Rue de la Citadelle. It's not too often that this street is so empty. I did not meet one pilgrim starting out on their Camino that morning. For my part, I was heading to meet my wife in Paris having just completed the Via Podiensis. I really enjoyed that trek and I hope to return someday.

Rue de la Citadelle.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
May 2023 - St-Jean-Pied-de-Port

An early morning view of Le Vieux Pont, sometimes known as Pont Notre Dame, and where one finds the Porte Notre Dame to enter the walled city ... or to leave it if you are starting out on the Camino Francés.

SJPP Vieux Pont.jpg

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
April 28, 2024 Camino Sanabres
The village of Cea, after Ourense, is know for its many bakeries, all of which produce Pan de Cea, the only bread in Galicia protected and monitored for quality.
Coming from Canada, where we seem to make everything from wood, I was awed by these stone balconies. There is an amazing amount of granite in Galicia. In northern Portugal too.

0A01BD7E-5BB1-45E2-9074-D74A582C97E8.jpeg

April 28, 2024 Camino Sanabres
The village of Cea, after Ourense, is know for its many bakeries, all of which produce Pan de Cea, the only bread in Galicia protected and monitored for quality.
Coming from Canada, where we seem to make everything from wood, I was awed by these stone balconies. There is an amazing amount of granite in Galicia. In northern Portugal too.

View attachment 175688
You mentioned the use of wood in Canada rather than stone - yesterday my sister told me that a lot of significant history has been lost in Jasper as a result of the fires. She is about 6 and a half hours drive, west of Jasper, but of course it hurts everyone in the country...

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Frances
Santo Domingo de la Calzada
Cofradia del Santo

photo taken February 9, 2007

Cofradia  albergue.JPG

Set within the attic of their historic building this albergue in 2007 offered 1 hot plate/kettle,1 shower/toilet, rather erratic winter heat and 20 single beds; simple but sufficient, all felt cosy.

May 2023, Moissac

In the spring of 2022 I walked the Camino Portugués with my oldest granddaughter. Then in 2023 I found out how much it still meant to her. I had traveled to Moissac to complete the second half of the Via Podiensis and posted the photo of my first gÎte accommodation (below) in my blog. Her mom (my daughter) contacted me to tell me that when my granddaughter saw the photo tears were streaming down her face! My daughter, not realizing what had made her cry, asked what was the matter, to which my granddaughter replied "I just saw Da's picture of his gÎte. I miss the Camino so much!!"

Moissac gite.jpg

You mentioned the use of wood in Canada rather than stone - yesterday my sister told me that a lot of significant history has been lost in Jasper as a result of the fires. She is about 6 and a half hours drive, west of Jasper, but of course it hurts everyone in the country...
Yes, I’m sure timber was used in all the historic structures in the townsite of Jasper, which was surrounded by magnificent forest. I am saddened by the loss of so much natural beauty, in Jasper and in many other areas of western Canada. The feeling has been termed “ecological grief”.

August 6, 2013. Camino Primitivo. View from Lugo's wall.
I always wonder what the story is here - how / why did this stone cottage remain?

View attachment 175737
Yet again, a tiny word. For many years, a small business held up a fancy development in a posh area in Dublin. Eventually... once more, it yielded.

Camino Frances
symbolic chickens/1

photos taken November 2, 2013

historic chicken coop.jpg

Chickens are THE symbol of Santo Domingo de la Calzada. This historic coop complete with live chickens (changed every two weeks!) is within the cathedral.

garden coop.jpg

Concurently within the Casa del Santo garden this contemporary aviary shelters the future church coop choir.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Camino Frances
west of Santo Domingo de la Calzada
east of Grañón
cross

photo taken November 3, 2012

to Granon.jpg

This cross marks the site of the Leyenda de los Valientes/Legend of the Brave where during the middle ages a large plot of fertile land was fought over by the towns of Santo Domingo de la Calzada and Grañón.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
near Camino Frances
east of Grañón

photo taken February 20, 2007

Rioja marker 2007.jpg

Depicting the route of the Camino de Santiago crossing Rioja this tile marker is located on the Camino Magdalena which branches off the CF to arrive at Grañón from the SE via the cemetery.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Camino Frances
Grañón
San Juan Bautista albergue

photo taken October 15, 2004

Granon, camino 1.jpg

My first visit at the parish refuge within the belfry of the church of San Juan Bautista, was special. The handsome common room had a fireplace and comfortable furnishing; one could really relax.

Last edited:
Camino Frances
Cofradia del Santo

photo taken February 9, 2007

View attachment 175699

Set within the attic of their historic building this albergue in 2007 offered 1 hot plate/kettle,1 shower/toilet, rather erratic winter heat and 20 single beds; simple but sufficient, all felt cosy.

Memories.

Mom and I slept there August 2001.

I was again there in 2014.

Thanks for posting pic.

Buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Camino Frances
Grañón
San Juan Bautista albergue

photo taken November 3, 2014

Grañón 2014.jpg

Eating dinner at Granon all shared ideas and thanks for the joy of being on the camino. Later as the local priest and a pilgrim sang in praise of the Virgin Mary their duet concluded a memorable evening of fellowship and caritas ...May it always be so.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Camino Frances
Tosantos
Ermita de La Virgen de La Peña

photo taken October 27, 2010

Tosantos.jpg

This remote hermitage is built into the limestone strata of a cliff. When I stayed at the Tosantos parish albergue all pilgrims were able to visit/enter here via a local guided tour.

Moissac, May 2023

This artwork decorated the room in the gite where I stayed. I was intrigued. I asked the owner "Who created these paintings?" He answered, "Aah ... these paintings were created by a world-famous artist ... well, famous in my world anyway. These were painted by my niece!"

Moissac gite Art.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Frances
Villafranca Montes de Oca
municipal albergue

photo taken October 17, 2004

Villafranca Montes de Oca.jpg

Returning to this dorm each camino always felt like coming home; it was simple, sufficient and filled with memories for in 2006 I had sheltered here when a whiteout developed into
a true blizzard.

Since autumn 2017 due to a local imbroglio this comfortable albergue has been closed.
...At least my fond memories remain.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Camino Frances
Montes de Oca forest

photo taken October 18, 2004

Monte de Oca 18.10.2004.JPG

Where a dirt road crossed the CF a tall
fellow asked me “would you like to rest and have a tea?” Glad to sit, I did. A passing couple joined us.

All then enjoyed the unexpected pleasure of ad hoc camino caritas consisting of a chair, a chat, and a cup of hot tea amidst the forest!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome to the 11th photo of the day thread!
Started during the height of Covid when we were all house-bound, these threads have taken on a life of their own, and a reliable daily source of joy for all of us who are home and thinking about the Camino.

So this is a place to share memories and short reflections, one photo per day, one day at a time. Some of us will not make it to Spain this year, so this is our every day Camino fix. If you have been along for the ride since 1.0, you may find you need to repeat your posts,, but that is totally fine! We will see them with new eyes.

For new contributors, please note:
One photo per day (from any camino)
Please attach the thumbnail size so that even those of us with slow connections can see them.

My photo today is from the Vasco in 2019, so called the 'Tunnel Route' because of this - a (possibly) Roman trick of turning a cave into a tunnel:
View attachment 161744
Two for the price of one. It´s quite a climb up to the tunnel and we reasonably expected to have it to yourselves. It was not to be. It was the day of a local romería so lots of locals had taken the short way up. But they were having fun. It would be a sad world if we persisted in resenting other people having fun.

DSC03328.JPGDSC03330.JPG

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino Frances
on route to San Juan de Ortega
sunrise

photo taken November 6, 2013

sunrise, 2013.jpg

Alone on my 9th CF as the November sun rose I felt that all was and would be good. ...Perhaps such secular transcendence sensed while walking is akin to what runners call "the zone". Neither easy, nor impossible it simply is; thus, thankfully I continued

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Camino Frances
Montes de Oca forest
nearing San Juan de Ortega

photo taken February 23, 2007

to San Juan de Ortega.JPG

During my 3rd camino on a cold overcast winter day walking on the CF as it emerged from the dense forest I could at last glimpse the distant San Juan de Ortega monastery.

Camino Frances
Montes de Oca forest
San Juan de Ortega monastery

photo taken October 28, 2010

San Juan de Ortega, 2010.jpg

San Juan de Ortega/ Saint John of the Nettles, a follower of Santo Domingo de la Calzada, was, like him, a 12th c. builder of roads, bridges and hospices for pilgrims. It is thought that San Juan began the construction of this monastery.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Camino Frances
albergue interior

photo taken October 18, 2004

2004 San Juan de Ortega.jpg

Snuggled in my sleeping bag on a cold
October night I was sincerely thankful for the steaming cup of his famous garlic soup which the affable priest, Don José María, had served us pilgrims after evening service.

In 2008
Don José María Alomso Marroquin
died.
He is buried in the monastery cloister.
....May he be at peace.

Last edited:
Camino Frances
Montes de Oca forest
capital

photo taken October 31, 2011

San Juan de Ortega,capital.jpg

0ne of the magnificent Romanesque capitals which top the lofty interior columns within the monastery church depicts a fight similar to that between Roland and Farragut.

Camino Frances
Agés
Casa Caracol, meal time

photo taken February 2, 2008

Casa Caracol, meal time.jpgl

The hospitalera prepared a delicious hot snack on the wood-burning kitchen stove; there was NO other heat.

Later in the frigid dorm wearing layered winter gear I pondered how important it is on the camino and in life to just relax and take it as it is, to let it be!

Last edited:
Camino Frances
south of Agés

photo taken November 01, 2011

Ages, south bridge.jpgl

At the south side of Iglesia de Santa Eulalia a farming path/dirt road began which would cross the rio Vena via this bridge.

south of Ages, 01.11.2011.jpg

The dirt road continued south to Zalduendo on route N 120 where an old camino path west to Burgos parallels the highway.

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back