• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oh to be young!

M2ME

Time of past OR future Camino
Vía de la Plata ‘23
Le Puy ‘25
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

I realise this is annoying for the residents but I am a little envious of their energy and enthusiasm. I was ready to stop walking by the time I arrived. 😄
Annoying ? Hmmmm. 🤔. I can’t get into your attachment ..
could you possibly pass it by a translate app to English and ‘paste’ it below Please ..
screen shot below is what I can see.

Attachments

• IMG_3502.png
    IMG_3502.png
    381.8 KB · Views: 24

Carreras, gritos y banderas: julio arranca de nuevo con la entrada descontrolada de peregrinos en Santiago​

Vecinos de Compostela, que inmortalizan la llegada de un numeroso grupo al Obradoiro, protestan en las redes: «Todo ten un límite»​

Llegada de peregrinos entre gritos y carreras: «Esto tiene que parar»

Copiado
@CompostelaResiste
02 jul 2024
. Actualizado a las 13:19 h.
Fue ayer, 1 de julio, día en el llegaron a Santiago 1.735 peregrinos, cuando la activa cuenta de Instagram Compostela Resiste, donde se recogen y publican muchos de los vídeos que denuncian comportamientos incívicos de los turistas en su llegada a Santiago, se hizo eco de una nueva grabación, protagonizada en este caso por un amplio grupo de jóvenes peregrinos que, al ver de cerca el Obradoiro, no dudaron en echarse a correr.

Entre gritos y masivas manifestaciones de júbilo accedieron a la monumental plaza, levantando de nuevo la protesta de varios vecinos de Compostela que, sobre todo desde el último año, denuncian comportamientos que, consideran, alteran la convivencia en el casco histórico.

combo.png

Cedido por @CompostelaResiste
El vídeo, que no deja de compartirse ya por redes, se acompaña de diversos comentarios, la mayoría, críticos. «Llevo 8 años viviendo en casco histórico y no sé a quien denunciar»; «Vímolos na Alameda e parecían e estaban normales... ata que alguen dos "adultos" que os acompañaban botou un berro de arranque e xa se encenderon!»; o «todo ten un límite, todo ten un fin», son solo algunos de los mensajes que acompañan a la grabación.

El Ayuntamiento de Santiago sacó en julio del año pasado un decálogo de buenas prácticas para concienciar a los peregrinos sobre la necesidad de conciliar su derecho al disfrute de la ciudad con el respeto a una convivencia ordenada con los compostelanos y con su patrimonio artístico. Entre la docena de consejos e indicaciones que recoge ese Código de Boas Prácticas se incluye la necesaria aportación de los visitantes a mantener la calidad acústica de la ciudad, evitando excesos de ruido al celebrar sus llegadas. Un punto que, como denuncian varios vecinos de Santiago, el vídeo vuelve a probar que no siempre se cumple.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Carreras, gritos y banderas: julio arranca de nuevo con la entrada descontrolada de peregrinos en Santiago​

Vecinos de Compostela, que inmortalizan la llegada de un numeroso grupo al Obradoiro, protestan en las redes: «Todo ten un límite»​

Llegada de peregrinos entre gritos y carreras: «Esto tiene que parar»

Copiado
@CompostelaResiste
02 jul 2024
. Actualizado a las 13:19 h.
Fue ayer, 1 de julio, día en el llegaron a Santiago 1.735 peregrinos, cuando la activa cuenta de Instagram Compostela Resiste, donde se recogen y publican muchos de los vídeos que denuncian comportamientos incívicos de los turistas en su llegada a Santiago, se hizo eco de una nueva grabación, protagonizada en este caso por un amplio grupo de jóvenes peregrinos que, al ver de cerca el Obradoiro, no dudaron en echarse a correr.

Entre gritos y masivas manifestaciones de júbilo accedieron a la monumental plaza, levantando de nuevo la protesta de varios vecinos de Compostela que, sobre todo desde el último año, denuncian comportamientos que, consideran, alteran la convivencia en el casco histórico.

combo.png

Cedido por @CompostelaResiste
El vídeo, que no deja de compartirse ya por redes, se acompaña de diversos comentarios, la mayoría, críticos. «Llevo 8 años viviendo en casco histórico y no sé a quien denunciar»; «Vímolos na Alameda e parecían e estaban normales... ata que alguen dos "adultos" que os acompañaban botou un berro de arranque e xa se encenderon!»; o «todo ten un límite, todo ten un fin», son solo algunos de los mensajes que acompañan a la grabación.

El Ayuntamiento de Santiago sacó en julio del año pasado un decálogo de buenas prácticas para concienciar a los peregrinos sobre la necesidad de conciliar su derecho al disfrute de la ciudad con el respeto a una convivencia ordenada con los compostelanos y con su patrimonio artístico. Entre la docena de consejos e indicaciones que recoge ese Código de Boas Prácticas se incluye la necesaria aportación de los visitantes a mantener la calidad acústica de la ciudad, evitando excesos de ruido al celebrar sus llegadas. Un punto que, como denuncian varios vecinos de Santiago, el vídeo vuelve a probar que no siempre se cumple.

As translated by Google:
Races, shouts and flags: July starts again with the uncontrolled entry of pilgrims into Santiago

Neighbors of Compostela, who immortalize the arrival of a large group at the Obradoiro, protest online: "Everything has a limit"

Arrival of pilgrims amid shouts and races: "This has to stop"

Copied
@CompostelaResiste
July 2, 2024. Updated at 1:19 p.m.
It was yesterday, July 1, the day on which 1,735 pilgrims arrived in Santiago, when the active Instagram account Compostela Resiste, where many of the videos that denounce uncivil behavior by tourists on their arrival in Santiago are collected and published, echoed of a new recording, starring in this case a large group of young pilgrims who, upon seeing the Obradoiro up close, did not hesitate to run.

Amid shouts and massive demonstrations of joy, they entered the monumental square, once again raising the protest of several residents of Compostela who, especially since the last year, have denounced behavior that, they consider, alters coexistence in the historic center.

Provided by @CompostelaResiste
The video, which continues to be shared on networks, is accompanied by various comments, most of them critical. «I have been living in the historic center for 8 years and I don't know who to report to»; «We saw them in Alameda and they seemed and were normal... until someone two "adults" who were accompanying you threw a starter cress and they lit up!»; or "everything has a limit, everything has an end", are just some of the messages that accompany the recording.

In July of last year, the Santiago City Council published a decalogue of good practices to raise awareness among pilgrims about the need to reconcile their right to enjoy the city with respect for an orderly coexistence with the people of Compostela and with their artistic heritage. Among the dozen tips and indications included in this Code of Practice, the necessary contribution of visitors to maintaining the acoustic quality of the city is included, avoiding excess noise when celebrating their arrivals. A point that, as several residents of Santiago denounce, the video once again proves that it is not always fulfilled.

Curious. In those debates of "overtourism" i always had the impression of the focus being on to many people from foreign countries travelling somewhere for that perfect instagram foto (or other reasons) and by their number making it hard on different levels for the locals. Being a german that never went to Mallorca i even kinda understand that some forms of behaviour might make it harder for the locals to be happy about the tourists (I guess the place is called Schinkenstrasse). But again, always it seemed to be about foreigners vs locals.
That being said, from my visits to Santiago i feel the debate about "unfashionable" behaviour should maybe be with a bit more of a domestic focus. The video provided kinda supports my tinfoil theory...

(And yes, of course, absolutely, no rule without exception and all that)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In my experience, this phenomenon is largely a summer thing. That is when you find large groups of students from all over Spain and other European countries arriving off the Camino Frances. This same route has been followed for hundreds of years.

Once schools reopen in September, the large school and church groups will dissipate, and the final arrival route off the Camino Frances will return to it's background noise level, at least, until next summer.

These groups do have adult chaperones. But, in my observation, they tend to follow a hands-off approach, unless someone gets into serious trouble. Exuberant cheering, singing, shouting, chanting, and low-level rowdiness are just part of this ambience. Can you imaging trying to control these exuberant adolescents on the route before arriving at Santiago? Most of this human wave starts at Sarria, only walking the last 100 - 100 km. It must be awful for all the other pilgrims who are subjected to this behavior for the five days or so.

This is why I have been advising regular pilgrims to consider avoiding this arrival route, and branch off onto the Camino de Invierno at Ponferrada. This adds a few days, but the route is quiet and quite beautiful. One arrives at Santiago coming in from the south on the end of the Camino Sanabres.

This established, unless the concello (city government) placed staffed volume controls at the entry to this final route into Santiago, metering the number of arriving pilgrims that would be permitted to continue, I cannot see a solution. Then again YOU try to tell a group of 100 or more young people that they have to wait for the next "group arrival slot" to continue walking past the barrier.

The optics are very bad. So, I imagine nothing will be done. While I agree this sucks for the residents, I cannot see an easy solution.

I have also suggested that "someone" map a parallel route to the final stretch from Sarria, but along the Frances, to deal with this issue. Anything that reduces the pressure on the main route will be welcome. As the Camino becomes even more popular, the "peak pilgrim" situation - especially from Sarria to Santiago - is going to get worse each year. This might be a job for the Wise Pilgrim? Just a thought - Sorry Michael.

Hope this helps the dialog.

Tom

Last edited:

I realise this is annoying for the residents but I am a little envious of their energy and enthusiasm. I was ready to stop walking by the time I arrived. 😄
Forget the 'energy and enthusiasm' stuff; I prefer the wisdom I have acquired . . . any day of the week. Much more so.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Has anyone tried refusing disposable sheets in albergues? (Or thought about it?) Eucalyptus isn't native to Spain and growing eucalyptus requires a lot of water and wrecks the soil for indigenous...
As I walked today, I came across a Wild Boar that had been, shot, gutted and hind quarters removed. It seemed a shame it was left there right on the Camino as I am sure it would disturb some...
Hi all, probably a question with many different answers, but here goes. I've done several Caminos, but always ones that feature a cafe every now and then ( think Frances, Portuguese, Ingles etc)...
Has anyone had experiences with private accommodations canceling reservations? I'm fresh off the Camino Ingles. I stayed at public albergues the whole trip, except for the last two nights in...
I much prefer ordering agua del grifo (tap water) both to save money and plastic, and everything else that goes into the production and delivery of bottled water. The last couple of nights in...
Fellow pilgrims. As an avid walker of various Caminos, I am always fascinated in the experiences of other pilgrims/tourists, and how their planning and experience on pilgrimage was shaped. As an...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back