Search 69,459 Camino Questions

November/December Camino

JTD

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello everyone. I will be arriving in SJPP on 8th November with a friend and we intend on setting off the following day (via the Valcarlos route, of course!). We know about the Aprinca list of accommodation and we are trying to pack for all weather eventualities (probably over cautious if anything!) But I am just wondering what other pilgrims experiences have been at this time of year? Pilgrim numbers, weather, accommodation availability - anything! Whatever you think may be relevant that we might not have considered. For example, we have not booked accommodation in SJPP. I'm hoping that with fewer pilgrims we should find a bed in the Municipal albergue. Is this wise? Perhaps I still need to book something. What about evening footwear? My sandals might be ok for in the albergue but if its raining maybe I would be better with a pair of trainers to go out for a meal etc? I could just put my walking shoes back on to go out in the evening, but might be inconvenient if I am trying to dry them out? I'm over thinking it, aren't I?! Very interested to hear from people who have walked November/December Camino Frances. 🙏🏼

Keep the Camino momentum going once you return home with After the Camino
JTD,

In past years, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010, when I walked the CF late autumn /winter accommodation started to close mid October but some place was always open. There were no summer crowds and beds/bunks were available. I usually slept in albergues, often the sole pilgrim, but also in back rooms of an open bar/restaurant.

Walking off-season during those past years I rarely saw more than 20 pilgrims at one time. There usually was a strong sense of camaraderie amongst those of us on the route especially during storms or difficult stretches.

Difficult CF stretches after storms could be; the Valcarlos route up to Roncesvalles (as you know the Napoleon route is closed from November to April), across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca, Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Monte Irago and, of course, to and from O Cebreiro. You must be prepared for snow in the mountains.

Many who go at this time wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed. Here are a kit list and tips from the viewpoint of a woman who often walked in late autumn and winter.

Do carry simple non perishable "extra" food. Spain is filled with delicious stops, but all are not always affordable nor open; the one food shop in town may be closed on the same day as the only resto/bar. No joke.

On past winter caminos especially during storms when I stopped in small and remote albergues far from any supply source novice pilgrims often staggered in wet, cold and hungry. They may have had the best gear but carried no food!

Of course I shared; a chunk of cheese and wedge of sausage with a few dried abricots can be ambrosia in such a setting. A smile returned by a new friend over a simple meal is one of the Camino's many joys.

Happy planning and Buen camino.

mspath,

Thank you for your reply. The lack of crowds, and therefore, no bed race, sounds perfect. I wonder how numbers will compare now to what you experienced. We will be sure to carry food!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In winter I wear gortex mid height boots. They keep my feet warmer. (Summers I wear trail runners non-gortex.) Carry some balls of wadded newspaper (or get a couple of grocery store flyers if no newspaper) and stuff them in your shoes tightly and any moisture will be absorbed overnight. You can use them several days before replacing.

I wear closed toe crocs in the winter. They look like clogs and can be worn around the albergue or out to supper with socks. They are bulky so I have carried them on the outside of my pack on straps at times.

Be prepared for weather. I have an Altus Poncho, a synthetic puffer (North Face Thermoball), light merino gloves, and a head band (turtle fur brand). Some people complain about sweating inside the poncho, but I have not had that issue in the winter.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Something puzzles me why do people fly to Pamplona then travel back to SJPP would Biarritz be more logical ? then train from Bayonne.
I stopped by El Peregrino Bazaar, Amancio Yagüez's iconic workplace in Castrojeriz's Plaza Mayor, last week. The shop was closed when I got there about ten minutes before 5pm. I sat down on a...
That's me finished, had blast and not to many blisters. Overall a fantastic experience, lovely Spain l thankyou
I lost a kindle in Orisson about 10 days ago. I emailed them and they found it! I volunteered to pay to have it mailed to me in the U.S. They replied” a special society” will contact you for its...
I'm looking at starting around March 10, 2025, and will leave from Saint Jean Pied de Port. I welcome any input from people that started that early. A couple of concerns included the weather the...
This morning I must have lost my wallet on the 8.15 h bus from León to Virgen del camino. Luckily, it only contains money, not cards. Would anybody know which number I could call to hear whether...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.