• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Non-Camino walk with short, easy stages?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Various routes 2016 - 2024
I've already posted in the Fisherman's Trail forum, but I think that all the beach/sand walking might be a no-go for my husband.

My husband will accompany me to Europe next year for a vacation before I start my Camino (probably the Portuguese from Lisbon). We haven't made any plans yet, but think that we want to go to Italy. It's really a long shot, but I'd like to convince him to do a short supported walk - about 5 days, with stages around 10 miles/16 km or less.

Some background - my husband is in decent shape, and we generally like to travel to places where we can walk instead of taking taxis. But, he has no interest in walking a Camino - at least not in the manner that I like to walk, which is carrying my pack and averaging 20 - 25 km per day, which sounds like drudgery to him. However, I thought that I might be able to entice him to do a short inn to inn style walking tour

What are some easy, but scenic walks where we could have luggage transport and stay in inns or hotels?

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I did some lovely walks in western Sicily - Zingaro, Monte Cofino, Erice to Trapani and around the island of Levanzo off the coast of Trapani. I flew into Palermo and discovered the amazing Palazzo de Butera. I booked it through an Italy based company that specialized in walking tours (car transfers, hotels, gps maps, no guide). I likely could track down the gps maps if you’re interested. I can also provide name and contact of company. There really wasn’t enough that could be done without a car and I didn’t want to drive. They also had options for eastern Sicily (they offer other Italian locations - I also did a lake region tour with them - might be too much elevation gain for the spouse, Sicily was very manageable). I walked in October. Weather was incredible. So was having the sea at my shoulder. Their website might be useful just for ideas on where walks are possible.

my wife and I have walked 10 or so routes and generally enjoy hiking/walking daily. But my god, the Fisherman’s Trail?!!?!? That was by far the hardest route of all. I understand that it seems so simple - costal, relatively flat, nice villages - but it was definitely challenging and NOT for a beginner!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Given the need for daily luggage transfers, would an option be a not too busy Camino route, that has baggage services (I know they kind of play against each other there). And pre book accomodation in some nice Casa Rurals and the like. With the right route it need not feel too Camino like.

But there again, when I look at Correos. They are all fairly busy routes.

As of Easter 2024, the Paq Mochila is available until October 31 at on the Frech Way from Roncesvalles, on the Portuguese Way from Tui, on the Coastal Portuguese Way from A Guarda, on the Variante Espiritual of Portuguese Way; on the Primitive Way from Oviedo, on the Northern Way from Irún, on the English Way from Ferrol, on the Sanabria Way from Ourense and on the Way to Fisterra and Muxía. Paq Mochila is also available on the French Way from Somport and on the Winter Way on request at paqmochila@correos.com.

So maybe that idea was a non starter, sorry. It's hard not to think about taking advantage of the Camino infrastructure. :oops:

What about an 'organised' walking tour in Italy?

There seem to be loads! Nice accomodation too. (I won't let Pat see these links!)

Of course you could save loads of money and plan it all yourself!!
Heard that somewhere before :cool:

This might be a case though where a 'package' makes a lot of sense.

but I'd like to convince him to do a short supported walk - about 5 days, with stages around 10 miles/16 km or less.

What does your husband like to do? I'd be tailoring the walk to match stuff he likes. Walks near the sea, old cities, natural beauty, historic sites....... build a walk around that, so it's not about the walk at all really.

For example. Pat my dearly beloved is not exactly "champing at the bit" to walk 400 kms next year. Though she does kind of want to get the exercise and some motivation to get fitter.

The greater motivation is the snippets I'm finding about places to eat along the way.
It looks like some really great 'memorable' meals will help ;)
We've even found a couple of Michelin places with great menus and reviews........

It's all about the right motivational 'bait' :cool:

Sorry not to be helpful, but the Cinque Terra 20 years ago.

But it depends on your budget I guess which for 2 of you might be 5 or 6 times your long-conditioned Camino life, and as Robo said some sort of seductive bait.

Keep the Camino momentum going once you return home with After the Camino
If I were going to Italy and had never been before, I suggest a two week bus tour that included all the famous tourist stops that encompasses a huge swath of the country in all its beauty. Definitely not a camino, but there is plenty of daily walking to be done. It has been one of my favorite vacations and very little planning to be done.
Btw, your hubby sounds similar to mine regarding "Caminos".

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I've already posted in the Fisherman's Trail forum, but I think that all the beach/sand walking might be a no-go for my husband. My husband will accompany me to Europe next year for a vacation...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back