• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No room at the Inn.

obinjatoo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2012 Dieppe, FR Bici CF.
2014 Ruta Vasco/CF/Primativo
That's what they told Mary. Is it my imagination or is it nuts in Santiago? Just looked at hostels, pensiones and the like for 2 pilgrims within 5 k of the Cathedral. 400 Euros? WTF?! I walked the French Route in 2014. It was nuts but I found dorms for 20 euros. What is going on? Have we completely monetized the pilgrimage? That is sad.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's what they told Mary. Is it my imagination or is it nuts in Santiago? Just looked at hostels, pensiones and the like for 2 pilgrims within 5 k of the Cathedral. 400 Euros? WTF?! I walked the French Route in 2014. It was nuts but I found dorms for 20 euros. What is going on? Have we completely monetized the pilgrimage? That is sad.
When and on what booking platform? That is certainly not typical. A random week night for next week in central Santiago shows rooms available for two people for €60-70, and that’s without trying.

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
A sure bet is usually Seminario Menor:

Fully booked 23rd to 24th September, but on the next day one bunk for 21€ ( 7 left) and single rooms for 25€ (6 left)

Last edited:
Strange. This is for tomorrow, with budget max set at €80.
Bottom right is Albergue Seminario Menor at €22

View attachment 177939
What platform is this (or which one do you advise to use)? We are planning to arrive in Santiago on 4 October, and I am having trouble finding availability for that date (we'd prefer a good hotel room).

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
What platform is this (or which one do you advise to use)? We are planning to arrive in Santiago on 4 October, and I am having trouble finding availability for that date (we'd prefer a good hotel room).

It's booking.com

I often use it when looking for accommodation, but try to book directly.
Often you'll get a cheaper rate.
But it's the easiest way to book accommodation I suppose.

Though it has limitations.
Not all accommodations use it.
Those that do, don't show all their beds/rooms.
This is because of the high commissions charged.
They would rather take direct bookings in the main.

Often I'll get the contact details from Gronze.com and send a whatsapp message about a booking.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
It's booking.com

I often use it when looking for accommodation, but try to book directly.
Often you'll get a cheaper rate.
Well, that means you used the service but chose not to pay for it (by booking through them), right?
Perhaps, if your intention was to book directly with the hotel, it would be morally correct not to use booking.com to check what is available? What do you think?

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Well, that means you used the service but chose not to pay for it (by booking through them), right?
Perhaps, if your intention was to book directly with the hotel, it would be morally correct not to use booking.com to check what is available? What do you think?

It's certainly a valid point of view.

I use booking.com a lot for business travel. ;)
And sometimes on Camino, if it's easier.
They make plenty out of me.

I think a lot of these aggregator sites are used frequently just for research.
Rome2Rio, Skyscanner etc etc.
But it brings traffic to the sites, boosts ranking, advertising revenue for those that have ads.

I actually use booking.com a lot for overseas business trips, booking hotels, cars, tours.......
It's convenient for that.

Last edited:
I think a lot of these aggregator sites are used frequently just for research.
Rome2Rio, Skyscanner etc etc.
Exactly. People use a service and then decide not to pay for it (by booking their accomodation or a ticket).
Although there are a certain number of people who use the service and then complete the purchase, that is enough for the business to thrive. I was just asking about the moral aspect of the matter. Because if you use a service, it would be right to use it till the end and not abandon it once you get all the information you needed.

Exactly. People use a service and then decide not to pay for it (by booking their accomodation or a ticket).
Although there are a certain number of people who use the service and then complete the purchase, that is enough for the business to thrive. I was just asking about the moral aspect of the matter. Because if you use a service, it would be right to use it till the end and not abandon it once you get all the information you needed.

As I said, it's a fair point of view.

Personally I feel that the amount I do end up paying Booking dot com, more than offsets my use of the site as a personal research tool at times. Maybe an attitude of "I've paid my dues".

Not in defence of my own use of the site. If indeed it needs defending.

But as an example, in my own business we are frequently asked to provide 'quotes' for work, that take days and days of effort to prepare, only to find out it was a window shopping or price comparison exercise, and the potential client obviously had no intention of making a purchase. It's all part of the 'cost of doing business' and is factored into our overheads.

In the case of a site like booking dot com, there is no actual cost to provide the site to someone merely researching. OK, we could argue a proportion of the site hosting and maintenance, but that would be a fraction of a cent per visitor. Aggregated, it would be a larger number, but this is factored into business overheads.

Back to the moral / ethical question. Personally I'm OK with it. Because I actually pay the company a fair amount in commissions each year with all our business bookings. And so some personal research use of the site seems trivial in comparison. And I see it as a trade off for being a good customer.

But then my browsing without purchasing is still adding value. Traffic, rankings, ad revenues etc. I know the value of these things with our own business.

Perhaps the real question here, is the 'value' being consumed.

Taking another example. Would I go into a cafe on the Camino, use the bathroom, top up my water bottle and sit outside to use their WiFi, without purchasing something? No. Never! To me that is akin to robbery. I'm consuming their resources, and giving nothing in return.

I wonder how many people use Wikipedia, and don't contribute to its funding? Many are probably not aware that you can make a small monthly contribution to keep them going.

These situations are around us every day. And we need to make a judgement call on them.

I take your point, which is a fair one. And in this specific case, of booking dot com, I feel OK about it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Robo for your thoughtful and wise reply! I think you realize I was playing devils advocate here. You're probably one of the most generous and honest pilgrims around so it was safe to tease you with my question, but you could easily hit back by saying I'm not a donating forum member so I'm a freeloader myself and should shut up! Although I can see four Altus poncho ads on this page while you cannot. Maybe someday I'll finally buy one :)

Personally I feel that the amount I do end up paying Booking dot com, more than offsets my use of the site as a personal research tool at times. Maybe an attitude of "I've paid my dues".

But as an example, in my own business we are frequently asked to provide 'quotes' for work, that take days and days of effort to prepare, only to find out it was a window shopping or price comparison exercise, and the potential client obviously had no intention of making a purchase. It's all part of the 'cost of doing business' and is factored into our overheads.

In the case of a site like booking dot com, there is no actual cost to provide the site to someone merely researching. OK, we could argue a proportion of the site hosting and maintenance, but that would be a fraction of a cent per visitor. Aggregated, it would be a larger number, but this is factored into business overheads.

Back to the moral / ethical question. Personally I'm OK with it. Because I actually pay the company a fair amount in commissions each year with all our business bookings. And so some personal research use of the site seems trivial in comparison. And I see it as a trade off for being a good customer.

But then my browsing without purchasing is still adding value. Traffic, rankings, ad revenues etc. I know the value of these things with our own business.

Taking another example. Would I go into a cafe on the Camino, use the bathroom, top up my water bottle and sit outside to use their WiFi, without purchasing something? No. Never! To me that is akin to robbery. I'm consuming their resources, and giving nothing in return.

I wonder how many people use Wikipedia, and don't contribute to its funding? Many are probably not aware that you can make a small monthly contribution to keep them going.

These situations are around us every day. And we need to make a judgement call on them.

I take your point, which is a fair one. And in this specific case, of booking dot com, I feel OK about it.
Agree with all that! I wouldn’t overthink it though. When you see who owns booking, and then drill down to see what other companies they own, they hold a range of booking sites, referral sites, screen scrapers, and so on, so it’s a far bigger picture!! That’s the way the sector works. Customers who use b. com as a search and don’t ‘convert’ are very much factored into the business model!

Last edited:

You bring up alot of good points @Robo. I have used bookings many times over the years. When it comes to using Booking.com for personal use I still check with the hotel directly to see if there is a better price available. I walk alot of less traveled caminos and do it in off season. I see that you have also expanded your caminos to these types of routes also. There are times when finding a place to sleep in off season on these routes can be a little tricky. I will check Booking to see if I can find something when albergues etc on Gronze or the apps are closed. I will always call the hostel/pension directly or Whatsapp them. Not to force the owners to pay Booking a 15% commision which I think is really high. I want the owners to keep as much as they can.
But I have read in more than one place about Booking which is another giant company that rakes in billions a year and rips people off. Here is one example:
No one should have any guilt whatsoever using Booking.com for research and then helping the little guy especially. When it comes to booking a corporate hotel chain and corporate greed then I say I want to save that little extra money that I may get by calling the corporate hotel directly or in most cases just doing it online.
To paraphrase an oft used expression that I grew up with in the Bronx when you know there is a sleeze bag. "Screw 'em where they breath" Of course that first word is really an inappropriate lexicon of the King's English that is acceptable on our site.

Last edited:
Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
Let me point out that the logic you are using is probably the same logic that is killing the donativo albergues on the Camino. Some pilgrims think: "if I can use the service and not pay, or if I can use the service and save some much-needed money, why should I pay or pay more?" If the service can be accessed for free, avoiding paying our share to the owner, why not take advantage of it? I can see a clear parallel between using the booking.com website and not letting them collect their commission, and using the donativo albergue and saving on pilgrim's budget.

Hotel Capital de Galicia - 20 min walk from the Cathedral. It shows 111 euro right now but as many have said, check with the hotel itself. It is the only place I have ever used once I have reached SdC. The big Mall is just up the hill.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm just sorry. Sorry, and suprised, that anyone that's just walked the camino uses foul language acronym on this forum to express their annoyance at inconvenience.

Yes!

I don't begrudge the people of Spain earning a living.

Most read last week in this forum

That's what they told Mary. Is it my imagination or is it nuts in Santiago? Just looked at hostels, pensiones and the like for 2 pilgrims within 5 k of the Cathedral. 400 Euros? WTF?! I walked the...
My wife and I expect to arrive in Santiago on 26 Sep and stay for three nights. We are finding accommodations to be difficult to find. We’d like to be within approximately 10-15 minutes from the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.