• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

newcomer with questions about Le Puy-en Velay to Conques

wanderworld65

Time of past OR future Camino
past: 2023, future 2024
Hi everyone

I've just discovered this forum. I walked part of the Camino Frances from SJPP to Burgos last September and plan to walk Le Puy-en Velay to Conques this September. Although the Spanish side was very busy, I managed to find a dorm bed each night (I'm an early riser). Is this section less busy? I'd rather not have to book ahead. Would it be relatively easy to find a dorm bed along this route?
I'd appreciate any tips.
Thank you
Kay

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There are less alberguetype accomodations. Most people make reservations at least one day ahead. Not because of a" bedstruggle" but because in most places the host prepares the dinner. Most of the times there will be a communal dinner which is nice. Most walkers will be french which means that the common language at the dinnertable will most of the time will be french. There are some albergues. You will find the website gronze.com very useful to find accomodations. There is also the wellknown Miam Miam Dodo guide, but I liked Gronze more

It's a very nice Camino. When I walked that section in 2022, it was just after COVID, and we (2 of us) booked all gites in advance. It was busy, and several gites were at capacity. Most of the gites we used were private, but there were some communal gites as well. Antonius is correct, French is very common and hosts need advance notice for meal preparation, usually when you make a reservation for a demi-pension. Find that out when you make a reservation because some gites do not have communal meals, so restaurant reservations are a must when you arrive in a town, especially in the smaller towns. I recommend that you contact the first few gites by email and at least ask about availability and meals for your dates, then use that info as a planning guide for the rest of your walk. Bon chemin!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have a look at the "Voie du Puy" sub-forum, found in the "Routes in France" section of this forum- with more than one thousand threads, you will find an abundance of information.

It's a beautiful route- happy planning and bon chemin!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everyone

I've just discovered this forum. I walked part of the Camino Frances from SJPP to Burgos last September and plan to walk Le Puy-en Velay to Conques this September. Although the Spanish side was very busy, I managed to find a dorm bed each night (I'm an early riser). Is this section less busy? I'd rather not have to book ahead. Would it be relatively easy to find a dorm bed along this route?
I'd appreciate any tips.
Thank you
Kay
Kay, you will likely need to reserve ahead in September. Busyness depends on when you walk, because the infrastructure is less built up than the Francés in Spain, and gites d'étape tend to be very small in comparison. The busiest portion is from Le Puy en Velay to Conques, and the busiest months are May and September. I highly reserving that portion if you walk during those months. The French tend to walk small segments at a time and take advantage of French holidays, which may account for some of the traffic. Also, Conques is a destination in itself. It has become increasingly popular post-pandemic so much busier than it was a few years ago. If you want to take advantage of the demi-pension, recommended where there is no place to eat in a small town or village, you will need to reserve a day in advance.

Last edited:
Hi everyone

I'd appreciate any tips.
Thank you
Kay
Bonjour,
May your walk be joyful! You may enjoy joining the GR 65 private facebook group - for those walking the Via Podiensis…Le Puy route. I found it useful and informative for my walk from Le Puy to SJPP in 2022 (mid August to mid September). Here is a photo of the facebook page. Request to join if you are interested in up-to-date information/reviews/suggestions etc.

Attachments​

• IMG_6948.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Kay,

I walked a part of this route from 20-28 july this year. From Le puy tot Espailon. I booked my accommodation in advance but i like private rooms. I had to alter my plans and booked some accommodation on the day (just call ahead) That was no easy, but i managed ( in dorms). This part is busy, and July is not as busy as may and september. Even now a lot of people stuggeled finding accommodation because they didn't book ahead. If you stay in the gites just outside the main stops, you will find more availability.

It is a beautiful part of the GR 65. Enjoy it! My French is not that great but I enjoyed the comunal meals!

Bon Camino!

@Bill905 and @Antonius Vaessen do you have a few recommended threads here for someone planning a le puy to sjpp camino?
It’s a really nice route...I walked it in 2013. You may find some info of interest in my blog https://caminolongwalk.blogspot.com/ which has a blogpost for each day starting in Le Puy en Velay to St. Jean Pied de Port. I had a technical issue along the way so a number of blogposts were made upon arrival at home.

Sooo...On right hand side of blog you see dates...Oct 2013 - Oct 9, 2013 Rest Day in Le Puy en Velay is the start...then November and December (ends with Nov 5, 2013 in St. Jean Pied de Port) follow the Camino walk.

Hope you choose to walk this route!

This section is a beautiful Camino - just be aware that it is also the most difficult /strenuous Camino - rated as being slightly more difficult than Camino Norte.
If you are in the younger side it won’t be a problem. I walked this year at age 72 and found it incredibly challenging physically. I miscalculated my capacity when I booked my accommodation before I left home.
Most people had booked ahead but I met some who hadn’t. They always found a bed but shared that it made for more stressful evenings.
However It is a wonderful Camino - with its own unique and special flavour. Enjoy.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Hi everyone

I'd appreciate any tips.
Thank you
Kay
This GR65 Via Podiensis is less busy than the Camino Frances [roughly 10% of the Camino Francès numbers] ... September and May are the busiest months on this route and many accommodations are already complet / fully-booked. There will always be cancellations so you might be lucky and find a bed where and when you want ... but don’t count on it! As a communal evening meal is generally [but not always] part of the deal, the majority of hikers reserve ahead, so that hosts know how many people to cater for. Good luck and bon chemin👣👣👣

Hi everyone

I'd appreciate any tips.
Thank you
Kay
Hello Kay
We walked this way during spring 2 years ago and were very happy to have booked all well in advance.
The French themselves are avid walkers (not necessarily camino walkers) and this route in particular is very popular. The Aubrac is beautiful in every season and is quite well serviced with pilgrim- and reasonably priced accommodations compared to other GR routes. The 'walkers' know this and avail of it. They book well in advance and so should you!
Many pilgrims we met along the way, had to review their situation and take a train to a different camino/chemin, as they simply could not find a bed. Very! very! different from the French camino! Beautiful and at times harsh, always breathtaking! Go for it but BOOK BOOK BOOK!!! Bon courage!

@Bill905 and @Antonius Vaessen do you have a few recommended threads here for someone planning a le puy to sjpp camino?
I think you have gotten a recommendation for a good thread about the Via Podiensis. My recommendation comes from a French pilgrim friend, with whom I have walked a few Caminos ... For routes in France make as many reservations in advance (through email) as possible. Long distance walking, supported by gites and albergues, is very popular in Europe. In addition, I found that having a bed and a meal waiting removes a lot of stress and lets you enjoy your Camino a little more. Bon Chemin!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This GR65 Via Podiensis is less busy than the Camino Frances [roughly 10% of the Camino Francès numbers] ... September and May are the busiest months on this route and many accommodations are already complet / fully-booked. There will always be cancellations so you might be lucky and find a bed where and when you want ... but don’t count on it! As a communal evening meal is generally [but not always] part of the deal, the majority of hikers reserve ahead, so that hosts know how many people to cater for. Good luck and bon chemin👣👣👣
But Please, please remember, that if if for any reason you do not go to the reserved place, you MUST CANCEL !!!
Many people don't bother and this is very unfair to the owner of the accommodation as well as to other pilgrims/walkers!
If this continues, a situation may arise, where reservations will no longer be possible, or are not honoured. Best thing to do is to re-confirm your booking 1 or 2 days before arrival. Good for all involved ;)

Hello Kay
We walked this way during spring 2 years ago and were very happy to have booked all well in advance.
The French themselves are avid walkers (not necessarily camino walkers) and this route in particular is very popular. The Aubrac is beautiful in every season and is quite well serviced with pilgrim- and reasonably priced accommodations compared to other GR routes. The 'walkers' know this and avail of it. They book well in advance and so should you!
Many pilgrims we met along the way, had to review their situation and take a train to a different camino/chemin, as they simply could not find a bed. Very! very! different from the French camino! Beautiful and at times harsh, always breathtaking! Go for it but BOOK BOOK BOOK!!! Bon courage!
There are less alberguetype accomodations. Most people make reservations at least one day ahead. Not because of a" bedstruggle" but because in most places the host prepares the dinner. Most of the times there will be a communal dinner which is nice. Most walkers will be french which means that the common language at the dinnertable will most of the time will be french. There are some albergues. You will find the website gronze.com very useful to find accomodations. There is also the wellknown Miam Miam Dodo guide, but I liked Gronze more
It's a very nice Camino. When I walked that section in 2022, it was just after COVID, and we (2 of us) booked all gites in advance. It was busy, and several gites were at capacity. Most of the gites we used were private, but there were some communal gites as well. Antonius is correct, French is very common and hosts need advance notice for meal preparation, usually when you make a reservation for a demi-pension. Find that out when you make a reservation because some gites do not have communal meals, so restaurant reservations are a must when you arrive in a town, especially in the smaller towns. I recommend that you contact the first few gites by email and at least ask about availability and meals for your dates, then use that info as a planning guide for the rest of your walk. Bon chemin!
Kay, you will likely need to reserve ahead in September. Busyness depends on when you walk, because the infrastructure is less built up than the Francés in Spain, and gites d'étape tend to be very small in comparison. The busiest portion is from Le Puy en Velay to Conques, and the busiest months are May and September. I highly reserving that portion if you walk during those months. The French tend to walk small segments at a time and take advantage of French holidays, which may account for some of the traffic. Also, Conques is a destination in itself. It has become increasingly popular post-pandemic so much busier than it was a few years ago. If you want to take advantage of the demi-pension, recommended where there is no place to eat in a small town or village, you will need to reserve a day in advance.
Bonjour,
May your walk be joyful! You may enjoy joining the GR 65 private facebook group - for those walking the Via Podiensis…Le Puy route. I found it useful and informative for my walk from Le Puy to SJPP in 2022 (mid August to mid September). Here is a photo of the facebook page. Request to join if you are interested in up-to-date information/reviews/suggestions etc.

Attachments​

• IMG_6948.jpeg
Hi Kay,

I walked a part of this route from 20-28 july this year. From Le puy tot Espailon. I booked my accommodation in advance but i like private rooms. I had to alter my plans and booked some accommodation on the day (just call ahead) That was no easy, but i managed ( in dorms). This part is busy, and July is not as busy as may and september. Even now a lot of people stuggeled finding accommodation because they didn't book ahead. If you stay in the gites just outside the main stops, you will find more availability.

It is a beautiful part of the GR 65. Enjoy it! My French is not that great but I enjoyed the comunal meals!

Bon Camino!
This section is a beautiful Camino - just be aware that it is also the most difficult /strenuous Camino - rated as being slightly more difficult than Camino Norte.
If you are in the younger side it won’t be a problem. I walked this year at age 72 and found it incredibly challenging physically. I miscalculated my capacity when I booked my accommodation before I left home.
Most people had booked ahead but I met some who hadn’t. They always found a bed but shared that it made for more stressful evenings.
However It is a wonderful Camino - with its own unique and special flavour. Enjoy.
Hello Kay
Thank you everyone for your comments. I'll take everything into account. Better get planning, time is nigh!

Thank you everyone for your comments. I'll take everything into account. Better start planning, time is nigh! Still trying to work out how this forum works........ hopefully this reply is in the right place!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I'd appreciate any tips.

It is a gorgeous walk. I had no idea it was ranked as one of the most difficult... I walked it at age 56 and the Stevenson and St Guilhem (which overlapped the Le Puy route for a few days) a later ages, and loved them all. Each time I started out in decent walking shape but overweight, and lost some kilos along the way.

The main other thing I didn't know was different from Spain (since most of my walks have been in France) is, yes, usually dinner is included, and it is at 7pm, and they will hold up the meal for everyone, until the last expected guest has arrived! I have not been able to argue any host out of doing this... it is just not done!

I am slower than all my companions, the fastest of whom does the booking! There have been several times that I have been the cause of hungry disgruntlement arriving late, on long days.

(Not so much on Le Puy to Conques, but from Conques onward, and on the St Guilhem and Stevenson, my friend planned some long stages, through mountainous territory, and even starting at 7am, my days were 12+ hours of walking. Last year I walked from 8am and arrived at Navarrenx at 11:59pm (but I had found a host willing to just let me slip in an unlocked door -- I was her only guest). I don't mind walking long days, in fact I kinda love it, once I'm a few days into a camino... but it doesn't suit the shared communal dinner ethos!

-Kevin

This Camino is on my bucket list so I have a question regarding the communal meal.
I don't eat carbs, so no pasta, vegetables, bread, fruit etc. Presuming that a French host would normally include some of these items in their meal plan, would it be rude of me to decline them or should I mention this to the host in advance? Or, should I say that I won't need an evening meal and just buy some cheese and fuet to eat on my own.
When I walked the Portuguese last year, they were what I ate most days, along with some hard boiled or scrambled eggs. Would I be able to cook some eggs in many of the kitchens along this route?

This Camino is on my bucket list so I have a question regarding the communal meal.
I don't eat carbs, so no pasta, vegetables, bread, fruit etc. Presuming that a French host would normally include some of these items in their meal plan, would it be rude of me to decline them or should I mention this to the host in advance? Or, should I say that I won't need an evening meal and just buy some cheese and fuet to eat on my own.
When I walked the Portuguese last year, they were what I ate most days, along with some hard boiled or scrambled eggs. Would I be able to cook some eggs in many of the kitchens along this route?
You are in France mate
No other country can own or grow any produce in France.
Whatever is in season they grow and eat.
They won’t change , God bless them

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You are in France mate
No other country can own or grow any produce in France.
Whatever is in season they grow and eat.
They won’t change , God bless them
I get that but I don't eat vegetables so I don't want to be rude and refuse to eat them in front of the host. I've had very few communal meals on my previous caminos but I do remember some of them were vegetarian meals. So should I tell the host when I make the booking?
That's why I was wondering if I'd be able to cook my own food or if I should plan on buying and eating cooked meat and cheese along the way, for each meal.

Hi @wanderworld65 - I see that you are a fellow Aussie :). When are you walking? Four of us set out from Le Puy on 25 Sept - two of our number will finish in Cahors (passing through Conques on 04 Oct) with the other two continuing on to SJPdP. Depending on your timings we may see you along the way. Either way, buen camino/bon chemin.

So should I tell the host when I make the booking?
Definitely!
A suggestion: start by explaining that you have specific dietary requirements, and that should they not be able to assist you fully appreciate this, and that you will not therefore require a meal. (perhaps include a list of items that you do eat?)
You could also go on to ask that if that should be the case might it be possible to cook some eggs in their kitchen and see what they say

Definitely!
A suggestion: start by explaining that you have specific dietary requirements, and that should they not be able to assist you fully appreciate this, and that you will not therefore require a meal. (perhaps include a list of items that you do eat?)
You could also go on to ask that if that should be the case might it be possible to cook some eggs in their kitchen and see what they say
Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't expect them to cook anything especially for me though so I think it'd be safer if I just go without a shared meal but I will ask if I can cook some eggs though. I might bring a camping stove and frying pan with me, if I have enough room.

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't expect them to cook anything especially for me though so I think it'd be safer if I just go without a shared meal but I will ask if I can cook some eggs though. I might bring a camping stove and frying pan with me, if I have enough room.
Get MMDD and see who speaks English in the gites etc in each village or in between.
They will all have a private email address John….ask about the food .
Plenty of large town for you to shop , but in between stops will require MMDD.
I would not bring a camping stove , you will get through with albergue equipment as long as the village has a supermarket.
And every now and again pick a good hotel , there are plenty , and enjoy their omelettes.
However do not stay with the nuns in Come D’ Alt 🤭🤭🤭😇

I would stay in places with a kitchen that allowed you to make your own meals. These are indicated by a symbol of a cooking pot in the principal guidebook, the Miam Miam Dodo.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all! We want to walk the Via Podiensis in June/July 2025. Is it necessary to book accommodation ahead of arrival, and if so, how far ahead? If possible, we would like to have the...
Hello All - I just booked flight to Lyon and depart in 10 days as prices have finally dropped ! I have a list of accommodations etc... but would be grateful for any tips, favourite gites, wild...
When do the gîtes close in the fall? I would like to start in October and may still be walking during November if I become injured and have to slow down. I’ve walked the Camino Francés in the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back