• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Neurodiversity on the Camino

My wife suffers of LORFOP*.

The symptoms are similar: when she hear loud people not caring about others she get really stressed.

We will avoid walking the most popular caminos in summer...

*Lack Of Respect From Other People

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hmmmm.....the Camino Frances wouldn't be my first choice if I had such a condition.
It's walked by literally hundreds of thousands of people annually, and one will experience crowded restaurants, cafes, bars, stores, plazas etc. Not to mention the interactions and noises involved with communal living in albergues.
Perhaps a wilderness hike would be more in order.

Hmmmm.....the Camino Frances wouldn't be my first choice if I had such a condition.
It's walked by literally hundreds of thousands of people annually, and one will experience crowded restaurants, cafes, bars, stores, plazas etc. Not to mention the interactions and noises involved with communal living in albergues.
Perhaps a wilderness hike would be more in order.
You are assuming the OP did not do enough research to know what the CF might involve. Anyone on the autism spectrum is likely to have done plenty of research. Also to be wise enough to ask questions here on issues where specific advice from experienced people might help.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I have AuADHD and will be walking the Camino Frances starting Aug 21st 2024. Crowded restaurants with loud music and even louder conversation are my idea of hell. I get annoyed by the sound of traffic from the road next to my apartment. One of the reasons I'm walking is to get away from urban noise. Would love to hear about experiences and tips/ tricks to avoid overstimulation and have a better time.

Here's a metaphor for the experience of being noise sensitive. It's a normal mildly irritating ant bite but there's nothing you can do to stop it hurting unless you're a mile away from civilisation. But you have a job / friends / family etc so you just have to bear with it. Forever.
Better stay away from groups of Spaniards, Spanish people tend to be noisy! I guess it depends where you are walking, but I would say there is probably plenty of urban noise as you walk from one small town to another. If you are staying in albergues, then you will be sharing your space with fellow pilgrims, so there will be noise, including snoring, people getting up before you, going to be after you etc.

Most read last week in this forum

Yesterday I began stage one of my Camino Frances from SJPP to Léon! I finished at Roncesvalles after 9 hours of the challenging but absolutely gorgeous hike from SJPP. However the intensity of the...
What OTC meds can you get in Spain for GERD?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.