• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need a Pep Talk for the Climb from Combarro to Armenteira

laurenligreci

Time of past OR future Camino
June 24' Portuguese
Hi! I need a pep talk. I’m hurting today after 24km yesterday from Redondela to Pontevedra. I really struggled with that day and there was a detour through Pontevedra and today ended up being a 15k day to Combarro. We stopped here for the night before the climb tomorrow.

My feet are sore and I’m not sleeping great, just struggling. It rained all day. Bla bla.

Give me all your words of wisdom to get my 230lb self and my daughter over this climb tomorrow.

It looks like there are no cafes or anywhere to stop on the way up and it’s supposed to pour rain all day tomorrow again. I’m thinking maybe I need to pack food for me and my daughter to eat along the way?

Send tips, tricks, anything PLEASE LOL

😂

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Yes, do pack extra food and water with you as there aren’t any cafes that I remember to stop at. With that said, it’s not a bad climb particularly since you’re already in Combarro. As I remember most of it is on paved or dirt roads to the top. At the summit, particularly if it’s raining, just take your time and be careful as it might be slippery descending into Armenteria. Nonetheless, yes, it’s mostly uphill, but not all that bad. Just take your time and before you know it, you’ll be in Armenteria. Visit the monetary and there’s a delightful cafe/bar just outside the Monestario gates. Use that as your motivation to get to the top. Enjoy the Variante! Plus, as another motivator, the boat ride from Vilanova de Arouza to Padron is quite special!

Last edited:
Well these are the kind of things you will look back on, and realise that even in those uncomfortable moments you still put one foot in front of the other, these are the moments along with the good ones that define your Camino - moments that once you've finished you wouldn't have any other way - moments that you'll long for again once you are back in your normal life. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It’s a tough climb but I assume you’re only going as far as Armenteira, so your day is pretty short. If you have a chance to attend the nuns’ pilgrim blessing at the monastery tomorrow night, that might be something enjoyable for both of you and a good learning experience for Natalie. The next day you will see the most beautiful scenery of your camino (the Stone and Water route) and since it’s in a thick forest, you should be able to enjoy it even in bad weather, although the path may be slippery. Unfortunately it rains a lot in Galicia, that’s just the way it is — to put a positive spin on it, try to appreciate all the greenery that the rain produces!

The steepest part is at the beginning- take your time! Watch for the fruit box some kind soul left at the base of one of the crosses. ( I walked in May in the rain) There is also a bus shelter or two where I escaped a downpour, waited 10 min for lighter rain! After the summit take your time going downhill - and then you will be there before you know it! Good luck

Hi! I need a pep talk. I’m hurting today after 24km yesterday from Redondela to Pontevedra. I really struggled with that day and there was a detour through Pontevedra and today ended up being a 15k day to Combarro. We stopped here for the night before the climb tomorrow.

My feet are sore and I’m not sleeping great, just struggling. It rained all day. Bla bla.

Give me all your words of wisdom to get my 230lb self and my daughter over this climb tomorrow.

It looks like there are no cafes or anywhere to stop on the way up and it’s supposed to pour rain all day tomorrow again. I’m thinking maybe I need to pack food for me and my daughter to eat along the way?

😂
I just checked Weather Channel and can see how you're kind of boxed in: strong chance of rain through Wednesday at least. However, the 97% chance on Monday becomes 83% by Tuesday. Would your schedule allow you to take a day off tomorrow -- Combarro's old town has some good restaurants -- maybe rest those sore feet a bit (you need to keep them dry) and then do the climb on Tuesday, when the weather report talks about "locally heavy rain"? That seems to open up the possibility of patches of sunshine on Tuesday. In any case, Buen Camino to you and your daughter!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last year, about halfway up there was a cooler with a variety of cold drinks you could take and a container to leave the cash. We also worried a lot about the climb, was only the 2nd day of walking for 2 of the 70 year olds and we arrived around noon from Combarro, and it wasn’t as bad as we thought it would be.

Just tell yourself that once you are completely soaked you are not going to get any wetter, so things won’t be getting worse. And it’s just water! There is something penitential about walking for hours and hours in the rain, but it will be a whole lot better if you can find a way to focus on something other than the weather while you walk. It’s the backdrop, you fill in the rest. I also think that @davejsy is right that you will look back on whatever the weather gods send you tomorrow and you will pat yourself on the back and realize that it all comes together in one big camino package - the hot days, the cold days, the rainy days, etc etc.

I remember walking into my hotel in Finisterre after a whole day of nothing but rain, and as soon as I was out of those clothes and in a hot shower, I was on top of the world. No permanent damage, just a real sense of ahhhhhhhhhh. It was so much more luxurious than the identical hot showers I had taken after non-rainy Camino days. Herman Melville has a passage that makes the point that unless you know cold, you cannot enjoy warm (or something like that). I think tomorrow will be your day to test that proposition!

Go get ‘em!

If you are staying in armenteria, it's going to be a short walk.
So, sleep in if you want, find a cafe for a late breakfast, stroll in the old part of Combarro appreciating the horreos and water views, get some snacks/drinks from the supermarket......then stroll up the hill.
No need to rush, not much to do in armenteria, aside from eat, sleep and visit the
monastery.

A bit steep at first, but its not for too long...stop often to catch your breath and look back and enjoy the scenery.

You can do this...you've already walked thus far, are much more camino fit than you were at day one.... you are stronger💪 than you give yourself credit.
And many other people are able to walk up this hill, not all of them are athletes, so it can't be that hard!

Now for some tough love....
You chose to do a camino, get on a plane or train to get the starting point. You have already told your friends and family you are going to walk to Santiago. You have already reserved accommodation for the night. You chose to be here.
So be grateful for the opportunity and tomorrow continue your journey..
Just keep moving, no more complaints or doubts....

EDIT
You are now learning that a camino is not just a physical challenge...time to challenge your mind.
How one mentally deals with changing terrain and weather, handling the day after
a poor nights sleep, the solitude of long hours on the path, self doubts, being in a foreign land, being out of our comfort zone...the important stuff.

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Well I’m alive! The up wasn’t nearly as bad as the down during the drenching pouring rain. I have to admit I was quite scared on the rocky downhills. I may have cried.

Now we’re staying at the Pousada Armenteira, what a funky place.

😂
Take your time! Beautiful view and a horse came by and joined us for a bit. Near the end of the neighborhood was a big cooler box with drinks in it for pilgrims . Some very nice person has done this!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well I’m alive! The up wasn’t nearly as bad as the down during the drenching pouring rain. I have to admit I was quite scared on the rocky downhills. I may have cried.

Hooray!
I cried on some of the rocky ascents/descents on the Norte last month. But you can't see your footing with flooded eyes, so.....
The route after Armenteira is unbelievably magical. Enjoy!

Well done Lauren!, can I ask please if you attended the nuns blessing in the monestario what time it was at and how far was it from Pousada Armenteira? Also, if anyone can answer is Ribadumia directly on the trail ? Looking for midway accommodation between Armenteira and Vilanove de Arousa. Thank you and buen camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Take your time! Beautiful view and a horse came by and joined us for a bit. Near the end of the neighborhood was a big cooler box with drinks in it for pilgrims . Some very nice person has done this!
We saw the horses too today, it was beautiful. I just get scared, can’t help it!

Well done Lauren!, can I ask please if you attended the nuns blessing in the monestario what time it was at and how far was it from Pousada Armenteira? Also, if anyone can answer is Ribadumia directly on the trail ? Looking for midway accommodation between Armenteira and Vilanove de Arousa. Thank you and buen camino.
Thank you!

It’s at 7pm tonight. We just showered and I’m trying to get some sleep but I have not been blessed with sleep on the Camino. We ARE staying at Ribadumia tomorrow, we are not going all the way to VdA.

Hooray!
I cried on some of the rocky ascents/descents on the Norte last month. But you can't see your footing with flooded eyes, so.....
The route after Armenteira is unbelievably magical. Enjoy!
Thank you for sharing that. I definitely get scared or frustrated and cry, today especially, and a few other days too.

I did witness several people slip and fall today’s so it was scary!

It’s all been so beautiful already, to hear that the most beauty is ahead is unimaginable! ❤️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hmmm... to late for the "walk tomorrow" - you already walked it
Pep talk for the future

Stop Whining - start walking!!!! 😤
SUCK IT UP, Lassie!!!!! 😤
No Walk - no Food!!!!! 😤
You are now a Pilgrim and thus you MUST SUFFER!!!!!! 😤

Don't you fret, Madam Lauren
You don't feel any pain
A little fall of rain
Can hardly hurt you now
You're there, that's all you need to know
Camino'll keep you safe
Camino'll keep you close
And rain will make the flowers grow

p.s. Are you NEW YORKER or are you from Joyzeee? 😳
(i.e. if you can make it THERE - then youz can make it anywhere!)​

Did that work? ;):D

On a serious note - (and yes WELL DONE PEREGRINA!) don't look at other folks, look at yourself and make sure you take very 'proper' safe steps, DO NOT HURRY no matter what and perhaps consider (if possible) to shorten your distances. I would humbly suggest anywhere 18-20km

Stay the Course, Carpe Diem, Buen Camino .... and all that JAZZZZ!~

Hmmm... to late for the "walk tomorrow" - you already walked it
Pep talk for the future

Stop Whining - start walking!!!! 😤
SUCK IT UP, Lassie!!!!! 😤
No Walk - no Food!!!!! 😤
You are now a Pilgrim and thus you MUST SUFFER!!!!!! 😤

Don't you fret, Madam Lauren
You don't feel any pain
A little fall of rain
Can hardly hurt you now
You're there, that's all you need to know
Camino'll keep you safe
Camino'll keep you close
And rain will make the flowers grow

p.s. Are you NEW YORKER or are you from Joyzeee? 😳
(i.e. if you can make it THERE - then youz can make it anywhere!)​

Did that work? ;):D

On a serious note - (and yes WELL DONE PEREGRINA!) don't look at other folks, look at yourself and make sure you take very 'proper' safe steps, DO NOT HURRY no matter what and perhaps consider (if possible) to shorten your distances. I would humbly suggest anywhere 18-20km

Stay the Course, Carpe Diam, Buen Camino .... and all that JAZZZZ!~
Haha thank you for all of this and the time you took to write to me! I am absolutely struggling more than I thought I would and I’m definitely feeling whiny!!

Maybe I should fuggedaboudit

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You are right to walk shorter days if you are tired and the weather is bad. You will better enjoy your arrival into Santiago when you are not totally exhausted. Its worth it all in the end.

Glad to hear you made it! Enjoy the water and stone walk! It was one of my favorite parts. I sauntered slowly as Like you I took 2 days to reach VdA. I found the best cup of tea in a cafe/bar that had tenting up and was just by the river as you enter the next town. Enjoy!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Knowing the weather forecast is useful for preparation (get your rain gear out) but not if you will let yourself worry about it. You may find it helpful to NOT look at the forecast.
I’m so glad I did not know in advance that the first ten days of my Via de la Plata would be in rain and that after one of them (day seven I think) there would be no hot shower!
A tip for getting up (and down) steep hills - take short slow steps. It honestly is so much easier than trying to rush.

It’s a tough climb but I assume you’re only going as far as Armenteira, so your day is pretty short. If you have a chance to attend the nuns’ pilgrim blessing at the monastery tomorrow night, that might be something enjoyable for both of you and a good learning experience for Natalie. The next day you will see the most beautiful scenery of your camino (the Stone and Water route) and since it’s in a thick forest, you should be able to enjoy it even in bad weather, although the path may be slippery. Unfortunately it rains a lot in Galicia, that’s just the way it is — to put a positive spin on it, try to appreciate all the greenery that the rain produces!
Well said! You’re coming into some amazing experiences.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

😂
You can do it. You can do it. You can do do do it. I'm singing this song to you and wishing you a wonderful day of walking. Don't push your body too hard but follow your heart 💜 ❤️ and enjoy the day. Blessings for you on your journey.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back