• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

National Famine Way

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May - July 2017
CF Oct - Nov 2017
Future -2022
Has anyone on the forums walked this? It looks fascinating.

This very much appeals to me as I am a Canadian of Irish descent. My family line also emigrated during the famine.

Help keep the Camino clean. Join us in 2025 for the Camino Cleanup Program & Retreat
I did the section in 2022 that is the Royal Canal Way (which misses the first section from Strokestown to Cloondara). (This was part of my camino from home). The royal canal way predates this newer addition of National Famine Way. There is a little booklet to get stamps in and the story of the march from Strokestown to port at Dublin is explored with a range of resources. The section following the Royal Canal is mainly offroad. The issue was accomodation- with limited availability in places, and sometimes creating some short or long days. It was very easy walking along the canal.
Also worthwhile when in Dublin is the "new" Epic musuem on emigration.

I saw this sobering memorial of the Irish famine on a road trip in 2013. I can't recall exactly where it was located, but somewhere in the west, possibly near the Crog Patrick pilgrimage hike.
The walk you mention looks interesting.
Screenshot_20241008-213055~2.png

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I saw this sobering memorial of the Irish famine on a road trip in 2013. I can't recall exactly where it was located, but somewhere in the west, possibly near the Crog Patrick pilgrimage hike.
Couldn't be closer, just across the road from the parking lot for the Croagh Patrick trail. We hiked that last year but we didn't know about the famine memorial nor see it; we have another famine memorial in Boston though.
Screenshot_20241008-155638.png

Couldn't be closer, just across the road from the parking lot for the Croagh Patrick trail. We hiked that last year but we didn't know about the famine memorial nor see it; we have another famine memorial in Boston though.
View attachment 178832
Rick, we hiked nearly halfway up Croagh Patrick, but had to turn back due to adverse weather near the top. I did not know about the Caminos at that time.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I've already posted in the Fisherman's Trail forum, but I think that all the beach/sand walking might be a no-go for my husband. My husband will accompany me to Europe next year for a vacation...
Has anyone on the forums walked this? It looks fascinating. https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20241004-irelands-heartbreaking-walk-of-forced-emigration This very much appeals to me as I am a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back