Search 69,459 Camino Questions

More rocks. Can you bear it?

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
I passed through Nájera today. To quote John Lennon, “ I just had to look”.
IMG_6927.jpeg
As you probably know, the red sandstone cliffs run right alongside the houses.

IMG_6930.jpeg
Definitely unusual. These red beds underly the whole area from near Navarette almost all the way to Santo Domingo. They are more than a kilometre thick. The humps sticking up around Nájera are remnants after the rivers have excavated a considerable volume from the top layers of the formation and dumped it in the Mediterranean via the Ebro. Come back in maybe half a million years and they’ll be gone.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
View attachment 172936

View attachment 172937
Definitely unusual. These red beds underlying the whole area from near Navarette almost all the way to Santo Domingo. They are more than a kilometre thick. The humps sticking up around Nájera are remnants after the rivers have excavated a considerable volume from the top layers of the formation and dumped it in the Mediterranean via the Ebro. Come back in maybe half a million years and they’ll be gone.
Paul,
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and photos. Spanning the Nájerilla river Nájera does indeed have a remarkable site beneath/beside those high red sandstone cliffs; According to Wikipedia "place between the rocks" is the Arabic name.
What will you show us next?

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
When I saw them it reminded me of Sedona, AZ. I enjoyed the view very much.... but I don't think I'll come back in a 1/2-million years
I googled it and found that as usual the US always has bragging rights for all things geological! Mind you, in my backyard (by Australian standards) we have this in Karijini National Park.IMG_3483.jpeg
(Not my photo: WA Tourist Commission.) The rocks are about 2.5 billion years older than Najera (just sayin’) I have written elsewhere that some of the Ebro Basin sediments are so recent geologically that they might as well have been trucked in.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
View attachment 172936

View attachment 172937
Definitely unusual. These red beds underly the whole area from near Navarette almost all the way to Santo Domingo. They are more than a kilometre thick. The humps sticking up around Nájera are remnants after the rivers have excavated a considerable volume from the top layers of the formation and dumped it in the Mediterranean via the Ebro. Come back in maybe half a million years and they’ll be gone.
This had to be my absolutely favorite little town on the CF. I could live there truly. So beautiful. The river. The duck weed. The ducks. The old men holding onto branches while skinny dipping in the river 😂. The other old men gathering to count the ducks. 🌺🦆. Priceless. Thank you for the memories

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 172936

View attachment 172937

Thank you for this different perspective and the good photos.

I have passed through Nájera twice and stayed there overnight once, but never gave a thought to the geology. I must learn to look upwards and ponder things more often.

Note to self: Add a Google Calendar reminder for June of 502,024 to check out the evolution of the geology there during my 124,998th CF that year 😁

NTS #2: And buy new boots.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi- I will be finishing up the Via Podiensis in a few days and then starting on the Frances from SJPDP. Is there any reason for me to visit the pilgrim office (and probably wait on a long line)...
I am an Old School Pilgrim, too set in my ways, I can understand and accept the Cell Phone priorities sweeping today's Pilgrim community back in the good old bad days coin-fed albergue computers...
I arrived on the Francés yesterday in Estella. Stayed in the Albergue Curtadores on the entry to town. Few pilgrims for a big albergue. And tonight I’m by myself at the one-of-a-kind Casa Tiago in...
i did the French way a couple of years ago from Roncesvalles, right after covid. i’m elderly and very slow. i would like to return in 2025, to do it again while my body may still let me. last...
I passed through Nájera today. To quote John Lennon, “ I just had to look”. As you probably know, the red sandstone cliffs run right alongside the houses. Definitely unusual. These red beds...
Hello from Roncesvalles! My husband and I made it safely through the fog to the monastery from Borda this morning. Now looking forward to our next accommodations. Please note: There are lots of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.