Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Memorable Camino Characters

TCG

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi all - I'm a filmmaker from the UK. Ever since I walked the Camino Frances in 2022 I've been hoping to make a documentary about it and I'm doing some preliminary research at the moment.

Rather than following one person's journey, I want the film to be a collage of the huge range of interesting people and places along the way that make the camino so special.

I would love to know if there are any people you met along the Camino Frances (albergue owners, shopkeepers, volunteers, doctors, local mayors, farmers, eternal pilgrims, shepherds... whoever!) who were particularly memorable, and why!

Thanks so much.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A few people i found memorable and i guess they have some stories to tell:
- not a exact person, but whoever runs Anfas Hostel in Estella might have a story
- Marcelinho who sits in the Park when you leave Logrono
- Jose Luis from the paroquial albergue in Tosantos
- the guy with the rasta hat that works in the hotel and albergue in Boadilla d. Camino
- Sinis (Siniz?) who runs Elvis Bar in Reliegos
- Tomas the last Templar from Manjarin

sure i forgotten some and have not met more

Hi all - I'm a filmmaker from the UK. Ever since I walked the Camino Frances in 2022 I've been hoping to make a documentary about it and I'm doing some preliminary research at the moment.

Rather than following one person's journey, I want the film to be a collage of the huge range of interesting people and places along the way that make the camino so special.

I would love to know if there are any people you met along the Camino Frances (albergue owners, shopkeepers, volunteers, doctors, local mayors, farmers, eternal pilgrims, shepherds... whoever!) who were particularly memorable, and why!

Thanks so much.
Names of people will probably be mentioned, will these people be informed if they are in the documentary?🙏🏻

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Father(?) Joyful who I met in Atapuerca in 2017 walking barefoot in a Monks robe. Not ordained in any way, the Master (not what you think) told him to walk to Santiago and await the next message. I asked what he was going to do if he didn’t receive a message, he said he’d hang out in Spain until they threw him out or, go home and play Bass for Florida Georgia Line. Saw him again in Burgos and always wondered what happened. He was from Santa Cruz, CA which may explain a lot.

I have to reply to this thread. My first CF I met an absolutely incredible person in Molinaseca. I will not give name as I do not have permission. He lived/lives? there, originally from the USA, worked as a volunteer in the small church. Met him doing talks and support for pilgrims. Maybe he's a known person in here, what do I know. Was in September 23. PM me if questions.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
the guy with the rasta hat that works in the hotel and albergue in Boadilla d. Camino

Eduardo
- not a exact person, but whoever runs Anfas Hostel in Estella might have a story
- the guy with the rasta hat that works in the hotel and albergue in Boadilla d. Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Names of people will probably be mentioned, will these people be informed if they are in the documentary?🙏🏻

Hi Peter, to clarify I’m looking for people who I might be able to visit and film in person. So no one mentioned on this thread would be featured in the documentary unless they gave their informed consent to be filmed

This forum's member, @gmag is not a "character" in the sense of the word, but he owns an albergue in Fromista with his wife. I have had several communications with him over the years and he is a kind and gentle soul, although he was recently thinking of selling his property. He is also an artist.

As mentioned in post #2, definitely Sinis, who runs the Elvis bar in Reliegos. A unique experience I will never forget.

While heading towards Astorga in 2015 and again in 2017, a Spaniard sat on the hill (Alto Santo Toribio) at the cross while enthusiastically playing the guitar and singing. I was surprised to see him both times.

How about David, who has lived on the Camino and also walked the Camino barefoot. His "hippie" looking place is an Oasis with wonderful fruit and nuts available to pilgrims and operates as a donativo. With his long dark hair and startling blue eyes, he is a kind soul not easily forgotten. I had my one and only watermelon slice on any Camino I have been on; it was so refreshing on a rather warm day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This forum's member, @gmag is not a "character" in the sense of the word, but he owns an albergue in Fromista with his wife. I have had several communications with him over the years and he is a kind and gentle soul, although he was recently thinking of selling his property. He is also an artist.

As mentioned in post #2, definitely Sinis, who runs the Elvis bar in Reliegos. A unique experience I will never forget.

While heading towards Astorga in 2015 and again in 2017, a Spaniard sat on the hill (Alto Santo Toribio) at the cross while enthusiastically playing the guitar and singing. I was surprised to see him both times.

How about David, who has lived on the Camino and also walked the Camino barefoot. His "hippie" looking place is an Oasis with wonderful fruit and nuts available to pilgrims and operates as a donativo. With his long dark hair and startling blue eyes, he is a kind soul not easily forgotten. I had my one and only watermelon slice on any Camino I have been on; it was so refreshing on a rather warm day.
Chrissy, is that David who is just 10 km past Astorga, runs a donativo with a drum set in the common room downstairs?

Thanks so much.
Elena, owner of La Perla Negra in Azqueta. She is a lovely and interesting person who provides a wonderful experience to her guests.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have to reply to this thread. My first CF I met an absolutely incredible person in Molinaseca. I will not give name as I do not have permission. He lived/lives? there, originally from the USA, worked as a volunteer in the small church. Met him doing talks and support for pilgrims. Maybe he's a known person in here, what do I know. Was in September 23. PM me if questions.
I know exactly who you mean, met him walking around the grounds of Iglesia de San Nicolás de Bari in Molinaseca. Amazing guy and great story. He is friends with the couple that run Casa San Nicolas (also good Camino Characters) not far from there. I am walking the Frances again and I just reached to him to see if we can share a meal. I think he started caminoquestions.com as well.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Camino Frances
east of the Cruz de Santo Toribio
Casa de los Dioses

At the Casa de los Dioses, a remote haven of camino caritas.
David Vidal created/maintained this simple oasis on the inland CF path west of Santibanez de Valdeiglesias/east of the Cruz de Santo Toribio amidst a vast plain with sweeping vistas. He offered friendly conversation plus a seat and coffee, tea, juices, fruits and cookies to those who passed.

What was most plentiful at the Casa de los Dioses was David's special spirit and unconditional, selfless love.

As I read your post, it at first made me feel vaguely uncomfortable. I've thought more about it. This request is opening up a questionable area of privacy by asking forum members to provide names and location information of people along the camino for your benefit without any knowledge or confirmation of who you are and your credentials as a filmmaker. Perhaps you should provide information about who you are and to be very transparent about your intentions for this documentary.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Frances
east of the Cruz de Santo Toribio
Casa de los Dioses

At the Casa de los Dioses, a remote haven of camino caritas.
David Vidal created/maintained this simple oasis on the inland CF path west of Santibanez de Valdeiglesias/east of the Cruz de Santo Toribio amidst a vast plain with sweeping vistas. He offered friendly conversation plus a seat and coffee, tea, juices, fruits and cookies to those who passed.

What was most plentiful at the Casa de los Dioses was David's special spirit and unconditional, selfless love.
I believe his nephew has taken over day to day, it’s still there when I went through on April 29th, and I did see David as well which surprised me for some reason. Still a special place.

Thanks so much.
I am afraid that I don’t remember names , but in Logronia I met a man dressed like a Hobbit ( broad brimmed black hat fro Patagonia( South America, the bottom) who was walking barefoot. He spoke a language no one understood but had some Spanish. He indicated that he had never worn shoe and the soles of his feet were a half inch thick. The other memorable pilgrim was a German Lutheran Nun who walked in a long black cape and no other gear . The cape had inside pockets for her few possessions. She had no money and I bought her meals until Santiago. We stayed in the monestary across the way. She slept in her robe on the bed. She sang hymns while she walked.

the guy with the rasta hat that works in the hotel and albergue in Boadilla d. Camino

Eduardo
Eduardo!!! Yes absolutely - I second that absolutely he’s a very interesting caring character. First met him in 2014
at En El Camino in Boadilla

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Find some pilgrim who walks carrying an espresso machine and coffee bean grinder. They surface now and then.
Omg coffee pot from the us ?? In Sep/oct 2018 he took the contraption because he didn't think he'd get good coffee in Spain?? He's done it more than once ??? I was surprised he wasn't dragging a trolly with red wine and a leg of good old American jambon... because you can never be too sure !

Omg coffee pot from the us ?? In Sep/oct 2018 he took the contraption because he didn't think he'd get good coffee in Spain?? He's done it more than once ??? I was surprised he wasn't dragging a trolly with red wine and a leg of good old American jambon... because you can never be too sure !
The story I heard was about an Italian guy. I guess there are many demanding conoisseurs!

As I read your post, it at first made me feel vaguely uncomfortable. I've thought more about it. This request is opening up a questionable area of privacy by asking forum members to provide names and location information of people along the camino for your benefit without any knowledge or confirmation of who you are and your credentials as a filmmaker. Perhaps you should provide information about who you are and to be very transparent about your intentions for this documentary.
Hi - thanks for your message.

I've thought about the point you raised regarding privacy, and of course, I certainly wouldn't want anyone to share any third party contact information / home addresses etc. via a public forum. I do think the level of personal information people are sharing is in line with what might be found on a travel blog / review website / other threads on this forum, and which would commonly be shared when, for example, asking for tips on which albergues to stay in, which shops to visit etc. In any case, as I mentioned in an earlier reply, the only way any of the people mentioned in this thread would feature in the documentary is if they gave explicit consent to take part.

As for me, this is my website: https://tomgarmeson.com/ . I have worked in factual television and news media here in the UK for several years, but this project is being carried out independently by myself and a fellow filmmaker I met on the camino in 2022. We're self-funding the project and if all goes well, we hope to submit the finished film to festivals down the line. As I mentioned above I'm still very much in the research stage at the moment trying to gather ideas, but I want the documentary to show the rich diversity of people and places along the camino to try and give a sense of why walking it is so special.

Thanks again and I really appreciate all of the suggestions people have shared so far.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

I've thought about the point you raised regarding privacy, and of course, I certainly wouldn't want anyone to share any third party contact information / home addresses etc. via a public forum. I do think the level of personal information people are sharing is in line with what might be found on a travel blog / review website / other threads on this forum, and which would commonly be shared when, for example, asking for tips on which albergues to stay in, which shops to visit etc. In any case, as I mentioned in an earlier reply, the only way any of the people mentioned in this thread would feature in the documentary is if they gave explicit consent to take part.

As for me, this is my website: https://tomgarmeson.com/ . I have worked in factual television and news media here in the UK for several years, but this project is being carried out independently by myself and a fellow filmmaker I met on the camino in 2022. We're self-funding the project and if all goes well, we hope to submit the finished film to festivals down the line. As I mentioned above I'm still very much in the research stage at the moment trying to gather ideas, but I want the documentary to show the rich diversity of people and places along the camino to try and give a sense of why walking it is so special.

Thanks again and I really appreciate all of the suggestions people have shared so far.

Very nice portfolio!

Father(?) Joyful who I met in Atapuerca in 2017 walking barefoot in a Monks robe. Not ordained in any way, the Master (not what you think) told him to walk to Santiago and await the next message. I asked what he was going to do if he didn’t receive a message, he said he’d hang out in Spain until they threw him out or, go home and play Bass for Florida Georgia Line. Saw him again in Burgos and always wondered what happened. He was from Santa Cruz, CA which may explain a lot.
Apparently I wasn’t the only person who encountered the good Father.

He was a character.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
How about Ivar who started this forum?
Also, for me, much of the magic has been the other pilgrims I have met along the way....someone whose wife had just taken her life, someone whose marriage had just fallen apart after fifty years, an American lass who had just been accepted to doctoral programmes in a dozen top notch English universities, someone who had been paralysed and told they would never walk again but they prayed and there they were walking four months later, a couple from Israel with a baby and toddler, a honeymooning couple, two ladies from Ukraine who had lost everything, a kid trying to kick is cocaine habit, a father and his thirteen year old son who he wanted to connect with before it was too late after realising he had placed too much emphasis on serving others, lots of people at transition points wondering what next?.....

Elena, owner of La Perla Negra in Azqueta. She is a lovely and interesting person who provides a wonderful experience to her guests.
Helena, owner of La Perla Negra is indeed a unique individual. She’s a single Mom, and struggled through COVID with little income. Beyond that, she recognized I was having a very hard time and managed to slip a Camino-shell bracelet and lovely, encouraging note, unseen for 3 days, into my backpack. Her thoughtful, kind act brought me to tears. I wrote to thank her when I found it, and will always treasure it and her handwritten note to me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I found the very best accommodations of my Camino in Castrojeriz. The hospitalero at Quinta San Francisco was so very kind and, clearly, exemplifies the spirit of the Camino:

It’s Eduardo who owns and runs the Albergue and hotel in Boadilla del Camino. He is indeed a character. Tim Moore wrote about him in his book, Spanish Steps: Travels with My Donkey

Edit: sorry, just realised I’m the 4th person to point out it’s Eduardo 😂

Last edited:
How about Ivar who started this forum?
Also, for me, much of the magic has been the other pilgrims I have met along the way....someone whose wife had just taken her life, someone whose marriage had just fallen apart after fifty years, an American lass who had just been accepted to doctoral programmes in a dozen top notch English universities, someone who had been paralysed and told they would never walk again but they prayed and there they were walking four months later, a couple from Israel with a baby and toddler, a honeymooning couple, two ladies from Ukraine who had lost everything, a kid trying to kick is cocaine habit, a father and his thirteen year old son who he wanted to connect with before it was too late after realising he had placed too much emphasis on serving others, lots of people at transition points wondering what next?.....
Absolutely. Everyone I’ve met on Caminos has a story.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I looked at the final one on the display pane. You are not intrusive on that one, so I look forward to viewing the others. Retirement? What a joke! I will find time, though. Your art is obvious.
I thank @Theatregal for enquiring, because it drew you out. I see you have form. Gosh, I never needed to say that before! Amazing what exposure to written material - remember books? 🤣- can do, unobtrusively, to expand our knowledge.
Seriously, I look forward to hearing more of how you manage to pursue your goal. I will think, and while many others will offer suggestions, I can't promise to add much, my experience is limited. I will just say here that Eduardo is only the son of his big hearted mother. She was la Dueña of the establishment in 2006 when we had the great good fortune to stay there. That place was a taste of whatever heaven was advertised as in my childhood!😇

I also met Father Joyful in 2017. This is what I wrote at the time:

We've come across a few characters on the trail, but none quite like Father Joyful, who we met today. He's an "independent monk" who is "between religions", and says his heroes are all saints and guitar players. He's walking the Camino barefoot, doing about 6-12km per day, and by donation. We gave him some coins in exchange for a photo and a few words of wisdom.

IMG_9395.jpeg

Thanks so much.
One of the most Memorable Characters I met Camino Frances in May 2024 was a ( unfortunately unnamed) bloke, long white bread, wearing loose garments and a woven pointed beanie!!! He was living in cottage about 3 km from Castrojeriz. He was extremely friendly, spiritual, and full of wisdoms for pilgrims. Great thought provoking quotes that were delivered with complete clarity. He was engaging and sane.
A rare insight into years of experience with pilgrims and insightful message. His hut was located next to the San Anton ruins, where the Yellow way by road to Castrojeriz is on the right hand side. An alternative way to Castrojeriz ( I recommend) is a dirt track on the left side of The ruins. The track crosses the Arroyo del Garbanzuela. The said gentlemans hut was on its banks. In Castrojeriz he recommended a visit to the House of Silence in Castrojeriz …that’s another story.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
any people you met along the Camino Frances … who were particularly memorable, and why
Just before the fuente de vino in Irache is a blacksmith who makes and sells good iron artwork. He offers a nice sello for your credencial and possible a very small iron seashell. Good conversation if you can speak Spanish. He did a great job making for me a pair of bookends I designed.

The Cuban gentleman who runs the San-Bol municipal, my first stop after Burgos. He was very kind and accommodating in a very small facility providing a mattress on the floor for a pilgrim when there were no more beds. He ran over to Hontanas to get transported bags. He was all alone providing us refreshments as we wandered into the Albergue. He cooked a lovely Paella for dinner and then serenaded us during the feast. That night was my most memorable. The beauty of his voice, his kindness and spirit will never be forgotten as long as I live. I think if he's still there, he would be a stellar edition to your documentary.

Eduardo!!! Yes absolutely - I second that absolutely he’s a very interesting caring character. First met him in 2014
at En El Camino in Boadilla
Yes Eduardo is great ! He and his family run the albergue and the hotel

I was there 2 times ( 2018 and 2022) always a pleasure to watch Eduarfo
rimking ftom
One table to another for morning breakfasts and other meals always with a big smile

He might be a live encyvlopefoa of the Camino
!!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Yes Eduardo is great ! He and his family run the albergue and the hotel

I was there 2 times ( 2018 and 2022) always a pleasure to watch Eduarfo
rimking ftom
One table to another for morning breakfasts and other meals always with a big smile

He might be a live encyvlopefoa of the Camino
!!
Encyclopédia…sorry

Is Marcelino still around as you are leaving Logroño? I believe Felisa and Maria (mother and then daughter) are no longer still with us at the entrance to that city with their figs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I also met Father Joyful in 2017. This is what I wrote at the time:

We've come across a few characters on the trail, but none quite like Father Joyful, who we met today. He's an "independent monk" who is "between religions", and says his heroes are all saints and guitar players. He's walking the Camino barefoot, doing about 6-12km per day, and by donation. We gave him some coins in exchange for a photo and a few words of wisdom.

View attachment 175851
Does anyone know if he is still on the Camino?

Thanks so much.

Each one of these people gave so much love and care for us as pilgrims and added magic to my Camino.

Joseph from Beilari Gite in Saint Jean Pied de Port

Santi from Order of Malta in Cizur Menor

Angel from Casa de Angel in Navarrete

Jose Luis from Albergue Parroquial de Peregrinos in Tosantos

Jacopo from Ermitas de San Nicolas

Padre Paco from O’cebreiro

Teresa from Ermita de la Virgen de Monasterio in Rabe de las Calzadas

They all sound like stars among...along a river of stars
Wandering firefly souls lighting the way at the right time,in the right place

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Is Marcelino still around as you are leaving Logroño? I believe Felisa and Maria (mother and then daughter) are no longer still with us at the entrance to that city with their figs.

No, they are no longer alive.
The mother, Felisa Medel Mediavilla died in 2002, 92 years old.
Her daughter, María Teodora Mediavilla Rodríguez took over her mother's job, and she died March 15 2022, 87 years old.
You can see a beautiful video of María here: https://aeon.co/videos/marias-life-...grims-passing-by-on-spains-camino-de-santiago

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back