This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Marching in March

steve392

Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2018
2025 upcoming
Hey guys.

I'm looking into walking the Frances next year starting on 4th March.
Nothing is set in stone yet so was wondering who has started at this time of year?
Any advise? Is everything open? Is transport running? Weather? All the usual questions but relating specifically to March.
This will be my 3rd Camino and probably my last (for reasons that I may get into later but will send the thread off topic) so would love to dip into the bags of experience from those that have walked at this time of year.

As usual, many thanks in advance.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Most albergues, many bars and restaurants will still be closed in March next year. A lot of places only open in Holy Week and next year Easter is quite late - April 20th. That will limit your choice of accommodation and might mean that you have to walk some longer stages than you might want. Weather is very unpredictable.

We walked this past March 1-15 on the Frances (Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga). Many towns had no services for pilgrims. We had made reservations in advance to help us plan our stages. We loved the quiet of a March Camino but were glad we were experienced pilgrims. We always had food/water/clothing options to deal with any eventuality. We plan to resume our Camino mid-March 2025. Plan ahead and you'll be fine.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As you probably know, the Napoleon route is closed until the first of April, so if you start from SJPdP it will be on the Valcarlos route.

As far as weather goes, this site is helpful:

We started on the Frances (Sahagun) on March 1 two years ago. Had the same experience as Bradypus with albergues and also hotels. Many places we called told us they would not open till Easter. It was also colder than we expected. The cool weather was great for hiking but many indoor places such as restaurants and hotels were not heated. Brrrr.

Last edited:
I am thinking of starting from SJPP around 18 -20 March 2025, so all replies are appreciated by me. Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum