• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maintaining weight on Camino

Loman

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning at least a weeks worth from St Jean in April or Sept (2017)
Where do I find weighing scales along the Camino?

I went to a lot of trouble to get my weight down in ‘23, having reached worrying levels, and so far I am doing well at keeping it down. For that, I need to watch the scales regularly and adjust intake accordingly.

I expect things to be quite different on my first CF in mid Sept. Energy output will go up and food intake will increase to match it. The danger is that I have far less control over diet away from home. So I need to weigh myself every few days to know how I am getting on.

How common are public weighing scales (for humans) along the route and where should I look for them? Pharmacies, supermarkets?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm sorry, I can't help you with the question of where you can find public scales.

But, what I did when I didn't have access to one for a long time: I took a tape measure with me. It's light and small, so it's no problem to take one with you.

The circumference of your stomach, hips and chest are at least as good an indicator of whether you are gaining or losing weight.

I think a fairly common phenomenon over the course of a 30+ day Camino is weight loss. What I found was that although I was walking on the average six hours a day, my appetite did not increase proportionally to the amount of physical activity that I was doing. At the end of the day I did not want to eat the whole cow! Therefore, I did not find myself eating more than I would normally eat. If anything, maybe a little less. Of course, if you were on a very reduced calorie intake plan prior to your Camino, then yes, intake might have to be greater. So, for me, eating and drinking reasonably lead to a weight loss of about 10 pounds.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've done 4 caminos so far and I lost no weight in any of them (or put on weight).
Apart from my own data, I can't say if its common or not as I have no idea about other people.
If you are on a restricted diet of some type I can understand weight loss, but apart from that.......

I've done 4 caminos so far and I lost no weight in any of them (or put on weight).
I've never lost a significant amount of weight on a Spanish Camino but I did lose over 400g 200g per day walking from Canterbury to Rome. So many different factors involved: distance per day, weight of pack, availability and affordability of food, loss of appetite during hot weather.... It is not a simple question and weight gain/loss will be a very individual matter.

Edit: unit conversion error. I lost a little over 200g per day - not 400g!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In every single pharmacy in Spain. I suspect they are obliged to have one.
You need a 20 or 50 cents coin. From my experience, mostly 20 cents on the Frances and 50 cents on del Norte.
Interesting! This is really good information. I'll be in Spain for an extended time this winter (non-Camino, sigh.... ☹️) and will need to use a scale several times. Nice to know.

The usual caveats that we are all different but I'd think that a normal person carrying their pack and walking across a country will lose a bit of weight. Calories out against boccadillos in... always seems to help me lose some. ( 2-3kg per camino on average)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Are you hoping to keep your weight down or your body fat percentage? If you are mostly wanting to monitor/maintain your body fat at a particular level you could do pinch tests rather than weigh yourself. Google "pinch test for body fat" or "skin fold calipers" to find sites to explain how to do that. That might be easier during travel because scales are hard to find but you could carry skin fold calipers with you. Or if high accuracy is not essential, just develop a consistent way of doing it with your fingers.

Note that muscle is heavier than fat so if you do develop more muscle during the Camino you might weigh more but actually have a lower percentage of body fat.

I went to a lot of trouble to get my weight down in ‘23, having reached worrying levels, and so far I am doing well at keeping it down. For that, I need to watch the scales regularly and adjust intake accordingly.

I expect things to be quite different on my first CF in mid Sept. Energy output will go up and food intake will increase to match it. The danger is that I have far less control over diet away from home. So I need to weigh myself every few days to know how I am getting on.

How common are public weighing scales (for humans) along the route and where should I look for them? Pharmacies, supermarkets?
It’s pointless to do this on the Camino because no two scales are calibrated the same. Go by what you look like in the mirror and how your clothes fit. I need to lose 30 pounds, and I last weighed myself the day I left. I figure I’m probably down 10 pounds after 2.5 weeks.

I consider that I ate like a nice little cochon and maybe even a not so little....:)
Usually 4-5 small meals a day starting with Dessayno Numero Uno somewhere around 8:00AM and finishing off with Menu del Peregrino or del Dia perhaps around 7:00PM. Did not eat anything after that and didnt have a crave for it either.
Still lost about 15 lbs
The daily burning of the calories is quite staggering

Cannot help you with your questions (although I would think that what @OldHands said makes perfect sense) but I can offer this thought:
If your backpack is reasonably the same weight day-in-and-out and you start feeling that it is "heavier" chances are you're packing on some pounds. If its the reverse - you're probably either losing or at least nicely maintaining and swapping fat for muscle

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
so far I am doing well at keeping it down
Congratulations, stay focused!
and food intake will increase
Maybe, but be careful with what food you increase it by.

There is so much BREAD on the camino. Bread for breakfast, bread for lunch, and bread with dinner. It is so easy to just eat it all, especially the bocadillos (big, filled rolls) at lunchtime, and the bread served with dinner.

So I try NOT to eat bread after my chunk(s) of toast at breakfast.

I really enjoy fried eggs and chips for lunch (if I can’t get a menu del dia).

Then dinner will be very light, usually a few tapas with a glass of wine. If I want to be social and join people at the pilgrim menu, then I choose the lightest options for each course: usually the mixed salad as the first course, fish for the second, and a piece of fruit for the dessert.

Some people need lots of calories, others very few. We all seem to have different metabolisms.

Good luck and stay focused that you don’t put weight back on!

Hi! I wish you well on your Camino!
Not a clue about scales!
Everybody is different i yoyo up and down with my weight!
I burn between 4000 and 6000 calories a day according to my fit bit!
I am a 6feet 2 inch tall guy and i carry my pack i also really love my food ; but on my first two Camino's i lost between 9 and 10 kilos each time!
It's harder than you think walking miles everyday don't under estimate the effort you need to put in!
Don't go without ;get enough food and water inside you to get you to Santiago
Buen Camino
Woody

As @Bradypus observed “loss of appetite during hot weather” can be a big factor. There is a chance of high temperatures in September. I found I struggled to eat enough for the first 10 days of the VdlP in late April, early May last year when temperatures were in the mid to high 30s. Everyone is different obviously but getting sufficient calories is important given the effort involved in walking 20+ kilometres a day with your gear on your back.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I started eating low carb* about a year before my Sep/Oct 2021 CF, and lost about 16 pounds/7kg by the time I left for Spain. Upon my return home, I discovered that I had lost an additional 16lbs/7kg. I probably lost more over the 32 days I walked, but my wife and some of my kids met me in Madrid afterwards and I'm sure I gained a bit over those six days of sightseeing and eating out every meal!

When calling home from the Camino, my wife would ask me about my weight. I never knew what it was because I never spotted a scale, but I did know I was losing more. I didn't think to check the farmacias, but that makes sense.

*definitely hard to avoid carbs on the Camino (bread, fries/chips, tortillas, cañas(!)), but I bought avocados, sardines, and hard-boiled eggs (huevos cocidos) to carry as snacks whenever I could find them, and mostly chose the lower carb options at restaurants and albergues.

Thanks for all the replies. I can measure weight frequently and easily, unlike body fat. So my target is weight related. I got from 126.6 to 100.7 kg as of this morning, and that is more or less what my weight has been since early December last. I understand about variation between scales but I don’t think that invalidates the exercise. I expect to apply a margin of error and only react if I consistently go outside that. One or two errant results can be noted but ignored until a clear pattern emerges The trick will be to get to know what level of consumption keeps my weight within bounds. I am used to tightening and loosening the reins on treats as required

Glad that so many of you lost weight, seemingly without conscious dieting. I plan to loose another 10 kg so that the BMI experts only consider me “pre-obese”. I had not expected to start that next phase until after the Camino and would be happy to return home at the same weight I am now, knowing that I will probably have replaced fat with muscle and therefore slimmed down a bit in appearance if not on the scales.

All of this has to be kept in proportion of course. The Camino is not a health spa

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The reason for considering this at all is that I only seem to be able to control weight at home. When I am on holidays, away from my usual foods, I tend to let fly. On a week in Seville last year I gained an astonishing 7kg! Granted, 4kg disappeared very quickly . Must have been mostly retained fluid. No smart comments about my wine consumption please! Still left a sizeable repair job to be done. I am a bit wiser since but I am not going to totally ignore the wonderful Spanish cuisine, especially in Galicia. I just need to keep tabs on it so that I can respond before it gets totally out of hand.

Nobody who has never been seriously over weight can possibly understand the effect of years of failed diets, low self confidence and self-blaming. And nobody who has never come back from such a situation can ever appreciate the anxiety about the danger of having it happen again.

I dont recall seeing scales anywhere. I know Ive lost weight, when my shorts fall down.
That's when the safety pins for washing came in handy.
I find I dont eat more on Camino, I think the endorphins from walking may reduce hunger (untested theory)

It probably helps not being around food all day, at home I can visit the pantry or fridge whenever I like, on Camino I eat at bars/cafes etc, and then leave. I also dont like walking on a very full stomach, so I dont have big breakfasts etc for that reason.
I don't carry much food with me, usually only an apple or a banana.
I do find that after the first few weeks I get heartily sick of some food items - french fries, thin chewy fried meat (maybe its pork), and bocadillos, and wouldn't care if I never saw them again.

I also find prefer my food unsalted, or lightly salted, so that can also reduce my consumption.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Yes all “farmacias “ in Spain have a scale available and they are accurate . In every town there is always one open even after hours , look for farmacia de guardia with the sign usually a Red Cross illuminated . Good luck .

If you go into Farmacias they have scales. I have used them

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think a fairly common phenomenon over the course of a 30+ day Camino is weight loss. What I found was that although I was walking on the average six hours a day, my appetite did not increase proportionally to the amount of physical activity that I was doing. At the end of the day I did not want to eat the whole cow! Therefore, I did not find myself eating more than I would normally eat. If anything, maybe a little less. Of course, if you were on a very reduced calorie intake plan prior to your Camino, then yes, intake might have to be greater. So, for me, eating and drinking reasonably lead to a weight loss of about 10 pounds.
I had no idea that pharmacies have weight scales!! I too never gained or lost weight (5 Caminos).

I walked 220 km on my last Camino and I ate and drunk my self senseless over the 220km . I weighed myself at home ready to face the music and I had gained 1.2kg .. it was worth it..still laugh about it

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss to date, you are doing so well. I know from my own experience that it can be a tough and long road. So well done you and you will reap the rewards of that on your camino in terms of less wear and tear on your body, general fitness etc etc.

I'm guessing from your message that you are planning a long camino (> 2 weeks). I think that on a long camino like that you are more likely to lose or maintain weight (though build leg muscle!) than to gain weight. Of course it does no harm to try to general make good choices for food which can be a challenge.

What I find that works for me is to eat a substantial lunch (around 3 pm) with a menu del día and then only have light snack if anything in the evening. For the 3 course menu I will have everything though I do focus on making sure I get plenty of vegetables (salad or bean type 1st course) and protein (fish or meat 2nd course). If dessert is home made I think it is usual well worth the calories.

Not eating much in the evening does mean that I'm hungry in the morning so I try to have a light snack to start on the hoof (fruit, nuts, yogurt) and then maybe a tostada con tomate (toast with tomato and add queso/cheese if they/I have it) or tortilla. I still try to avoid eating much bread but often take the menu del día bread as my emergency snack stash to combine with some cheese etc at a later time.

A really good option is to buy a carton of gazpacho, it's a great hit of vegetables salt and liquid - have some for supper and the rest for breakfast. Really low calorie but satisfying, rehydrating etc

But over all, relax and enjoy the camino!
You have worked really hard for your health and this is the payoff. Try to avoid being too focused on calories/carbs etc - this is only for 4 or 6 weeks and you will be exerting alot of energy and effort. Listen to your body - rest when you need to rest, eat when you need to eat. Drink so much water! And enjoy it... And then just remember to return to your habits of weight loss when you get back home... That usually is the bigger challenge!!

Buen camino! Hope this is of help.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What I find that works for me is to eat a substantial lunch (around 3 pm) with a menu del día and then only have light snack if anything in the evening. For the 3 course menu I will have everything though I do focus on making sure I get plenty of vegetables (salad or bean type 1st course) and protein (fish or meat 2nd course). If dessert is home made I think it is usual well worth the calories.
I want to add that often there are choices for desert and fruits and yogurt may appear among them.

Not eating much in the evening does mean that I'm hungry in the morning so I try to have a light snack to start on the hoof (fruit, nuts, yogurt) and then maybe a tostada con tomate (toast with tomato and add queso/cheese if they/I have it) or tortilla. I still try to avoid eating much bread but often take the menu del día bread as my emergency snack stash to combine with some cheese etc at a later time.

A really good option is to buy a carton of gazpacho, it's a great hit of vegetables salt and liquid - have some for supper and the rest for breakfast. Really low calorie but satisfying, rehydrating etc
All of this is excellent advice - emphasizing the menu del dia. Avoid the cheaper menu del peregrino like the plague, as it's starch-heavy and quality-light.

Most read last week in this forum

Where do I find weighing scales along the Camino? I went to a lot of trouble to get my weight down in ‘23, having reached worrying levels, and so far I am doing well at keeping it down. For that...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back