• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage weight limit on Camino Podiensis from Le Puy to Conques. How strict are they with the 13kg limit?

Intrepid Jenny S

Time of past OR future Camino
CF twice, Camino del Norte, (Norte again, Le Puy, Portuguese)
Le Puy to Conques. How strict are they with the 13kg limit for luggage transort

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’ve never seen anyone doing luggage transport weighing a bag.

If you’re concerned, or if you’re not comfortable sticking to the carriers terms of service whilst still expecting them to carry out their part of the contract, use two bags?
Hi,
I am only worried about being 1 or 2 kgs over. Last year on the Norte the lady from Correos was weighing a lot and upset by even 0.5kgs over.

13kg allows for a lot of gear and clothing unless you’re planning on transporting your own wine as well
This walk is only part of a long trip - I travel a long way to get to Europe so I will make the most of it.

I appreciate that. You’re coming from a long distance to Europe. But even on a 6 or 8 week trip I’ve never been anywhere near 13kg for my luggage. Except on the way home with a few souvenirs. That’s the limit at which most airlines start charging plenty extra dinero for even letting you on the plane.

My well meant advice is take a long critical look at what you’re packing. Replacement cosmetic consumables, underwear, clothing are all readily available in Yerp. If you’re planning two very different experiences: Camino and some touristic ventures then look at what will serve both purposes and what could be left in a repository or forwarded to Santiago or wherever. Look at what you need not what you’d like to have.

Buen Camino and Bon Vacance

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Hi,
I am only worried about being 1 or 2 kgs over. Last year on the Norte the lady from Correos was weighing a lot and upset by even 0.5kgs over.
Yup, try swinging 40 or 50 pieces of 13kg luggage in and out of hotel receptions and vans and out again and into the next hotel and go again and again. Then try it with 14 or 15kg. Your little bit extra is someone else’s working day, not their gym club workout. The weight limits are set after careful risk assessment and review. But hey, maybe they should just employ fitter people

Yup, try swinging 40 or 50 pieces of 13kg luggage in and out of hotel receptions and vans and out again and into the next hotel and go again and again. Then try it with 14 or 15kg. Your little bit extra is someone else’s working day, not their gym club workout. The weight limits are set after careful risk assessment and review. But hey, maybe they should just employ fitter people
La Malle Postale are pretty particular when it comes to bag weight ... if you know that you are over the 13kg limit I would decant the excess into a separate bag or suitcase ...

absolutely agree!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Le Puy to Conques. How strict are they with the 13kg limit for luggage transort
Jenny, I have no personal experience with luggage transport however I know from friends that some of the carriers can be extremely strict.
I appreciate that. You’re coming from a long distance to Europe. But even on a 6 or 8 week trip I’ve never been anywhere near 13kg for my luggage. Except on the way home with a few souvenirs. That’s the limit at which most airlines start charging plenty extra dinero for even letting you on the plane.

My well meant advice is take a long critical look at what you’re packing. Replacement cosmetic consumables, underwear, clothing are all readily available in Yerp. If you’re planning two very different experiences: Camino and some touristic ventures then look at what will serve both purposes and what could be left in a repository or forwarded to Santiago or wherever. Look at what you need not what you’d like to have.

Buen Camino and Bon Vacance

Actually Tinc most of our luggage allowances are typically 23 kilos not just 13. Let alone the additional 7 for the carry on. And whilst you make some excellent points, we don't all think, let alone travel in the same way.
Whilst I'm content to wear the same clothes for months on end for some reason many ladies don't seem to think the same way. (Which, personally, I applaud!).

Jenny, we have no idea as to where you're going afterwards, what you're carrying, and why. Assuming you have already refined your list as much as you care to, @Tincatinker does raise the point that you could consider sending some items ahead, perhaps to a hotel at your final destination if they were willing?

I'm assuming you're stopping in Conques, if you are anticipating going further then you might be better off to adopt Tinc's other suggestion and that is simply buying some of the items when you get there. Storage charges can be expensive.

Failing which, you may simply need to have two bags transported.

Hi @Intrepid Jenny S - we are a group of 4 Aussies walking the Le Puy next month. Two of us are transporting extra luggage end to end, and two are doing the daily transport thing. We are using La Malle for the first half, and Les Valises de Saint Jacques for the second half. In all cases we are sticking to the 13kg limit. Like you, we have before and after times in Europe, and so, as others have suggested, we have been/are being quite disciplined in our packing. But in truth, it's not too hard. Buen camino/bon chemin ...

Most read last week in this forum

Hello All - I just booked flight to Lyon and depart in 10 days as prices have finally dropped ! I have a list of accommodations etc... but would be grateful for any tips, favourite gites, wild...
When do the gîtes close in the fall? I would like to start in October and may still be walking during November if I become injured and have to slow down. I’ve walked the Camino Francés in the...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back