• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage Transport - Why?

If you have undertaken a Camino using Luggage Transport or Plan to - What's the main reason?

• I'm physically unable to carry my pack - age, health, injury...

Votes: 65 51.2%
  • It just makes sense. Why carry a full pack when I can just carry a day pack

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I'll be less tired at the end of the day

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I'll enjoy the walking more

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • I'm not used to hiking with a pack

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I'm just worried carrying a pack will be too hard for me

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I want to have a few luxuries that would make a pack too heavy

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I have to bring medical equipment that would make my pack to heavy

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • If the service is there, why not use it?

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 25 19.7%

• Total voters
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can you please tell what company did you use to transfer your pack
Jacotrans and Correos. Very easy to use and reliable. Tip, do not leave anything of value in your pack. I know for definite my pack had been gone through at least once whilst in transit or before collection/post drop off.

My husband and I walked the Camino Ingles in 2019. This experience was only one week out of a multi week trip to New York City, a conference in Warsaw, a side trip to Vienna, and another conference in Abu Dhabi, which entailed packing for multiple seasons, needs, and scenarios, plus accommodating materials, books, and gifts received from the conferences. We were very grateful to use luggage transport.

We are returning to walk the Frances in September and will again use luggage transport. This time we are also attending a conference in Berlin in conjunction with the Camino, but the main reason is that we are now both in our late 60s, my husband has some health issues, and our previous experience with luggage transport was so pleasant that we never really considered not using a luggage transport.
Thankyou for your feedback. I wonder did you have a suitcase or a backpack please?

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Thankyou for your feedback. I wonder did you have a suitcase or a backpack please?
In both cases (Camino Ingles, 2019 and Camino Frances, 2023), my husband and I walked with daypacks and had our suitcases transported. We experienced no problems and both of our Caminos were extraordinary experiences. I am returning in a month to walk the final 100ish miles of the Frances (Ponferrada to Santiago) with a couple of friends who were intrigued by my daily descriptions last fall and asked if I would accompany them this year on their own Walks. Both of my friends are in their late 60s, unaccustomed to walking great distances, and have medical issues. We are once again having our luggage transported, will walk with daypacks, and hopefully return with emotional baggage greatly lessened!

Try as I might, I can't get my pack below 15 lbs including 2L water and, at 73 with arthritic knees, it's difficult. My plan is to tranfer about 5 lbs/day in a small pack and carry the remaining 10 lbs in my very comfortable backpack. I want to enjoy the journey, not struggle. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Try as I might, I can't get my pack below 15 lbs including 2L water and, at 73 with arthritic knees, it's difficult. My plan is to tranfer about 5 lbs/day in a small pack and carry the remaining 10 lbs in my very comfortable backpack. I want to enjoy the journey, not struggle. Buen Camino!
If you’re crossing over to the other side, for perfectly sound reasons, you might as well ship 10 and carry 5. It’s not a competition other than against yourself.

Will follow this! Is driven by profit I think - a need/desire is seen (or invented) and paid services arise to satisfy that ..

but I do wonder if there is a correlation over the years between the rise of baggage transport and the ratio of religious pilgrims to hikers? (my assumption being that there is a rise in hikers and a drop in religious pilgrims - but only a guess) - and also, not judging, just interested.

I don't fit the categories - apologies ... I loathe wearing a heavy pack anyway (even a light one) and with my first aid kit it would have been completely not doable so I went down the route of designing and building a trailer - hey! luggage transport but by me for me!! :eek:
Have you shared any photos of it? I'd love to see it.

Can you please tell what company did you use to transfer your pack
If you type "luggage" or "luggage transport" (or some variation thereof) in the search, you'll find a lot of recommendations and lots of hits, some of which are about subjects that are good to know but you would never have thought of.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
but I do wonder if there is a correlation over the years between the rise of baggage transport and the ratio of religious pilgrims to hikers? (my assumption being that there is a rise in hikers and a drop in religious pilgrims - but only a guess) - and also, not judging, just interested
It seems to me that many who are walking for religious reasons may be less likely to be regular hikers and thus more likely to want or need to use luggage transport.

Regular hikers are more apt to be fitter and accustomed to using a backpack, so therefore less likely to use luggage transport.

If you are on the Camino Frances, it is unlikely you'll need 2 liters of water except maybe one day. The towns are close together and potable water is avaliable. That might help.

Am also returning to Camino Frances early Sept for an easy couple weeks of walking and then taking train to Barcelona to relax for several days. Just so many things have happened in my life during and since pandemic that I want a stress free pilgrimage to just process lots. Haven’t packed yet but hope I can manage my backpack but will use the transport option if necessary. I completed Camino Frances Sept 2019. Beautiful month to walk.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.