• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • October the 12th 2004 I posted the first post here on this forum. 20 years have passed. Thank you for being such a good group of people and for hanging around. More here in this thread. All the best from Santiago, Ivar

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon to Santiago on the Central, then return to Porto for the Coastal?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Various routes 2016 - 2024
Okay, I like looooong Caminos, and Lisbon to Santiago is "only" 600+ km, so I was thinking of walking from Lisbon to Santiago on the Central route, then taking the bus back to Porto (or Vila do Conde) and walking the Coastal. For comparison's sake. Not because I'm addicted to Caminos or anything like that.😂

I'm not interested in zigzagging between the two.

Has anyone else done this?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Whatever you decide, try not to miss the Espiritual Variant, which I don't consider zigzagging. The walk into amazing little Combarro, and visiting Amenteira's monastery, along with the awesome hour long boat ride to Padron were all special and not to be missed.

Whatever you decide, try not to miss the Espiritual Variant, which I don't consider zigzagging. The walk into amazing little Combarro, and visiting Amenteira's monastery, along with the awesome hour long boat ride to Padron were all special and not to be missed.
Yes I was going to make the exact same point, but as usual am one step behind!!

Did it recently…Comborro, was fab, and the monastery looked incredible (I didn’t stay) though apparently getting a bed can be tough though many do.

The boat trip was the highlight of the walk. Post boat I only walked a few kms north of Padron and which I initially regretted as ‘rest days’ aren’t my thing, but stayed at Albergue Lagar Jesus which was fab so I was glad to adhere to the plan!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is not a strange idea so whether anyone else has done it or not doesn't seem to matter to me. You're not suggesting anything weird like walking backwards or carrying a rice cooker or going by donkey. Walk a camino and then walk another one? Sure, why not?!

Since Chrissy mentioned the VE, an obvious idea is to include that variant on one of the caminos and not on the other one, to give you more variety. That way, you would only repeat basically two stages: Redondela to just past Pontevedra and Padrón to Santiago. Or if you prefer to mix it up a bit more but still keep the Portuguese flavour, after your first camino, take the bus to Braga instead and walk the Geira, or Viseu and walk the CPI + Sanabrés. Or for a longer continuous walk from Lisbon, walk the Caminho do Mar to Tomar via Fátima, which would add about four stages to the walk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking the Caminho Portugues from Porto to Santiago October 25 - November 11. I have walked several Caminos so I am ready and excited to start but have a few questions. 1) What is the...
Hello! My husband is currently on the Camino Portugues. He lost his wallet in between the cities of Ponte de Lima and Rubiaes. It's a small colorful wallet and it has 3 zippers. If you can...
Okay, I like looooong Caminos, and Lisbon to Santiago is "only" 600+ km, so I was thinking of walking from Lisbon to Santiago on the Central route, then taking the bus back to Porto (or Vila do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back