• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Lindsay’s Levante

Lindsay53

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019
Portugues 2022
VDLP 2023
Hola! Not quite 'live' yet, but 43 hours after walking out my front door I arrived in Valencia a couple of hours ago. Had a shower, then a nice meal and a beer in a bar across the road. Now ready for some sleep, but must share one thing first. This afternoon I dropped a 50 euro note at Chamartin station. Didn't notice but heard a woman calling after me to return it. The Camino is already providing.🙂

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola! Not quite 'live' yet, but 43 hours after walking out my front door I arrived in Valencia a couple of hours ago. Had a shower, then a nice meal and a beer in a bar across the road. Now ready for some sleep, but must share one thing first. This afternoon I dropped a 50 euro note at Chamartin station. Didn't notice but heard a woman calling after me to return it. The Camino is already providing.🙂
Thinking thinking thinking about the Levante and will be looking forward to hearing all about your walk. Are you walking alone and how much distance (a range) do you expect to do each day. Also would like to know what the weather is like in September and what's out there in the fields. Wishing I could be there this year but maybe next fall...

We don’t get too many “live from the Levante” threads, but I’m betting that there is a group of slightly hard-core peregrin@s here on the forum who will enjoy every post you care to make.

Wishing you a wonderful walk on this most wonderful Camino!
Yep like me!!!!

I will be five days behind you! I walked it 8 years ago (when I was 8 years younger:)). It is a wonderful Way. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day one, in Almussafes. Had not planned to walk this far on day one but when I got to Silla it seemed too early to stop. 7 hours from Valencia (5hr 45 min actual walking) 26k.
Mostly industrial estates and urban wasteland until Silla, then orchards and rice paddies. Yellow arrows are surprisingly plentiful once on the outskirts of Valencia, but some confusion at motorway and railway crossings. On arriving at the outskirts of Almussafes the arrows point in two different directions! I think one route takes you through town and a newer one tskes you around it.
I am holed up in Hotel Isabel, showered, rested and will soon get to the laundry and into the little jobs that are a pilgrims lot.

Thinking thinking thinking about the Levante and will be looking forward to hearing all about your walk. Are you walking alone and how much distance (a range) do you expect to do each day. Also would like to know what the weather is like in September and what's out there in the fields. Wishing I could be there this year but maybe next fall...
Hi Rita, I am.walking alone, like to average 25 k a day but this will increase on this Camino. Weather was high 20s, overcast and very humid. The humidity was the most noticable aspect today.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Lindsay, Those first few days get tiresome because of all the asphalt, but you will love what comes next! If you like castles, I would highly recommend arranging things so that you have the time and energy to walk up to the castle in Xátiva - it’s a 5-star! (Thanks to JLWV for the correction - I seem to be getting much more confused lately).

And thanks for telling us the names of the places where you are staying, that is so helpful to forum members who are planning. Buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:
I would highly recommend arranging things so that you have the time and energy to walk up to the castle in Moixent - it’s a 5-star!
Moixent? maybe you mean Xativa/Jativa

Buen Camino Lindsay; you start your trip in our first week of rain after a long summer of dryness....

Moixent? maybe you mean Xativa/Jativa

Buen Camino Lindsay; you start your trip in our first week of rain after a long summer of dryness....
Oh yes of COURSE, I mean Xátiva. Thanks, @JLWV, I have edited my post. It is really a spectacular castle. I don’t want Lindsay to suffer, but I really am hoping you will get some of that much needed rain!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello from La Pobla Llarga. Long hot walk today, only a few teasing raindrops then sun and humidity again. The donativo albergue is excellent! One must go to police station to check in, I did not call in advance, just showed up. The bloke at the desk took one look and said 'Camino?' They were friendly and efficient, gave me a lift to the albergue in a police car and gave me a tour of the facilities.
Air conditioning, washing machine, kitchen with fridge, microwave and hotplate and....utensils!!! Nice shower and toilet, 6 single bunks. No wifi though, but not an issue really
The last visitor was nearly one month ago.

BTW I won't be posting every day, just when I have some useful information or something interesting happens🙂

¡Buen Camino!

I was planning on starting this Camino later this month, but I changed my mind as I was finding a lot of lodging issues later in September (private rooms in places that were going on vacation or fully booked for a wedding in the pueblo, etc). I still have this high on my Camino Bucket List and look forward to reading about your experiences.

This is LIVE.
I have just seen on TV that today there were severe rains in CANALS, on your way, which make the river Canyoles growing (it was dry!!).
When in Canals get information, and if the river give problems take off the way and go by the road south of the river.
5 years ago due to flooding we marked the way on that road, but time going those marks will be no more visibles. (In that moment a young strong guy from Canada and an older french man could continue their way)

Jean-Luc

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is LIVE.
I have just seen on TV that today there were severe rains in CANALS, on your way, which make the river Canyoles growing (it was dry!!).
When in Canals get information, and if the river give problems take off the way and go by the road south of the river.
5 years ago due to flooding we marked the way on that road, but time going those marks will be no more visibles. (In that moment a young strong guy from Canada and an older french man could continue their way)

Jean-Luc
I passed through this area today Jean-Luc
While there is evidence of recent high water flow only once did I need to take off my shoes and wade over a ford, the others were dry. Thanks for the heads up!🙂

Hola from La Font de Figuera. Arrived in town after what should have been a straightforward 17 k walk from Moixent, however I allowed the nice scenery to distract me and ended up doing several extra kilometres via a motorway service centre before arriving to find the municipal albergue is shut this weekend because of a fiesta.
However the ladies at the town hall were nice and found me a great room in Hostal Rural Amable, so all is well.

The last few days have been good. There is a brand new rail trail from Manuel to Xativa that cuts about 3 k off the old route, and the way from Xativa to Moixent was fine if a little muddy in places.

The Moixent albergue however was a bit of a let down. Very basic and located in the same building as the police station, the place was filthy. Opened cans and bottles in the fridge, garbage including food scraps in the bins,
the bathroom sink and shower dirty, and I will leave the state of the toilet to your imagination. 🙂
The bedding was clean though, and I did a very thorough check for bedbugs and other creatures.

However thats life on the Camino!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
The Moixent albergue however was a bit of a let down. Very basic and located in the same building as the police station, the place was filthy. Opened cans and bottles in the fridge, garbage including food scraps in the bins,
When I walked the Levante, there was no albergue, and my companions stayed in the Red Cross building. They had a similar experience. I stayed in a casa rural.

It’s discouraging to think that other pilgrims are so inconsiderate. I admire your upbeat final sentence!

But think — you are done with all the asphalt!!!

My first stay in Moixent (2014) was in the barracks of the Red Cross (when the military service was still obligatory in Spain, one of the alternatives was to comply in the Red Cross instead of the army) and this albergue was not ‘nice’. After complaints it was transferred where you have been now, which looks not better according to your report.

That same year, in La Font I stayed at the old albergue, in changing room of the sport complex (I think Laurie also did). Now the albergue is a specific building nearby. The second time I stayed there was Saturday afternoon and it was imposible to contact with the Police, so I also went to the Hostal Rural, more expensive but very friendly.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Been an interesting couple of days. From Font de Figuera to Almansa was a nice walk in warm but humid weather. Stayed at the Residencia Esclaves de Maria, basic but clean.
From there headed "off track" to Alpera to break up the long 38k stage to Higueruela. I was a bit concerned here as efforts to contact the Alpera albergue had been unsuccessful. At the point where the road diverts from the 'official' camino there are plentiful crosses and arrows showing you the 'right' way, yet once off track there are a few arrows pointing towards Alpera.
On arrival the albergue and town hall were shut ( Sunday afternoon) but a very nice woman who lived near the albergue and spoke pretty good English saw my plght, made some calls, then walked me up to what I think was the mayors house to get a key andmy credencial stamped...The Camino Provides!.
This morning was a nice 21 k to Higuerela. Mostly quiet road walking with the last 7k farm tracks. Well marked with yellow arrows. Maybe this will become the official route?
Called ahead and collected the albergue keys from a bar with no.problem. Small, only 2 bunks, but OK.

Currently sitting outside the municipal albergue in La Gineta enjoying a well earned beer. It's only a re-purposed soccer change room but it is fit for purpose.
Met my first peregrinos two days ago in Chinchilla de Montearagon. An older French couple who were walking a section of the Camino Sureste. The.man is 86! I was suitably impressed.
The last few days have been mostly farm tracks with little shade and no water between towns. This has created a situation where I either do relatively short days, 20 k or so, or must do long days around 40k. I have chosen the short option. Not walking in the afternoon heat!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Currently sitting outside the municipal albergue in La Gineta enjoying a well earned beer. It's only a re-purposed soccer change room but it is fit for purpose.
Met my first peregrinos two days ago in Chinchilla de Montearagon. An older French couple who were walking a section of the Camino Sureste. The.man is 86! I was suitably impressed.
The last few days have been mostly farm tracks with little shade and no water between towns. This has created a situation where I either do relatively short days, 20 k or so, or must do long days around 40k. I have chosen the short option. Not walking in the afternoon heat!
Lindsay -- Am following you closely and taking notes! Thank you again for the journey reports.

You are so lucky to have gotten in! We had called the Ayuntamiento several days ahead because we knew we would be arriving on a Sunday and they told us to go to the policia local. Well,when we got there, no policia local were anywhere to be found and the sports complex was locked up tight.

We were lucky that there was a train coming by later that afternoon to take us ahead to La Roda. My walking partners were in no way interested in taking a train back the next day to walk those 22flat kms, and I had a hard time shaking the fact that this was the first time I had “skipped” a stage on a camino.

Will you be in the bull ring tomorrow?

You are so lucky to have gotten in! We had called the Ayuntamiento several days ahead because we knew we would be arriving on a Sunday and they told us to go to the policia local. Well,when we got there, no policia local were anywhere to be found and the sports complex was locked up tight.

We were lucky that there was a train coming by later that afternoon to take us ahead to La Roda. My walking partners were in no way interested in taking a train back the next day to walk those 22flat kms, and I had a hard time shaking the fact that this was the first time I had “skipped” a stage on a camino.

Will you be in the bull ring tomorrow?
Had no problem with the Ayuntamiento today, but its a weekday. Planning on the bullring in La Roda tomorrow, but after the hassles of last weekend dealing with the local government beurocracy I have booked ahead for Saturday and Sunday in private hostals.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Most interesting to read your posts Lindsey53. I walked the Levante in September/October 2015 and by now had almost forgotten that I had done so. It's a great camino. I remember staying in the bullring in La Roda and the following day's walk from there to San Clemente. That day became an epic Camino day for me because I managed to stray off the trail. I had hardly heard of Google Maps in 2015 and only used a Nokia non smart phone. My guidebook had rather limited maps and my Spanish was poor enough for me to misinterpret directions, so I ended up taking many hours more to get to the albergue in San Clemente. I haven't thought about that day in quite some time and your posts here are stirring some good memories for me. Thanks for that and do enjoy the rest of your journey to Zamora. ¡ Buen Camino ! and best wishes from Dublin.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.