• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightweight cooking Pot or Cup?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
OK. I'm over thinking this............again :)

But planning is fun! :rolleyes:

For our (Pat and I) next Camino we are doing a Hybrid.

1. The Madrid to Sahagun.
  2. Sanabres from Ourense to SDC
  3. Then Muxia Fisterra SDC.

As I write this I'm telling my self the answer is neither!
But..........

We may need to cook a couple of evening meals or breakfasts on the Routes 1 and 2 above when staying at Albergues.
I'm thinking of breakfast in Oseira for example. But there might be 2-3 more times.

So the question is, because I'm not carrying both.

Would you carry a very light (80g) titanium 600 ml pot. to use on a stove.
or
A similar size and weight 'cup', that could be used in a Microwave?

The question being of course, what is most frequently available?
A stove top or a microwave?

I'm more inclined to just make do with cold food.
Sardines and a bread roll are my go to DIY breakfast.

But 'madam' may require a boiled egg / instant noodles or something.......
Happy wife..........happy life. :)

Of course a Rice Cooker would be the obvious thing! :oops:
No. Not going there again..........

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm a little weird about being able to make coffee while on the road. I sometimes think it has more to do about me feeling 'autonomous' (however illusionairy) then the coffee, to be honest. Anyway, so I carry a Jetboil stove, have to go through the trouble to buy a gas cannister when I have to fly to my destination and I have to carry coffee (+ some teabags) and a mug obviously.

But there is method to my weirdness. I can do boiled eggs or instant noodles whenever I feel like or I can go for freeze-dried foods or soup when I'm going bush. But the greatest upside is that I can sometimes offer fellow walkers a cup of joe or tea in the middle of nowhere and see their surprise and delight. Worth the weight, as far as I'm concerned.

While not done the Madrid - but in Spain I normally carry a plastic jar shaped container as microwaves seem more common in many albergues than a cooker, plus it seals so it's great for leftovers! It also doubles as a mug!

In France and hiking at home I have taken a titanium pot with an alcohol stove - it has different benefits- but it's benefits comes from the stove

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I had a plain, no handles, microwavable cup (89 cents at Walmart) to heat water in the microwave. Added the small pan from an Asian Bazaar in Sarria for eggs, etc. for my student group in the barren Xunta kitchens. I also carried a spork. I saw a couple of guys who carried a 2-person paella pan clipped to the pack, which could be used as a skillet or for paella. They cooked thier own meals in this every night.

It is overkill, but I like to be prepared for those Xunta albergues in the middle of no where or where the only restaurant is closed the day I am there.

I always have a package of dry soup mix, some Baby Bell Cheese, a package of walnuts, instant coffee. At a store, if available, I would buy yogurt, eggs, and mandarin oranges for a breakfast the next morning.

I had a plain, no handles, microwavable cup (89 cents at Walmart) to heat water in the microwave.
I also had a very heavy-duty microwavable cup from Walmart that I used. Mostly for morning coffee or as a makeshift bowl to mix Muesli and yogurt.

I brought a little immersion coil heater along (coil club!) and a couple of times I used this to heat canned soup, and once even cooked a little pasta in the same cup when there were no open stores or restaurants, but I had found some old pasta noodles at the Albergue.

I had duct tape wrapped around the cup for both emergency repairs and because the water would get hot. Worked fine and never melted with the immersion heater. But of course, I was very careful.

IMG_1707.jpg

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
This was a question I had before walking in 2021. I was told the municipal albergues often don't have equipment so I took a lightweight titanium mug with the thought I could use it on the stoves. This being just after covid the kitchens were all closed but most albergues had useable microwaves but no cups. On my Pilgrimages since I have taken a strong plastic cup.
With there being two of you a titanium and a plastic mug could be a solution.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had a plain, no handles, microwavable cup (89 cents at Walmart) to heat water in the microwave. Added the small pan from an Asian Bazaar in Sarria for eggs, etc. for my student group in the barren Xunta kitchens. I also carried a spork. I saw a couple of guys who carried a 2-person paella pan clipped to the pack, which could be used as a skillet or for paella. They cooked thier own meals in this every night.

It is overkill, but I like to be prepared for those Xunta albergues in the middle of no where or where the only restaurant is closed the day I am there.

I always have a package of dry soup mix, some Baby Bell Cheese, a package of walnuts, instant coffee. At a store, if available, I would buy yogurt, eggs, and mandarin oranges for a breakfast the next morning.

Kindred spirit, hello 😉. I love outsmarting those stripped down kitchens. Fondly sandi, heading to the Norte on Tuesday

Kindred spirit, hello 😉. I love outsmarting those stripped down kitchens. Fondly sandi, heading to the Norte on Tuesday
Just be aware that the cheap pans don't work if the albergue has an induction cooktop. Works fine on the rest, but not at the one in O'Pedrouzo.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
You are likely to carry more than you need or will use. But if you don't take something you may starve on occasion.

I take a steel pot and mini gas burner. Steel pots usually come with a plastic bowl insert. the ones from Decathlon work well .

I found titanium became tarnished if used to cook with. And some are difficult to clean.

Just be aware that the cheap pans don't work if the albergue has an induction cooktop. Works fine on the rest, but not at the one in O'Pedrouzo.
I backpack with titanium pots. Great on a small gas stove. But I don't know if they would work on an induction cooktop and surely not in a microwave. I try to avoid plastic but I carry a small very light plastic cup on the Camino for emergency morning coffee and to share a bottle of wine in an albergue. Buen Camino

And possibly some kind of utensil? I stayed in an Air BnB in Prague in June - fabulously equipped kitchen but not a single dinner or steak knife. We ended up using a carving knife at the counter and eating American style with a fork.
My implement of choice is a titanium spork - longer lasting than plastic and never been snagged be security either. 🤞

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Small titanium pan that doubles as a bowl, small collapsible Tupperware-type container, titanium mug, immersion coil. Covers all bases: stovetop, oven, microwave, neither. Well worth the weight IMO! #TeamCoil 🤣

And possibly some kind of utensil? I stayed in an Air BnB in Prague in June - fabulously equipped kitchen but not a single dinner or steak knife. We ended up using a carving knife at the counter and eating American style with a fork.
My implement of choice is a titanium spork - longer lasting than plastic and never been snagged be security either. 🤞
We also buy a pocket knife with a sharp blade if we don't bring one from home. I am curious what eating American style looks like?

We also buy a pocket knife with a sharp blade if we don't bring one from home. I am curious what eating American style looks like?
I bought a copy of an Opinel in Puenta la Reina in 2012. 4,50€ and still going strong.

I think it's also called "cut-and-switch" - Use a knife and fork, cut the food up. Put down the knife. Transfer the fork to the right hand. Eat. It's obviously not common across all 50 states then?

One of my school teachers (we're talking about the 1960s here) was Anglo-French and helped train SOE and OSS agents being dropped into occupied Europe. She said one of the hardest lessons the OSS agents had to learn was to eat like a European.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I bought a copy of an Opinel in Puenta la Reina in 2012. 4,50€ and still going strong.

I think it's also called "cut-and-switch" - Use a knife and fork, cut the food up. Put down the knife. Transfer the fork to the right hand. Eat. It's obviously not common across all 50 states then?

One of my school teachers (we're talking about the 1960s here) was Anglo-French and helped train SOE and OSS agents being dropped into occupied Europe. She said one of the hardest lessons the OSS agents had to learn was to eat like a European.
Ok, as a rule, I was taught to be polite to keep one hand in your lap on top of your napkin when eating (after cutting something with two hands if course.) Never really thought of that as American.

Yep. Got one of those…
And a small pocket knife.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did well with a pocket knife and just a small spoon.

And of course, the microwavable cup and heat coil I mentioned above. Originally this was all designed for my coffee addiction, but I managed to cook a lot of things with those implements
A spoon is, after all, more useful than a fork. Imagine trying to eat soup . . . .

Mine is slightly extreme. I brought with me a dual voltage travel cooker (900 grams). Some albergues I stayed in on Frances do not have cooking facilities / some are super busy. It’s a commitment for sure, but as a vegetarian who does not take allium, it’s been worth while for me. I’ve boiled eggs, cooked instant noodles to frying rice (with pre-cooked rice/grains from Brillante which you can find in most supermarkets in larger towns).

I am happy I read your comment, Jeff! I got a laugh about how we Americans eat--and yes, that is how we do it in all 50 states. We just don't think of it being called 'American style'! When I was doing post-graduate work in England many years ago, The Society for Overseas Students said something about the group getting together to eat American style. What is that?, I asked. It was what we Americans call a potluck supper!

I also was pleased to add that bit of history from your school days to my repertoire! What a treasure to have had a teacher with such interesting experiences!

OK. I'm over thinking this............again :)

But planning is fun! :rolleyes:

For our (Pat and I) next Camino we are doing a Hybrid.

1. The Madrid to Sahagun.
  2. Sanabres from Ourense to SDC
  3. Then Muxia Fisterra SDC.

As I write this I'm telling my self the answer is neither!
But..........

We may need to cook a couple of evening meals or breakfasts on the Routes 1 and 2 above when staying at Albergues.
I'm thinking of breakfast in Oseira for example. But there might be 2-3 more times.

So the question is, because I'm not carrying both.

Would you carry a very light (80g) titanium 600 ml pot. to use on a stove.
or
A similar size and weight 'cup', that could be used in a Microwave?

The question being of course, what is most frequently available?
A stove top or a microwave?

I'm more inclined to just make do with cold food.
Sardines and a bread roll are my go to DIY breakfast.

But 'madam' may require a boiled egg / instant noodles or something.......
Happy wife..........happy life. :)

Of course a Rice Cooker would be the obvious thing! :oops:
No. Not going there again..........
BC (Before COVID) I found albergues to have such a variety of utensils in the kitchens, it was easy for me to prep my vegetarian meals. After lock down, I was shocked kitchens had nothing or next to nothing. Even newly remodeled albergues might have a microwave or a stove, but no way to use them. As others have mentioned, I, too, have found most places will have a microwave oven. I bought a good quality silicone zip-lock pouch-style container that I can use in the microwave to heat water or food, and it doubles as a to-go container. I've seen many sizes and styles for sale. I also have a collapsible silicone cup that I can use to make my cuppa from the heated water, and then use the zip pouch to heat the food while I sit back and sip.

Plastic beaker with lid as above that fits a Can or the like, also I might carry Coffee/Wine etc or leftovers, I tend to eat cold though, pick and mix with a Tin of Tuna..

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.