This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

LIVE from the Camino Life as a hospitalero: Salamanca

Photos: the river (taken from the Roman bridge, a nice tortilla, the Botanical Gardens (×2), the Urban Gardens, me pointing the way to the albergue).
That tortilla looks yummy. I am especially drawn to the colorful tablecloth with its display of the cheese/jamon. They look like cute flowers and sometimes presentation is everything.

David, I notice you look just like your avatar. Did you once say your wife had drawn it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I did indeed. She drew it for my personal sello, and I adopted it for my social media avatar. She drew it after my 2016 Camino, from which I returned with a beard (which I promptly shaved off). I think she was trying to ensure I never came back with a beard again. If do, she was successful. If I grow a beard on Camino, people won't recognize me from the stamp.

Well, you haven't seemed to age a day since that drawing from eight years ago.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Monday 21 October 2024

It's about 5 pm, so time for my daily update. A pretty busy day (relatively speaking) for the albergue, with 7 pilgrim guests (everyone can still have a bottom bunk). We have a couple of Spanish gentlemen a little older than me, one of those multinational Camino families with two French men and Australian and Belgian women, and, rolling in just now, another Spanish bicigrino.

After the usual morning chores, I went to visit the University. Although it was established in the 13th century, it didn't move to the current location until the late 15th century and most of what they are showing off is 16th century, give or take. The usual formal patio, grand staircase, elaborate chapel, etc. There is also a very pretty old library, which one can see (and a more modern one that wasn't open), as well as several historic lecture halls. After visiting this campus of the University, I went over to the College of Archbishop Fonseco, but it was closed to touristic visits today. So I decided to see some street art.

One of the pilgrims who stayed here (a French pilgrim who stayed an extra day) had mentioned that he had gone to see some street art near the Plaza del Oeste. He had found it on a website streetartcities.com. I decided to check it out and ended up downloading the app. Wow! There was a ton of street art in that neighborhood. I probably saw about half of what was there, just seeing the art to the west of the Plaza, and I took well over a hundred photos of different street art pieces (not all of it). But then it was time to head over to lunch. I will have to return to see what is east of the Plaza on another day.

Lunch was at the usual place. For the first course, patatas meneas, a local Salamancan dish, was recommended. Since a recommendation is not usually forthcoming, I accepted it. For the second course, I went with albondigas (meatballs) in sauce. After lunch, I did some shopping and headed back to the albergue for a rest. There were a couple of pilgrims waiting outside, and I invited them to leave their backpacks in the albergue until opening time. My rest was a bit longer than usual and instead of opening up 15 minutes early, I ended up opening up a couple of minutes late. Of course, these two pilgrims were waiting outside when I opened up. One had a copy of Peregrino magazine for me that had clearly been left by Correos. While I was checking them in, the multinational pilgrim family arrived. It was busy for a while. But it has very much settled down now.

Photos: lecture hall at the university; ceiling of the upper walkway around the patio, old university library, street art (x3)

I would be so grateful, David, if you could pop in to the Archive of the Civil War in calle Gibraltar round the corner from the Albergue and give an opinion. I have always wanted to venture in but been ‘en Camino’ before opening time or arriving too late. I was in Teruel and Valencia in the spring and visited bunkers, trenches and ammunition stores. There is much more openness about that painful period - indeed a museum is planned for Teruel..

I love that street art David, thanks for sharing. Feel free to post more!
It was one of the things that I loved about Berlin when I first visited 25 or so years ago, the street art. Some pieces are three or four stories high, just beautiful

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
It was one of the things that I loved about Berlin when I first visited 25 or so years ago, the street art. Some pieces are three or four stories high, just beautiful
Yes! On my list for my next visit!!

I agree about Berlin.. but wait till you get to Valparaiso (Chile)

Here's a link to a shared Google album of Salamanca Street Art: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZK3u11z2itMT7gZ2A. It took a while because one of the photos wouldn't back up and had to be deleted before I could share the album.

Edited to add: and it doesn't seem to work when I click it here, but if I copy the link and paste it in Chrome, it works fine.

Street Art is a big thing in recent years and it seems to be nearly everywhere. In my town, nearby city and surrounding areas it has really "taken off" so to speak.
I see many new artistic paintings on my Caminos, too, on the sides of buildings and it is a refreshing change from that awful gold color, dried out foam that was so prevalent a number of years ago.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Works fine on safari! Much appreciated!!

So interesting — it looks to me like very little of this has a political message. My only comparison is Oaxaca, Mexico. There’s a lot of similar street art, but I would say that at least 75% of it expresses a political opinion. I wonder if I’m right and if so, why that would be the case in Salamanca.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum