Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Legend of the nine rings of Ourense

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is the Monastery of St Estevo which is now a Parador, right? Omg, now I REALLY want to spend a night there! (for reference and prices: https://paradores.es/en/parador-de-santo-estevo)

I admit the title of this thread surprised me a bit, as the first thing that came to mind was Tolkien's "One ring to rule them all."

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

But the video is very interesting, I wish there was more detail on what the author wrote and how/where they found the iteams. I may search for a longer version at the BBC website, thanks for posting! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Whenever one is challenged as to why there should be a publicly-funded broadcaster in the UK, not dependant on 50% rubbish and 50% adverts; I point them at the World Service; In our Time on Radio 4 and BBC Reel.

It’s a lost cause sadly, it’ll be game shows and junk food adverts within the decade.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is the Monastery of St Estevo which is now a Parador, right? Omg, now I REALLY want to spend a night there!
The parador is closed in January and February. This usually means that there are some very cheap rates offered early in the year to get the traffic going again. I saw a promotion, and though I can’t remember what i paid, it was crazy cheap! It is probably my favorite parador. Ancient building, in an amazing setting far from crowds, with some Romanesque churches and monasteries very near. And the views over the Sil River gorge nearby are AWESOME!!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
See this earlier thread for more about the rings. I have spent several days in this area and it is just full of magical places and beautiful views. The Parador itself is in a spectacular setting. There are a few nice walking trails from there as well.
What an awesome sounding trip!

I did search the forum for possible posts about this legend but nothing came up.

I read the book a couple of years ago after reading about it on this forum, then subsequently visited the monastery. It's a magical place on its own, but having the story brought to life by being there was really something.

The original book in Galego is called O Souto dos Catro Ventos. It's been translated into Spanish (I believe self-translated by the author) as El Bosque de los Cuatro Vientos. It's one of my favourite books of the more than 100 I've read in Galego. Doesn't look like there's an English translation yet. Maybe I'll translate it myself someday!

The Ribeira Sacra is a gorgeous part of Galicia. There's a 7-day walk (not a Camino de Santiago) in the area that takes in Santo Estevo along with many other monasteries and Romanesque churches. It's called the Camiño do Monxe. I haven't done it yet, but it's on my list: https://ocaminodomonxe.com/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There's a 7-day walk (not a Camino de Santiago) in the area that takes in Santo Estevo along with many other monasteries and Romanesque churches. It's called the Camiño do Monxe. I haven't done it yet, but it's on my list:
OMG, I have been to many of those places and done some more or less disjointed walking from one to the other, but to have a camino all plotted out is really pretty awesome. No other walk that I can think of has an end stage in a parador! There are wikiloc tracks, though I see some annotations about the tracks having been changed, but in any event, man oh man am I tempted!

Most read last week in this forum

This afternoon I arrived in Zamora 🇪🇸 to start the Vía de la Plata/Sanabrés to Santiago de Compostela. This will be a test for my new hip which I received in March🚶🏼‍♀️👟 🎒. I've walked this...
My first Camino is due at the end of August, an old dream comes true. I'm retired, I have time already. For a long while I insisted going to the CF. As I learned more - especially on this forum...
So I’ve been doing alot of research on the VDLP. A long long walk :) My friends friend finished the VDLP on March 28 of this year and stayed about 12 kms from Santiago. Is that a good distance or...
Hi everyone! I may have the opportunity to go on Camino on the last week of January 2025 and seriously considering the Sanabres. I've read many posts and researched about the weather. Still, does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back