This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Legend of the nine rings of Ourense

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is the Monastery of St Estevo which is now a Parador, right? Omg, now I REALLY want to spend a night there! (for reference and prices: https://paradores.es/en/parador-de-santo-estevo)

I admit the title of this thread surprised me a bit, as the first thing that came to mind was Tolkien's "One ring to rule them all."

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

But the video is very interesting, I wish there was more detail on what the author wrote and how/where they found the iteams. I may search for a longer version at the BBC website, thanks for posting!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Whenever one is challenged as to why there should be a publicly-funded broadcaster in the UK, not dependant on 50% rubbish and 50% adverts; I point them at the World Service; In our Time on Radio 4 and BBC Reel.

It’s a lost cause sadly, it’ll be game shows and junk food adverts within the decade.

Very cool BBC Reel series has this interesting legend of the nine 'miracle' rings from monasterio s Estevo close to Ourense:

The Sanabre from Ourense is a wonderful shorter Camino, not as popular but very rewarding.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Sanabre from Ourense is a wonderful shorter Camino, not as popular but very rewarding.
It is on my list. (Although I already know the part where it is joined by Invierno. Liked it a lot.)

This is the Monastery of St Estevo which is now a Parador, right? Omg, now I REALLY want to spend a night there!
The parador is closed in January and February. This usually means that there are some very cheap rates offered early in the year to get the traffic going again. I saw a promotion, and though I can’t remember what i paid, it was crazy cheap! It is probably my favorite parador. Ancient building, in an amazing setting far from crowds, with some Romanesque churches and monasteries very near. And the views over the Sil River gorge nearby are AWESOME!!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What an awesome sounding trip!

I did search the forum for possible posts about this legend but nothing came up.

I read the book a couple of years ago after reading about it on this forum, then subsequently visited the monastery. It's a magical place on its own, but having the story brought to life by being there was really something.

The original book in Galego is called O Souto dos Catro Ventos. It's been translated into Spanish (I believe self-translated by the author) as El Bosque de los Cuatro Vientos. It's one of my favourite books of the more than 100 I've read in Galego. Doesn't look like there's an English translation yet. Maybe I'll translate it myself someday!

The Ribeira Sacra is a gorgeous part of Galicia. There's a 7-day walk (not a Camino de Santiago) in the area that takes in Santo Estevo along with many other monasteries and Romanesque churches. It's called the Camiño do Monxe. I haven't done it yet, but it's on my list: https://ocaminodomonxe.com/

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
There's a 7-day walk (not a Camino de Santiago) in the area that takes in Santo Estevo along with many other monasteries and Romanesque churches. It's called the Camiño do Monxe. I haven't done it yet, but it's on my list:
OMG, I have been to many of those places and done some more or less disjointed walking from one to the other, but to have a camino all plotted out is really pretty awesome. No other walk that I can think of has an end stage in a parador! There are wikiloc tracks, though I see some annotations about the tracks having been changed, but in any event, man oh man am I tempted!

Doesn't look like there's an English translation yet. Maybe I'll translate it myself someday!
Wendy you should by all means see about doing this translation. It doesn’t look to me like any of her books have been translated.

It’s interesting that María Osuña’s background is similar to Dolores Redondo, who wrote the Baztán trilogy, which is a great read especially for those walking the Baztán. Both young female lawyers writing mysteries anchored in local folklore. At least some of Redondo’s books are translated into English, though. Time to give María Osuña a push into a broader market, IMHO!

p.s. I just ordered a hard copy Spanish version on ebay for about $20 with shipping free. I just can’t read on kindle, but it is available on kindle for much less!

Well it deserves examination. I’ve got a second-hand hard copy of the book ordered at £4 and (possibly) a Carta Sacra for €12. Ordering process not super-simple, it’s the usual ‘direct bank transfer accompanied by the signatures of all four grandparents’ so common in Spain. The IBAN number isn’t complete etc etc, still €12, it’s worth a try..

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
a Carta Sacra for €12.
I thought that was an unusually steep price for what seems to be a credential.

BTW, I have been in contact with the author of the wikiloc tracks and he tells me that the route was re-jiggered in 2023, but that you will find the 2023 tracks on his wikiloc page. But the older tracks are still there too, so pay attention to the date. Lots of pictures to whet your appetite, this looks like a wonderful walk.

Most read last week in this forum